RC Enthusiast

Trencher or Trencher X?

Well its time to upgrade my wheels and tires and after some research it seems like the Axial beadlocks are
    the way to go. I still have a few questions though, i know the normal trencher will fit on the axial beadlocks
    because they use a 40 series bead. Now the trencher X use the "traxxas style" bead, has anyone been able
    to get the Trencher X's to fit on the Axial oversize beadlocks? Plus which tire is better?

RC poster
    I had the same dilema. I wanted the beadlock style of wheels but I also wanted the Trencher X style of tires. I was told that you could not use the two styles together. I recluctantly bought the Trencher X's on deperado wheels(standard setup) because I didn't want to have the worry of glueing everytime I needed to change out my Trencher X's..but I have committed now so I will stick with glueing. I like the Trencher X's look so I sided with the style of tire not how they get mounted.

RC Champion
    I purchased these X's pre assembled on a set of proline beadlocks. They seem to fit well. Although I feel the X look much better, I miss the true 7 inch ground clearance when climbing over rocks and taller stuff.

MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

Quote Originally Posted by Matco View Post
    Well its time to upgrade my wheels and tires and after some research it seems like the Axial beadlocks are the way to go. I still have a few questions though, i know the normal trencher will fit on the axial beadlocks because they use a 40 series bead. Now the trencher X use the "traxxas style" bead, has anyone been able to get the Trencher X's to fit on the Axial oversize beadlocks? Plus which tire is better?
    I don't think anybody has gotten the Trencher X's to fit on the Axial beadlocks. Add to that the fact that Axial beadlocks are known to rub on some arms, and you have a lose/lose situation.
    IMO, original Trenchers fit better on the narrow Axial beadlocks. Unfortunately, these have all been discontinued.
    So long as your Summit is not a speed truck, either the premounted Trencher or Trencher X will do well for you.

@noir 522's point: A friend can get over railroad track rails with the Trenchers but not with the Trencher X's. There's not a great difference in height, but it matters sometimes. I'll take the taller, narrower tire/wheel combo for my driving.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for all the info guys i think i will go with the normal trenchers

RC Qualifier
    You can still find the narrow 40 series Trencher on eBay (pn: 1160-00)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Line-Tre...item4846cebbe3

I was saying that the Axial Narrows are discontinued, not original Trenchers.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    You're right ksb - sorry, I misinterpreted what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    I was saying that the Axial Narrows are discontinued, not original Trenchers.

Well,I went tread to tread with some trencher x this weekend
    There are 4 vids but here is part one.
    Sorry about the editing my computer needs to be retired after 12 to 15 years
    It is just to weak to keep up..lol
    Gotta change the song.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nQvd...e_gdata_player
    His are brand new first dirt and rocks they touched.they are still pretty stiff.

Sent using lipo power
    Last edited by jamann; 09-04-2012 at 06:08 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    " a little hot" awesome! Anyway. My sons running x's on his and they are grippy fo sho but that wide tire sure scrubs alot on the tight turns!

We will see once his are broken in.
    I like the narrow myself turn better,lighter and less scrub when turning

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried