Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    RC Champion
    26awg should be fine for your servos.

RC Qualifier
    Don't have any that small but will help a lot being about to go down in size in places

Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    Modding the stock mount is pretty easy
    Hogged out the mount holes a bit on the mount.
    Depending on pinion used a hi tec spacer plate needs to be made.Lol
    OR do this for about 50 cents..and some longer bolts.same on the other side.

Sent using lipo power
    I know I'm a little late to the party with this, but another way to cheaply shim the motor is to use a 1-3/4" x 1/8" washer, drill out the screw holes and notch out for the can tabs (clearly visible in jamann's photo.) I used two washers to space the motor back further. Only the first washer (against the face of the motor) needs the notches cut. The only "special" tools I used were a drill press and Dremel cutoff disc. Sorry for the iPod pics.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Yours look better ,that's for sure
    Likely works better too

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    Yours look better ,that's for sure
    Likely works better too

Sent using lipo power
    Will have to agree!

Also got my other parts in the mail today mainly my Rx box to see if the Punk Steering Computer would fit in it....well it fits quite nicely. Punk comes with a clear shrink wrap and would advise using it as I did. Why used velcro to hold it down in the Rx box. Also have to take apart the Servo plugs to get them threw to the outside. Easy with a small needle or the like just be careful and do not bend the plastic retainer back to much. HM this is for you as if I remember correctly you where the one wondering about this, if you don't already know it.

RC Champion
    Very nice and tidy!

RC Qualifier
    Yep nice and tidy only problem is where is all this stuff going to go, without wrecking the low center of gravity. Kinda scraped my fan layout and another one. Had weight just to high to my liking but liable to be stuck with also.

Although mine does work.
    Over a year now no issues
    Now if I could just get captain idiot
    To learn where to gas it and where not to. Lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Well this is where it stands right now, and still have to figure out where to put this monster of a BEC.
    Bracket off the front shock mount holds the Punk all wheel steering computer inside the Rx box, and lined the curves of the bracket with the rubber that is used to hold screens inside window frames, split and clued on the Alum bracket to protect the motor wires from vibration on the Alum.

Rx Box is not anchored yet, checking wire lengths, and looks like there will be some wires shortened as well as lengthened.

Looking from Front to rear over the motor

Low view from the rear

Alum Rocker Arms are from Hot Racing and not sure how they will work as the screws have to go from the bottom up.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Edstoys View Post
    HM this is for you as if I remember correctly you where the one wondering about this, if you don't already know it.
    That's a good size reference I have a pretty good idea of the punk's rough dimensions now. Approx how thick is it? I'm still waiting for mine.

I plan on putting mine in my hacked up rx box so that all connections are concealed to retain my water resistance. That's the "plan" but it always seems plans change once all your parts are layed out in front of you.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Qualifier
    When mounting the Punk in the Rx box hoping the changing color function light would show threw on the Rx box indicator window, and it does

Everything is powered up and works, except BEC in not on yet nor the lights are hooked up. So with that wiring all done time to finish putting it back together. Steel Drive shaft, wheels, etc. In the pic it is togeather enough to get the major components wired up and make sure they worked.

Hopefully and baring any sudden problems should have a running video of some short in a day or two.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-21-2012 at 10:29 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Nice labels on the Rx's... lol
    I had the box mounted the other way... with the aluminum panel toward the motor.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Harder to wire and get to that way, but figures I would put in backwards from the designer Labels are to help confused owner keep things straight and make sure things get connect right. LOL each Rx connection has inscribed in it where it goes using a awl, Ch 5, etc. LOL

Having trouble with the Rx keeping their binding, lose it every time batteries are disconnected or a couple of time just turning the ESC off.
    Last edited by Edstoys; 09-21-2012 at 05:23 PM.

Hmm....
    I had similar issues, but only when running off from the ESC BEC. I was drawing too many amps and having brown outs.

RC Qualifier
    No BEC, and drive shaft is in, but no wheels, Just checking to make sure everything was hooked up right. Come to think of it only had one battery hooked up. But when I hooked two up had to rebind "B" Rx again. Have not gone back down sense disconnecting everything so have not checked it again. Lights are not hooked up and steering arms are not even hooked up either so wouldn't think there was that much of a load on it.....but what do I know !

