Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Not much to add...I am still waiting for my single servo and accessories to arrive; frustrating at times waiting for shipping to Australia.

Is anyone on the here running this servo Savox SA-1230SG without an external BEC. It says it max. rated for 6V...just wondering how it would do running off the EVX2?
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation Savox SA-1230SG Servo

I assume from the lack of response from my previous post that no one on here is using this servo or knows anything about it.

This is a continuation from post #39. The mail man was kind to me today...I received this in the mail; my Savox servo.

My first impression, its a very constructed servo and I will compare this to my Hitec HS-7950TH (in my eRevo with external BEC) performance and give my feedback. I plan on running this servo without an external BEC initially and am hoping that I wont need to install one for this build.

I am looking forward to testing this beast out and putting it through its paces; as at 6.0V it has 500oz-in of torque .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Nice concise informative thread. Good to see a thread not cluttered by unrelated comments.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Mugs View Post
    Nice concise informative thread. Good to see a thread not cluttered by unrelated comments.
    Thanks mate...I appreciate it .
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation DeWalt motor break-in

I may need some help here guys...for those running the DeWalt motor; what are the recommendations for breaking in the motor and how long is the break-in period.

I have know idea as brushed motors are something new to me...any advice would be greatly appreciated .
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 10-04-2012 at 10:28 PM. Reason: I can't spell
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    I did the water break in with 3 "C" cells taped together and hooked to my motor. Others have done the same using the throttle trim through the ESC. I am quite happy with the performance. The Dewalt still seemed to "wake up" somewhat after 2 or three more packs through it.
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry Kid View Post
    I did the water break in with 3 "C" cells taped together and hooked to my motor. Others have done the same using the throttle trim through the ESC. I am quite happy with the performance. The Dewalt still seemed to "wake up" somewhat after 2 or three more packs through it.

Thanks mate...I checked it out on you tube...I'm thinking I might just take it easy for the first couple runs; thanks for the info thou .
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation Cover plate for a single servo setup

I used the traxxas cover plate (#5326X) and modded it to fit my chassis in the empty servo spot.

I used my dremel to remove material and smooth off. I also slotted the one screw hole longer. It was a relatively easy job and went smoothly.

It was a nice fit...as if a servo was fitted in the spot.

And here it is fastened into position. The cover plate cost me $3, I was going to make one but then came across this.

Its slowly coming together now...
    Rock n Rolla !

The mail man was kind to me today...just before I left work I received a package in the post. I received my Trencher tyres, OFNA servo horn and ST Racing single servo arm. Still waiting on my aluminium servo saver to arrive.

I should of done my homework better; I was going to use the Trenchers with the Maximizer beadlock rims I bought but of course they don't fit. The internal diameter of the tyre is greater than the rim.

I didn't want per-mounted wheels as I was wanting an offset rim. Any thoughts on these rims the Axial AX8042 Beadlock. I am thinking of mounting the Trenchers on these...I will tape the inside as I plan on running these on my eRevo too .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    I'm currently running those Trenchers on the Proline Tech5 wheels (0 offset). You can also mount them on the Proline Desperado wheels(1/2 inch offset). The Axial rim might be a litle wide and some folks are posting mixed comments about the Axial Oversized Beadlocks. Some are experiencing rub on the front A-arms. I do not know why some do and some don't. A resourceful person as yourself can narrow them.
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

I'm currently running those Trenchers on the Proline Tech5 wheels (0 offset). You can also mount them on the Proline Desperado wheels(1/2 inch offset). The Axial rim might be a litle wide and some folks are posting mixed comments about the Axial Oversized Beadlocks. Some are experiencing rub on the front A-arms. I do not know why some do and some don't. A resourceful person as yourself can narrow them.
    Those seem to be Trencher X tires. Your Tech5-shod Trenchers should be the original kind. The beads are different. I've seen the original Trenchers mounted on Axial beadlocks, both narrow and oversize, but not the X's...yet. As you posted, the X's are a direct fit to the -offset Desperado wheels.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Those seem to be Trencher X tires. Your Tech5-shod Trenchers should be the original kind. The beads are different. I've seen the original Trenchers mounted on Axial beadlocks, both narrow and oversize, but not the X's...yet. As you posted, the X's are a direct fit to the -offset Desperado wheels.
    I bought myself the Trenchers: Outer Diameter: 6.89" (175mm), Width: 3.43" (87mm) & Inner Diameter: 3.5" (89mm).

