RC Racer

Does this make sense to you guys ??

Last week I redid my differentials on my car. The rear one was bone dry. I don't have any traxxas oil here so I used Tri Flow in the rear end. Its really light oil. The front differential had thick oil in it yet but I added a little Tri Flow to it as well. I have noticed that the car doesn't want the back end to spin out as bad anymore. I'm guessing the thicker the oil the more it locks up the differential. I would think you would want the front end locked up more than the back end. I really notice a difference it is night and day !!! I see on the funny cars they are locking up the differential which is the opposite as what the XO-1 would want. When I have my car in the air I hold one tire give it some throttle and when I let go of a rear tire it takes a while to catch back up to the other tire. When I hold a front tire and let it go it takes right off. With the thicker oil in the rear end it makes it have more of a posi traction in the back which would make it more prone to spin outs. With the lighter oil its less opt to spin both tires at the same time and lets it have just enough time for the other tire to grab when the other tire is spinning. Does this make sense to you guys ?? Like I said I notice the difference night and day !!!
    Last edited by XO-1 NUT; 09-02-2012 at 05:11 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Wow, Tri-Flow is very thin. Smells funny too! My guess is instead of doing a 4WD 'rolling burnout' under heavy throttle and mercilessly spinning all four tires, the thin oil allows the tire with less traction to spin up while the one with more traction remains better planted, reducing the tendency of the rear end to loop out.

I always thought having a firmer rear end was more beneficial since it would provide better stability once it gets loose, but I suppose just allowing the drivetrain to sort out traction for itself is more ideal with the brutal power from the XO-1 on low traction surfaces.

RC Qualifier
    Stock front diff oil is 100k. Stock rear diff oil is 10k. If you had zero diff oil in the rear then the addition of anything is going to help out.
    E Revo brushless, XO-1, Nitro 4 tec 3.3, HPI RS4

RC Racer
    I'm just saying right now it drives the best since I've owned it. I didn't know that the front and back were different oils. Maybe thats why the rear differential leaked out because it is thinner. I know that from now on whenever I refill the oil levels I'm going to be using tri flow in the back. Try it sometime I bet you'll be amazed.

RC Champion
    Two birds with one stone. You had Tri flow on hand instead of the real stuff and your diff works better filled than empty. I don't stock tri flow so I'll just keep using the suggested fluids that have the viscosity ratings marked on the bottle.

RC Racer
    I'm saying it runs better now than when I bought it brand new. By Far !! It is so easy to drive I don't even worry about the car wanting to spin out with too much acceleration.

RC Champion
    Okay, well maybe your on to something then.