Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Exclamation Integy 6mm offset hex adapters

This is a continuation from post #12.

I have recently decided to change my 17mm HPP hex adapters for the Integy 6mm offset hex adapter as I want the HPP adapters for another build.

I ended up getting these ones for my Summit...here is a comparison of the HPP vs Integy adapter.

I was excited when I received them in the post as I waited long enough for them to arrive .

Needless to say upon closer inspection I was disappointed that their was no stub axle pins supplied...I had some on hand but they were to short.

The ones I had were just under 12mm long as seen above, they were just too short by 1mm or so. I made my own instead...I took 4 x 2.5mm hardened steel drill bits and cut the shank to size and chamferred the ends.

I cut them all to 13mm in length.

The end result, a nice fit...I probably should of cut to 13.5mm in length. We will see how we go and how it holds up...In theory it should be OK.

Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation Hex adapter spacers

I had a go at making some spacers to fill the gap between the axle carrier (knuckle) and Integy hex adapter to try and prevent wheel slop.

This is what I came up with:

I took 4 x stainless steel 6mm washers and ground them down first on the grinder and then smoothed off on the belt sander.

As seen above the thickness of the washer is 1.6mm thick before and after I had done my mod the thickness is now 0.9mm.

Here is a comparison of the 2 washers.

Its a nice fit and still has a bit of tolerance once fully assembled.

Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation Single servo installation revisited

This is a continuation from post #55

I revisited the single servo installation and decided to install the Hot Racing servo saver that I originally bought for this truck. I also wanted to use the stock servo saver and heavy duty spring on another truck of mine.

I am not a fan of having a dual servo arm for a single servo installation. This is what I ended up doing.

Before the mod.

I wrapped in a cloth a gently squeezed in a vice so not to damage the dual steering arm...I then proceeded to hacksaw the one arm off...the HR servo saver only comes with a dual steering arm and I could not find a single that fitted the HR servo saver.

I then smoothed and rounded off on a belt sander.

I then reassembled and ready for installation.

Here is a comparison of the one I replaced with the new HR servo saver.

Here we go all installed and ready to bash .

Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Nice job man, what servo is that?
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

Quote Originally Posted by TQi View Post
    Nice job man, what servo is that?
    This is the Savox 1230-SG servo

Speed(@4.8V sec/60): .20
    Torque(@4.8V oz-in): 417.0
    Speed(@6.0V sec/60): .16
    Torque(@6.0V oz-in): 500
    25 Tooth Spline

I'm running this straight off my EVX2...I do not have an external BEC installed
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Nice work on the servo saver. I've been meaning to do that myself.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Qualifier
    That is going on me wishlist thanks
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

Quote Originally Posted by happymachinist View Post
    Nice work on the servo saver. I've been meaning to do that myself.
    Thanks, I had put it off for some time but when installing the Integy adapters, I thought to myself, what better time than now .

Quote Originally Posted by TQi View Post
    That is going on me wishlist thanks
    Cheers mate .
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation My Summit park bashing vid

This is purely a bashing video...I wanted to test out the offset from the Integy aadapters; I'm loving them. The adapters have made a noticeable difference to my truck and I like the offset my truck has now.

I decided to run 15/68 gearing...mu Summit is noticeably slower...I think I may change back to the 17 at some stage .

Rock n Rolla !

Just giving some feedback on the 17mm Integy hex adapter with 6mm offset...This is a continuation from post #121.

These hex adapters have increased the overall width of my wheel base by 12mm...Its unbelievable the difference its made to the handling of my truck. The Trenchers are staying planted to the ground...my truck is so much fun to bash right now; its fairly stable while cornering and sliding the rear out.

I have done a bit of crawling too...the Summit seems to be handling well. I am really liking these 17mm Integy hex adapters.
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 12-18-2012 at 10:41 AM.
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation Bearing maintenance!

I am a firm believer in bearing maintenance...I re grease my bearings to increase the life span of the bearing and for smoother operation including the wheel bearings.

This is the grease that I use...(it must be good stuff, it's endorsed by NASCAR )

This is the lubricant I use to clean my bearings before re greasing (RP 7)...I also use this on my rod ends where the balls are to keep free moving...once lubricated I blow compressed air to remove the excess lube.

The bearings pictured below are from my eRevo. These are the rear wheel bearings that were greased by me about 2 months back as I have been running my truck in a lot of loose dirt and were seizing up from this. As you can see the dirt collected on the outside of the bearing...I find that they don't collect as much dirt as some people say they do; it also might be the grease that I am using.

These bearings were still turning smoothly and did not feel gritty at all despite the dirt collecting on the outside of the bearing. They probably did not need to be re greased but since I had them out I cleaned and re greased anyway .

Here is a pic of the front wheel bearings with the seals popped off. I have been using the eRevo a fair bit in muddy and wet conditions. These bearings hadn't been re greased before; as you can see their was evidence of rust and were feeling slightly seized.

I repacked all my wheel bearings with grease before popping the seals back on, cleaning and reassembling.

I even re greased the bell crank bearings as they too were feeling a bit rough.

Last edited by craig.mitch316; 12-20-2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: 6760
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Just a quick question how did you go about popping the blue seals of without damaging them.
    BTW i have also PM'ed you about dyeing.
    If the summit can go through; its not deep enough

Removing bearings rubber seals

Quote Originally Posted by danielhawkins View Post
    Just a quick question how did you go about popping the blue seals of without damaging them.
    I have used a pit knife here to remove my seals...but any thin blade will do. I find it easier to pop the seals off from the internal diameter (inner race).

I then gently proceed to push the knifes handle towards the ground...the blade slides under the seal with ease...gentle pressure.

This easily enabling the seal to pop off.

I then pack with grease as seen below.

Pop the seal back on (I use my thumb nail to push the seal on and squeeze excess grease from the bearing)...Clean the bearing and you good to go.

Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Thanks that will be realy handy.

Exclamation Rit dyeing contiued

BTW i have also PM'ed you about dyeing.

Quote Originally Posted by danielhawkins
    I am going to dye my rockers and chassis black. I am just wondering if you followed packet directions or not? How long did you leave it in for? Did you mix the dye as per packet methods or did you use your own recipe?
    Cheers
    Dan
    My method of Rit Dyeing
    This is copied from my eRevo build thread...post #38

This is a continuation of post #2...To rit dye I would add the whole packet of dye, (I use the powder rit dye), in as much water as I need and mix the powder until all dissolved in the water. I would add my parts along with 500ml of vinegar and leave over the stove top with low heat. I would keep it at a low heat for a minimum of 2hrs.

I never let the water boil once...when I saw a few bubbles appear I would lower the heat or turn off.

This is my dye bath I use...I got it down at the local hardware store for $12. They call it a galvanised bucket here in Australia.

Last edited by craig.mitch316; 12-21-2012 at 06:55 AM.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    That is the description i wanted thanks very much.
    Hopefully it will turn out good. (yours did)
    Did you turn all the hotplates on or just one?

That is the description i wanted thanks very much.
    Hopefully it will turn out good. (yours did)
    Did you turn all the hotplates on or just one?
    I used 2....my stove top is electric...I straddle the base across 2 plates; both of which were set at #2 on the dial. When the water was hot and steaming I turned down to #1 and let simmer.

When dyeing, your parts must be fully submerged under the water and occasionally stir the water around. If the dye colour on your parts are not dark enough leave for longer until you are happy with it.

Good luck with it mate .
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 12-21-2012 at 07:51 AM. Reason: I can't spell
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    I got some Rit dye today...
    Warwick bunnings didn't have a big enough gal bucket so i am gonna fill the sink with hot water.
    Might cool down a bit after 2 hours but i will see how it goes...