KSB I can't seem to find the narrow Axial narrow beadlocks, just the oversize....
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation 70K shock oil

I was tinkering around on my truck last night...trying to figure out this EVX2 problem I have been having of when I turn the transmitter off, the truck starts to accelerate and noticed my rear shock were leaking.

I stripped all four shocks down and replaced the stock shock oil with a 70K shock oil. I have set my preload all round to 4mm. I really like the way the suspension is now with the thicker shock oil .

I am looking forward to testing this beast out once up and running .
    Rock n Rolla !

Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
    I was tinkering around on my truck last night...trying to figure out this EVX2 problem I have been having of when I turn the transmitter off, the truck starts to accelerate.
    I want to keep this info in my thread...this was the problem.

I tried the 70/30 setting on the Tx; that's where the issue came in once the Tx was switched off my truck would run away. Reset the Tx and changed it back to 50/50 and its working 100%. For some reason it did not like the 70/30 setting even thou the end points had been recalibrated numerous times.
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 10-15-2012 at 01:52 AM. Reason: I can't spell
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation Single servo installation

This is a continuation of post #42.

I have the servo installed and have a few items I am going to try...first off I bought the Hot Racing servo saver with dual servo arm and Ofna servo horn. I plan on using the ST Racing single servo arm with the Hot Racing servo saver.

Upon installation I had to use the stock servo saver with the ST Racing single servo arm; as the Hot Racing and ST Racing servo arms have a different profile cut and had to much play when fitted together for my liking.

I will probably end up using a hack saw to saw off the one arm of the Hot Racing dual servo arm to make it a single.

I then installed the Ofna servo horn and attached the link. I am rather impressed with the servo just on the preliminary test that I have done.

I look forward to giving this a good run.

I set up the servo horn and steering link as per the manual.

I am using the maximum travel steering stop and using the outer hole on the servo horn.

I will do the fine tuning of my steering when my beast is up and running .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    I have the HR servo saver myself with a single servo. It's darn stiff don't you think? Like almost to the point of not having a servo saver anymore. (Maybe that's just mine.)

I haven't cut the unused arm off yet because with my luck as soon as I do I'll want it back for some odd reason...so it's just there along for the ride.

Keep up the good work man. I hope the people who are curious about what upgrades to do pay attention to this build as there are a lot of good tips to be found here.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Champion
    Did you mount your TRX servo cover plate... upside down? It's supposed to say TRX on the TOP side!

That SAVOX servo - I was going to order one off eBay just two days ago, but didn't. Looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by happymachinist View Post
    I have the HR servo saver myself with a single servo. It's darn stiff don't you think? Like almost to the point of not having a servo saver anymore. (Maybe that's just mine.)

Yeah mate...when I took it apart to fit the ST Racing servo arm I battled to put it back together...and I THOUGHT the heavy duty servo spring was stiff!!

I haven't cut the unused arm off yet because with my luck as soon as I do I'll want it back for some odd reason...so it's just there along for the ride.
    I may do some research to see if HR sell a single servo arm before I cut the one arm off the dual servo arm.

Keep up the good work man. I hope the people who are curious about what upgrades to do pay attention to this build as there are a lot of good tips to be found here.
    Man I really appreciate that...THANK YOU!.

I have been following your build and a few others quite closely too; awesome work mate .
    Rock n Rolla !

Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    Did you mount your TRX servo cover plate... upside down? It's supposed to say TRX on the TOP side!
    Yeah mate...I mounted it upside down. I wanted the TRX facing the bottom; it looked neater to be installed from inside the chasis (I suppose its just a cosmetic thing). They are not a direct fit so there is slight modding involved.

Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    That SAVOX servo - I was going to order one off eBay just two days ago, but didn't. Looks great!
    Servo is working out great...I'm really happy I bought it. I am only running my servos of the Rx so I feel no BEC necessary. I used a Hitech HS7950TH on my eRevo with an external BEC ...Post #55 - 65 of my build thread if you would like to have a look.
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation Pro-Line 2008 Ford F-250 Crew Cab Body

This is my edition of the Summit...I wanted a UTE style T-Lock truck as it is primarily going to be used in the forest behind the house...nothing fancy but it gives me a break from my eRevo and allows me to do something completely different.