RC Qualifier
    With both batteries hooked up, both Rx's stayed binned this time. Have to get used to running two Rx's and not just one, so need both batteries hooked up to do any checking.

RC Qualifier
    New additions.
    This is what was originally planed and was not sure how the plastic would handle all the vibration, even with all the reinforcement added.

Then after seeing Jimmie's decided to go ahead with an Alum. one, originally was worried about adding weight. A lot stronger and no flex in the Alum. what so ever. Made from 1/8" x 1 1/2" flat stock bent in a vice.

Shown with plastic one setting next to it. Alum one is not as wide, but able to get it lower by clearing the trany.

Also made protection for my rear steering servo saver, should keep it from hitting when climbing over things.

RC Qualifier

RC Champion
    Great work!!

Jimmie I think your little bar idea is a big hit! Between you and Eds, and me to soon make mine.. hahah it's the new look!

Eds isn't it great when you start making your own alum pieces!? Nice skid plate =)

It is so simple and effective I am surprised it has not been done before... lol

RC Qualifier
    Well Finally truck is running again. But sorry to say battery in my camera was so low would not activate the video, so took a couple of shots. Got lights left to do and getting the truck back in one piece.

Crab steering

Normal rear steering, and figured everyone knows what it looks like with the rear steering locked out LOL

Punk steering computer is in the Rx box and CC BEC on top for now, not sure if it will stay there or not.

Kinda concerned about where the BEC is right now but will get a good air flow there. This pic also just reminded me got fans still to mess with LOL but it runs now !!!

RC Champion
    I noticed that my same BEC's don't even get warm when I'm using them!

Great setup, I love how it's come along!

That rear steering servo, I looked it up... $180!?

RC Qualifier
    Double post when I tried to edit Need a personal delete
    Last edited by Edstoys; 09-23-2012 at 01:16 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    I noticed that my same BEC's don't even get warm when I'm using them!

Great setup, I love how it's come along!

That rear steering servo, I looked it up... $180!?
    Thanks Krallopian ! Might try the BEC inside the lid of the Rx box and see how it does. Your input will help as I was not real sure how hot they get.

Yep those servo's are not cheap, and same one for the front. With the alum wheels and mud slingers mounted figured was better off getting a good servo than burning a couple of boarder line models up.

Lights are going to be my next nightmare. Trying to keep the wiring all nice and neat LOL

RC Qualifier
    Needed a box for my switch (FS-Switch) that will control my lights and fan. So remembered when I ordered my Rx boxes ordered 3. Took two and cut them in half, gluing them back together using Lock Tight epoxy for plastic. Sense the case is so thin decided to glue a piece of plastic to the bottom, then make a top out of aluminum. Gasket, took old screen spline (rubber piece that holds the screen in the frame) and glued that in the channel. Came out a little out of square but it works.

Parts

Top all put together. Why leave both wire channels? one will have the wires going to the rear of the truck and the other one will have the wires going to the front and body.

Side view

Bottom

Checked it for being water tight and will not take being submerged but other than that pretty water resistant.

Until I read Krall's post I was worried about having my BEC in a very tight Rx box with absolutely no airflow.

RC Qualifier
    Like wise that's why mine is where its at. Still not to sure about putting it in the Rx box due to CC saying max output is with a 5 mph wind blowing across the BEC.

"Ratings are determined with a 5mph
    airflow on the BEC. Servo connectors are
    not rated for current in excess of 5 amps.
    Users are encouraged to replace the
    connectors if more than 5 amp currents
    are anticipated."
    Last edited by Edstoys; 09-23-2012 at 12:57 PM.

RC Qualifier
    IF connecting a CC BEC to the Rx and NOT into ch 2 do you still need to disconnect the red wire?

The red wire from the ESC to the Rx?
    If so, yes. If you do not disconnect this wire, you will be feeding the Rx from two different sources.

Remember, all the positive and negative wires from all devices plugged into the Rx are hooked up in parallel.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    The red wire from the ESC to the Rx?
    If so, yes. If you do not disconnect this wire, you will be feeding the Rx from two different sources.

