Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    RC Qualifier
    Thanks for all the well wishes and good mojo.

Got my Dewalt 14.4V motor installed and all I got to say is WOW. As heavy as my truck is and with a 17t gear on the Dewalt truck almost wants to do a wheelie, almost Also cured that sagging on my rig by installing a set of hot racing 19# high lift springs. PN# RVO5075 and can be bought at Hobby Etc. http://www.hobbyetc.com/item.cgi?par...V3KQ2YFMqozRhw. Will get a different set for the front later also need to decide on which ones to use. Fig. the 19# might be a little heavy for the front.
    Also got my replacement light control switch from china, to be able to finish this build. Figures tho will not have time to get it finished until sometime in Dec.
    When that is all done, next step will be to try and get a winch on the front.
    Endeavoring to persevere !

RC Champion
    I'm confused, because the stock double orange are 5.4n/mm which is about 30lb/in so how are your 19lb/in springs stiffer!? I'm thinking either I did the math wrong, or you've doubled up?
    Last edited by krallopian; 11-19-2012 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Math was wrong, BUT was too low!

RC Qualifier
    Here are some pics of the final layout. Everything that is going to get painted is done, well except the chassis might dye it black later. Switch with the 7 channels to control the lights and fans is not installed, but some wires are run so there is an idea of where they will be when it is done. Enjoy, and hope this mess has/will help people with their own builds. As far as the rear steering system goes, it is very close to what Krall has done with his, so any questions about my system am sure he will be able to help with my absence and not getting the building of material list done.

Top View

Elevation of Rx box that contains two receivers. Courtesy of Jimmie N.

ESC side of chassis. Redid the fan support. Fans will be controlled separably and are not hard to remove for winter runs.

Front

Front showing box that 7 channel control switch will go in. Box is made out of the bottom of two Rx boxes w/ aluminum top.

RC Qualifier
    Rear

Front guards attached to Tbone A arm skid plates.

Rear showing wiring night mare.

Rear steering arm guards attached to T bone A arm skid plates

Rear wheel steering sytem

RC Champion
    Wow you have a LOT of gear on there, and it's all very tidy which makes this so much more impressive! I'm really digging these custom rx boxes you have, they turned out very well!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    I'm confused, because the stock double orange are 5.4n/mm which is about 30lb/in so how are your 19lb/in springs stiffer!? I'm thinking either I did the math wrong, or you've doubled up?
    Not sure on that myself, Krall. The 19# springs are spaced out more and seem to be a tad stiffer when I pressed them between my fingers, but you may be right. Have only been able run it the house on carpet so they may be weaker, but do know the truck does not sag near as much when the throttle is applied from a stand still. And no not double up yet, but been contemplating cutting some springs down to add another one with it. Meaning cut two down so can get two different weight springs on one shock.

RC Qualifier
    Probably a little late, but good luck today Ed. Hope all goes well.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Qualifier
    Well Phase 1 (surgery) and phase 2 (2 wks rehab) have been completed and now am home. How long before am able to do any work on the summit is unknown at this time and guess healing rate what will deter-main this as well. At lest am home and out of rehab!

HeyOK got your parts in the mail while away from home, will be in contact when I get to that state as I have a few questions on the BEC.

Great to be back home!!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Glad to hear from you!!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Glad to see you back. Hope all went well!!!
    Tekin powered Summit

Glad to see you back focus on rest and healing up.The summit will work you trying to follow it. Lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Great to have you back

Hope everything went suitably satisfying
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

Awesome news mate , nice to have you back!
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Welcome back!

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Qualifier
    Well hooked up my batteries today after giving them a full charge and wouldn't you know it, burned up ground wires again.
    So back to rewiring when it is stand able and try to figure out what I did this time. Real head scratchier is ran the truck for about an hr the day before surgery an everything ran fine. Must have something that is real touchy on this thing.
    This time when rewiring going to make sure all wire ends are tinned and connections are good and solid (which was done before)
    Hope when I do down to start looking at it don't find a 2 wire connector one wire over to the wrong side on a 3 wire connector or more likely got one upside down which would put the hot on ground and ground on hot. If I did that am going to be banging my head on a wall....just hope it is not a dumb mistake like that, but then again that would be easy to fix as well,...other than just running new ground wires and checking all connections. This thing might look real trick but is turning out to be a real pain for me.