This is the Pro-Line 2008 Ford F-250 Crew Cab Body that I am using...I am also using the eRevo body posts on this build.

I've had most of these parts for the Summit for months...Its just that I've always been wrenching my eRevo so much that I never got around to this build until now .

Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Outstanding build with quality information.
    On a side note I am running a Savox servo in my Pede 4 x 4 but not that model. Not a min. of trouble out of it and does its job great. Thought about using one in my Summit but they do not have one comparable to the model Hitec's(7980th) that are in my truck.
    Get this summit all built and your revo is liable to be collecting dust

Quote Originally Posted by Edstoys View Post
    Outstanding build with quality information.
    On a side note I am running a Savox servo in my Pede 4 x 4 but not that model. Not a min. of trouble out of it and does its job great. Thought about using one in my Summit but they do not have one comparable to the model Hitec's(7980th) that are in my truck.
    Get this summit all built and your revo is liable to be collecting dust

Thanks mate...I appreciate it .

A question on the Summit...I took the Summit out for a test drive, crawling over Forest floor. I only have Big Joes on hand at the moment; waiting for some rims to arrive for my Trenchers.

The Savox Servo got so hot I couldn't touch it...and the DeWalt was pretty hot too, not as hot as the Servo. Is this normal for a Summit?? I did about 45min of crawling and high gear runs on the grass.

Could the Joes be to heavy for crawling?? I do plan on getting rid of them once the Trencher rims arrive.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Is the servo bottoming out on the stop and stalling the servo befor it reaches its EP? Maybe the last hole is a bit too long on your aftermarket horn? Just a thought.

I have a friend running a pair of smaller savox servos and they get quite warm but I assumed it was due to them fighting each other a little.

My futabas get quite warm too when pushing them hard on the rocks. I'm running a single in front and in back.

Is the servo bottoming out on the stop and stalling the servo befor it reaches its EP? Maybe the last hole is a bit too long on your aftermarket horn? Just a thought.

I have a friend running a pair of smaller savox servos and they get quite warm but I assumed it was due to them fighting each other a little.

My futabas get quite warm too when pushing them hard on the rocks. I'm running a single in front and in back.
    Thanks for the reply mate...Servo not bottoming out on the steering stop; first thing i checked; I did notice that the aluminium servo arm was eating into the chassis ever so slight but has shaved away enough material to move freely.

It may be the Big Joes...I was pushing it hard on the forest floor and small dry creeks. I did notice the Joes getting stuck a lot on the broken branches and few rocks that there are.

It was only when the servo glitched a bit that I felt the servo and couldn't believe how hot it was, guessing the heat to be around 75C. First time I have ever felt a servo get that hot; I let it cool down and the servo was fine.

I was just curious to know if that's normal for temps to reach that high while crawling? I honestly don't believe there is anything wrong with the servo.

I am borrowing a set of Trenchers from my mate and give them a go until my rims arrive, will see if this makes a difference .
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 10-18-2012 at 06:50 PM.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    /\ /\ yeah I figured you checked but just wanted to throw it out there

I know I've never pushed a servo as hard as I do with my summit while crawling. I'm also running the highest amp drawing servo I ever have too....not gonna lie I was quite concerned when I felt mine for the first time as well.

But my summit is heavier, has bigger tires, and no wind passing by the servo cases to dissipate heat (because I'm usually crawling.) Technically speaking it makes sense.

Keep us posted on that servo. I'm looking for a replacement steering servo on Summit #2.

My Hitec 7954 got amazingly hot when I had the endpoints set too wide. The servo was actually torquing the whole front end and this extra work was causing the extreme heat. This heat seemed to be causing not only glitching of the servo but also of the EVX-2.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-18-2012 at 09:40 PM.

/\ /\ yeah I figured you checked but just wanted to throw it out there

I know I've never pushed a servo as hard as I do with my summit while crawling. I'm also running the highest amp drawing servo I ever have too....not gonna lie I was quite concerned when I felt mine for the first time as well.