Exclamation Summit rock climb bash session

This is just my Summit doing battle with a rock...I felt like making a video too. Enjoy guys

Last edited by craig.mitch316; 12-29-2012 at 02:50 AM. Reason: 7156
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation DeWalt 14.4V motor can surface rust

This was driving me crazy...surface rust on the motor can. It was only on the top side; the underside was still perfect and shiny.

I did the same as Mayberry Kid and sprayed my motor can...I sanded and sprayed with a high temp paint we had in the workshop. We'll see how this goes and if any good...the colour is wild fire red.

I probably could of been a bit neater with my spraying but this will suffice.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Looks awesome... did you like make tape plugs and tape off both ends like mayberry did.
    Last edited by danielhawkins; 01-02-2013 at 02:20 AM.

Looks awesome... did you like make tape plugs and tape off both ends like mayberry did.
    Thanks mate...I cut up a scour brush and plugged the holes and for each end of the can just wrapped in masking tape .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    Craig what do you think of the Savox 1230sg servo now that you have had it for a while? Would you purchase it again or would you purchase a hitec 7955?
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    Craig what do you think of the Savox 1230sg servo now that you have had it for a while? Would you purchase it again or would you purchase a hitec 7955?
    G'day mate...to be honest I am not sure what has happened to my servo; it's started glitching a couple weeks ago when I turn right. It maybe because of user error, I will post a short video of the servo in action. I have tried the Servo in my eSlayer and its doing the same thing.

To answer your question...the servo has been good under operation and has performed well, I ordered a replacement Savox SA 1230-SG. If this happens again I will get a Hitec.

I use a Savox SA 1231-SG in my eSlayer and for my Slavo GT that I am building. The one in my eSlayer has performed flawlessly and is running of the Howwing SC8 Xerun 120A combo.
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 01-18-2013 at 05:34 AM.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Competitor
    Hi Craig. Thanks for the fantastic thread. I recently converted to 1 servo and went with a Savox 1230. I installed it and I'm happy with it so far.

I tried to read every comment but I didn't see anywhere 1. what setup you prefer regarding your after market servo saver vs stock saver and also 2. what your final thoughts on using the servo saver washer mod are. If I might bother you with just one more question, 3. After my first run with my Savox, the screw holding the link to the horn came out! Have you had any issues with this?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
    This is purely a bashing video...I wanted to test out the offset from the Integy aadapters; I'm loving them. The adapters have made a noticeable difference to my truck and I like the offset my truck has now.

I decided to run 15/68 gearing...mu Summit is noticeably slower...I think I may change back to the 17 at some stage .

Hey mate im in brisbane to, where abouts was this video done? Im getting a summit next week, looks like a great place to run it and my rustler. Kinda lacking anywhere to run where i live except a netball court and a grass field. Pretty boring and hard on tires.

Quote Originally Posted by humboldtsmoke View Post
    Hi Craig. Thanks for the fantastic thread. I recently converted to 1 servo and went with a Savox 1230. I installed it and I'm happy with it so far.

I tried to read every comment but I didn't see anywhere
    No worries mate...thanks for taking the time in reading through my thread.

1. what setup you prefer regarding your after market servo saver vs stock saver and also 2. what your final thoughts on using the servo saver washer mod are.
    I prefer the aftermarket servo saver I am using...I used stock in my Summit and eRevo but found the stock flexed to much in my Summit and the spring collapsed in my eRevo.

With the Summit I am using the Hot Racing servo saver #RVO4806 and STRC servo saver #ST5344S with heavy duty spring and washer mod in my eRevo.

I prefer the Hot Racing servo saver out of the 2 and it it comes with a super strong heavy duty spring and no washer mod necessary...unfortunately it only comes with a dual servo arm but their is nothing to it trimming one side.

3. After my first run with my Savox, the screw holding the link to the horn came out! Have you had any issues with this?
    No mate, never had any issues...I use a drop of blue loctite on the end of the thread to hold the screw in place...I am not sure if you tried this?? Mine has never come loose on any of my trucks with all 3 having the single servo mod done to them.