RC Qualifier
    Well recovery is going slow, but proceeding in a positive note. Mean time it has given me a lot of time to work out some of the bugs that still where creating problems in my Summit, mainly glitching when the all wheel steering was used. Happy to say that has been finally worked out, but took yet another electrical component from China to correct it. Sorry to say that is all I will be able to say about it other than it is made for RC Helicopters, and is called a RotorStar Dual Power 15A Voltage Regulator. This did away with all glitching as well as the CCBEC was no longer needed. Pics to fallow as soon as it get a couple of things finalized. But is anything ever finalized on these custom builds. Next step is to build a water proof box to put the Punk all wheel steering computer and the Rotostar in. Then pull my steering servos and get them water proofed and will then hopefully have a waterproof Summit.

RC Qualifier
    Pictures as promised !
    One thing left to configure and that is to get the gold looking thing on tip of the Rx box incorporated into a waterproof box ( I will have to make it) along with the Punk 4 wheel steering computer that is now in the stock Rx box.

Batteries are not always in the truck, tried to make a video and it did not come out so good so will try again later. The box to the right on the hand made alum. bracket and box contains the MF switch that controls the fans, and lights.

opposite side, which also shows the 9v battery (also a holder for another 9v battery below the top one) which powers the lights/fans

Both the ESC and Motor fan along with the 3 sets of front lights as well as the roof lights are controlled remotely.

Receiver box is water proof by using liquid tap

Front bumper is a Pro-line altered with pro-line lights

Rear steering
    Last edited by Edstoys; 02-12-2013 at 05:27 PM.

RC Competitor
    Wow! Looks really pro.
    Summit, dewalt 12v, 18/68 gear, T-bone skids

I wonder...
    if something like Corrosion X or liquid tape would be the way to go for the BEC. It looks so at home where you have it. lol

RC Champion
    Looks fantastic Ed! Glad to see you back on the forum! =)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    I wonder...
    if something like Corrosion X or liquid tape would be the way to go for the BEC. It looks so at home where you have it. lol
    Will have to agree on it looking at home where it sits now, but the main problem is where the heat sink (gold color) and the front plastic part meet is a big crack that goes all the way down into the electronics of the thing. SO am not willing to take a chance just with liquid tap, and will feel better with it in a nice cozy box LOL.

Also forgot to tell everyone that if it where not for Jimmie N this build would have never happened. First off he is the builder of the 8 channel radio system that is in use, which consist of a heavily altered Transmitter and TWO receivers.
    He also helped with a lot of other problems I ran into and also found the Rotorstar that solved all the glitching problems due to running two Hitec 7980 steering servos.

Thanks a Load Jimmie for the radio build and all the other help.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    Looks fantastic Ed! Glad to see you back on the forum! =)
    Thanks Krall! feels good to be able to get back on here !

We just need this super hydrophobic stuff to come out faster...

http://www.neverwet.com/index.php

RC Qualifier
    Looks great for fabric and keeping water nice and neat on glass but how is going to mix with electromagnetic pulses, meaning electricity?

I once found quite few demonstrations of this stuff on electronics... now I can only seem to find this:

RC Qualifier
    Well now that you have found all this information on this stuff where can you get it and am willing to bet it is not cheap.
    But would sure make for a very clean build using that for water proofing.

I have yet to see a price... and from what I can tell they do not have a do-it-yourself kit yet. Once they do, I imagine the price will be high... for a while. Then the market will drive the price down eventually.

RC Qualifier
    I also just registered on their web page (neverwet.com) to be informed of when it will be available to the public, seems they already have over shot their mid 2012 release date.

RC Racer
    Very high impressive Summit !! Very good work on it ! Sorry , didn t saw it , why you have 2 receiver ? You got 2 transmitter !?
    Don t Go Fast if you are out of Control !!!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    thank s , i saw the thread , very impressive what you did Jimmie !!!! I did not finish to take a look at it , but i keep reading !!
    Don t Go Fast if you are out of Control !!!!