Remember, all the positive and negative wires from all devices plugged into the Rx are hooked up in parallel.
    Thanks; Wanting to make sure, so guess the BEC feeds power threw the other two wires as well. Just did not make sense to disconnect the red wire which usually is the wire power is feed threw. But again told ya anything below 12VDC and I am confuseded

RC Enthusiast
    On the rear steer system, what is the peice that goes from the blue servo arm down to the shiny chrome peice? Looks like TRA 5341.

RC Champion
    The BEC's haven't gotten hot in MY applications, so as far as I've seen- they don't get hot. 5mph breeze doesn't sound like much, but for taking heat away it's huge.

So just run it for awhile, see how hot it gets.. if it's barely even warm, it's going to be fine. If it's hot, then........ not a good idea to put it in a sealed box. =)

Still trying to find that servo saver on ebay.. not working out haha

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by corey.hoard View Post
    On the rear steer system, what is the peice that goes from the blue servo arm down to the shiny chrome peice? Looks like TRA 5341.
    That's it Traxxas Part #5341 Linkage Steering Revo 3.3 (2)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    The BEC's haven't gotten hot in MY applications, so as far as I've seen- they don't get hot. 5mph breeze doesn't sound like much, but for taking heat away it's huge.

So just run it for awhile, see how hot it gets.. if it's barely even warm, it's going to be fine. If it's hot, then........ not a good idea to put it in a sealed box. =)

Still trying to find that servo saver on ebay.. not working out haha
    Mine so far has not got hot and did put it in the lid of the Rx box, but did not get to test it more than about 5 min. when my ESC quite, so have a new one ordered. So will be down until Oct 5 or 6th when it is supposed to be delivered.
    Everything on the truck works but the motor, and ESC will not take programming at all even with the Rx bond just keeps flashing green real fast.

RC Qualifier
    Got my fan configuration figured out. Decided to go with a bigger fan over the ESC and used same size that is on the motor.
    This meant having to build a alum. bracket and supports for the fan. Used 1 1/2" x 1/8" alum for the fan support and 1/4" solid alum. drilled/tapped at both ends. Also had to cut the top off a couple of 3mm screws, screwed these into the supports then threw the ESC and into the chassis.
    Main point of this build besides getting the new radio system installed was also making it as reliable as possible. Fans will be controlled remotely and not tired together.

The fan bracket and supports where built without using a drill press. Dremel, files, and cordless drill, tap w/ in hand held "T"
    Again trying my best to do this so anyone can do this.
    Last edited by Edstoys; 09-29-2012 at 08:04 PM.

RC Racer
    your rig is wickid nice you've really done a great job with it. I don't know about that last sentence tho? I'm pretty sure you've surpassed my skills....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 04zrx View Post
    your rig is wickid nice you've really done a great job with it. I don't know about that last sentence tho? I'm pretty sure you've surpassed my skills....
    Thanks for the nice comment on my rig, myself feel there are others on this board that are done better. Don't know how you think I have surpassed your skill level, just takes a little patience and time. Like stated all that was used was a Dremel, files, cordless drill, and a hand held tap.
    Last edited by Edstoys; 09-30-2012 at 09:29 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Decided to relocate my CC BEC out of the Rx box with the Punk.
    Want to know if anyone see any potential problems with where it is mounted now.
    Sorry about the last two being so out of focus, just does not like close ups.

Last edited by Edstoys; 09-30-2012 at 09:31 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Guess no one see's any potential problems with my BEC new location. Great!

Also just ordered me a Tekin 1/8 Rx8 Brushless System/T8 2000kV, with HotWire Interface. So will have my stock motor set up for nasty stuff and the Tekin system for Blue bird days, no water involved. Did a lot of research and hope I picked a good unit.

Anyone that has installed this system, does everything mount up pretty straight forward, or is there some bracket making involved?

You will need to make a mounting plate for the tekin esc.i used a piece of thick lexan some heavy duty Velcro and a couple zip ties.im sure you will do something better.just be careful,the tekin and a 2000kv motor even on 4s
    Is a monuMENTAL amount of power
    Added
    It is pretty much impossible not to dip into it wayyyy to often.lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried