Thread: Heat temps

RC Qualifier

Heat temps

Hey guys umm I have a problem. I ordered a 2s and 3s battery. Uh and my temps right now are pretty hot I think cause with the stock 23-86 gearing with vxl it is so hot I can only touch the motor for like 4seconds or so

i was thinking the same thing before which is why i geared mine down. but i called traxxas and they said that you can safely run the vxl motor up to around 170-180 degrees all the time before you start running into issues. i asked what gearing i should run with my 2S 25C 5000mah battery and they said the stock gearing would be plenty fine. havent run it back on stock yet to get any temp readings but with as hot as it can safely run your probably still in the safe zone. only real way to tell is to get you a temp gun of some sort though. you could always look into a heat sink if your still worried though.
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

That sounds hot but get a temp gun so you'll know for sure. Don't ruin that motor.. it'll only get hotter on 3s.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    Temp gun is a must
    Merv, Sl4sh, P4de, Embe, Slash
    2400/2200/4000kv

RC Qualifier
    yea i know. my gramps has one he isnt using i dont think so maybe i will persue that. what gearing would i use if my motor was to hot?

EDIT: btw i wanted to thank everyone for the replys.

well im still playing with the gearing myself to figure out the limits but so far im running 86/20 and thats only at about 115 degrees. i would say drop down pinion gear 1t at a time until you get a safe range. the stock gearing is 86/23 which is a gear ratio of 3.74:1 any thing with a lower gear ratio will cool it off. for example my gearing of 86/20 is a ratio of 4.3:1. the higher the numatic number the lower the gear ratio. to figure out the gear ratio take your spur gear tooth count (86) and divide it by the pinion tooth count (23) and the answer you get is 3.7391304348. after rounding out to 2 decimal places you get 3.74 meaning that your gear ratio is 3.74:1

hope this helps
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    Ok so what is the normal temps for a motor and esc (velinilon)?

like i said, i called traxxas and anything up to 170-180 degrees is safe for the motor. they didnt give me an exact answer on the esc but my guess is much over 100 degrees is bad. exact temp for esc not sure. but you can always get the fan which mounts on top to be safe.
    Drag It!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceroad2 View Post
    Hey guys umm I have a problem. I ordered a 2s and 3s battery. Uh and my temps right now are pretty hot I think cause with the stock 23-86 gearing with vxl it is so hot I can only touch the motor for like 4seconds or so
    Your motor should handle 2s no problem, but you might consider an aluminum transmission for extended 3s use. What fun is 3s if you can't run it all day long.

Another option would be the STRC motor plate but that won't do as good as a complete alu tranny.

Sent from Tapatalk version 3.14159265359
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Ok yeah I have a fan for the esc. Got my 2s and 3s spc lipos today now I have to wait for my onyx charger.