But my summit is heavier, has bigger tires, and no wind passing by the servo cases to dissipate heat (because I'm usually crawling.) Technically speaking it makes sense.

Keep us posted on that servo. I'm looking for a replacement steering servo on Summit #2.
    Took the Summit out for a bit of crawl after work...I put my HPI GT2's from my eRevo; no good for crawling, wheels just slip and are not tall enough. It was good fun today. My son and I (he is only 2) went for a walk along the foot path through the forest today. Summit did well, servo didn't get as hot as yesterday and no glitching today.

I'm also running 17/68 gearing as it was the smallest pinion I had on hand...may look at getting a smaller one in the future. I fetched the Trenchers from my mate...will give the a try tomorrow .
    Rock n Rolla !

My Hitec 7954 got amazingly hot when I had the endpoints set too wide. The servo was actually torquing the whole front end and this extra work was causing the extreme heat. This heat seemed to be causing not only glitching of the servo but also of the EVX-2.

I had a look at the Joes on the truck this arvo and noticed when steering was turned to the maximum the Joes were rubbing on the A-Arm . Yesterday the extreme heat seemed to also make my ESC glitch; once servo cooled down everything was OK again.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Those Axle bead locks will rub on the A-arms. Know that from my own experience. There is somewhere on the board about cutting them down, sense the narrows are out of production. Either or need to change rims, due to the rubbing on the A-arms or get some kind of wheel extension. But feel that will put more strain on the axle, IMO. tho. Know have seen others on the board running big Joe's and did not hear about trouble from them, myself feel part of you overheating problem is the rims rubbing on the A-arms.

Those Axle bead locks will rub on the A-arms. Know that from my own experience. There is somewhere on the board about cutting them down, sense the narrows are out of production. Either or need to change rims, due to the rubbing on the A-arms or get some kind of wheel extension. But feel that will put more strain on the axle, IMO. tho. Know have seen others on the board running big Joe's and did not hear about trouble from them, myself feel part of you overheating problem is the rims rubbing on the A-arms.
    Thanks for the info mate...I'll wait for them to arrive and look at what is involved at cutting them down. Going out for a walk with the kids and give my mates Trenchers a try
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation Body painted Ford F-250

This is a continuation from [post5312186]post #60[/post].

I finally trimmed my body and painted...I haven't done many spray jobs and trimming of bodies before but seem to be getting better and more creative as I go along.

I am really happy with the end result; it came out a lot better than I expected.
    Rock n Rolla !

Looks really good to me
    Nice job on this build

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Nice paint job; that is the one thing left I need to be able to do better than just a solid color. Nice job on the tool box and bed.

Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    Looks really good to me
    Nice job on this build
    Nice paint job; that is the one thing left I need to be able to do better than just a solid color. Nice job on the tool box and bed.
    Thanks guys...
    Rock n Rolla !

I need some insight from the more experienced DeWalt 14.4V motor users.

Does running the double wires from the ESC give better performance to the DeWalt 14.4V motor. Right now I am running a single red and black to the motor. Would I see a noticeable increase in power to the motor??

I'm using the wires I got with the motor from Kershaw Designs, but will replace with EC5 connector. I am going to solder both red and black wires from ESC to one connector and a single 10G wire to each brush.

For those running the DeWalt 14.4V motor...are any of you using heat sinks with your motor? It was 35C here today and had the Summit out for 1 set of batteries and felt my motor was a tad bit hot.
    Rock n Rolla !

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...08#post5313408see concerns re. warranty here.

Are you running 17/68 gearing? That might be a reason for the heat. Mine gets pretty darn warm too.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...08#post5313408see concerns re. warranty here.

Are you running 17/68 gearing? That might be a reason for the heat. Mine gets pretty darn warm too.
    Thanks mate...
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation Body painted Ford F-250

This is continued from post #71.

Some more Pics of my truck...all I had were the Big Joes on hand when I took these pics.

Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Looking good

What body mount modifications did you make to fit the F250?
    Last edited by maxi single; 10-20-2012 at 06:00 PM.

RC Champion
    From what I remember, I saw that the Big Joes (I have'm too) were in fact LIGHTER than the stock wheels, so I don't think weight is an issue.

Scary with the heat you were talking about, but glad you got it figured out. The truck has come along so nicely, totally unique now! Awesome.