EDIT: You are talking about the steering linkage and not the servo horn??
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 01-22-2013 at 07:01 AM.
    Rock n Rolla !

Quote Originally Posted by fred88 View Post
    Hey mate im in brisbane to, where abouts was this video done? Im getting a summit next week, looks like a great place to run it and my rustler. Kinda lacking anywhere to run where i live except a netball court and a grass field. Pretty boring and hard on tires.
    G'day mate...this park is in South West Brisbane in Carol Park...if you coming down Johnston RD towards Springfield lakes...turn left off Johnston RD at the T-Junction and the track is on the right...you can't miss it.

Unfortunately the track is a bit stuffed at the moment...kids come in there and ride their quad and dirt bikes on the track...at the rate its going it will need to be rebuilt in a couple months...their is also a drag strip there too. I am building myself a SlayVo Gt (another eRevo platform build) to race there.

All 4 of my trucks are eRevo platform based ...keeping the majority of my spares the same.
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 01-22-2013 at 06:57 AM. Reason: 8517
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post

I never had a problem with the screw coming out. I had a problem with the thin plastic ring around the screw breaking open. I put a washer under the screw to grip the plastic nub better till the new one came in.
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless

RC Competitor
    thanks a lot. I just ordered the servo saver kit for the summit. I already have an aluminum single arm but if it doesnt go well with the kit I'll hack off the extra arm

I think I just need a dab of locktite on that bugger!

Quote Originally Posted by satyrisci View Post
    I never had a problem with the screw coming out. I had a problem with the thin plastic ring around the screw breaking open. I put a washer under the screw to grip the plastic nub better till the new one came in.
    I have just had that particular screw hole strip in my eSlayer...I cannot fasten it and now the rear body mount is loose and flexing...I'll be doing this mod to it tonight.
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 01-22-2013 at 11:00 PM.
    Rock n Rolla !

thanks a lot. I just ordered the servo saver kit for the summit. I already have an aluminum single arm but if it doesnt go well with the kit I'll hack off the extra arm

I think I just need a dab of locktite on that bugger!
    If you have ordered the Hot Racing servo saver and using the STRC single servo arm it will not fit. The STRC arm will move around in the servo saver. If you have ordered the STRC servo saver then the single servo arm will be a direct replacement...you may also want to look at the washer mod with the heavy duty spring if getting the STRC servo saver.

Loctite will sort you out mate .
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 01-22-2013 at 11:02 PM.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Competitor
    thanks for the tip! I did get the the Hot Racing version so I won't waste my time trying to make the fit I liked how you said it doesnt need the washer mod.

I had the Summit out for a bash session this weekend...its been a good couple months overdue. I am running 17/68 gearing again...I'm loving it.

Here's just a few pics to share...it was awesome getting my beast dirty again...lots of fun.

=====
    =====

=====
    =====
    Last edited by MITCH316; 02-25-2013 at 12:05 AM. Reason: 9570
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    Must be nice to have it out again! Love the build.

How's that motor paint holding up?

RC Champion
    Nice love the tire and rim combo. They look taller than stock? Im just starting to research tire and rim swap

Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    Must be nice to have it out again! Love the build.

How's that motor paint holding up?
    Cheers mate...Was awesome having the Summit out again, I forgot how much fun it is. The paint is holding up good; at least no more surface rust is evident.

Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    Nice love the tire and rim combo. They look taller than stock? Im just starting to research tire and rim swap
    Thanks mate...I'm loving these Trenchers.
    Rock n Rolla !

These are the shims I am using now to shim my diffs and anywhere else on my rigs that need shims...these are from 3 racing; what''s nice about these shims are that they come in 3 different thicknesses (0.1, 0.2 & 0.3).

6mm Shim Spacer 0.1/0.2/0.3mm Thickness 10pcs Each - 3Racing 3RAC-SW06
    =====

=====
    =====
    8mm Shim Spacer 0.1/0.2/0.3mm Thickness 10pcs Each - 3Racing 3RAC-SW08
    =====

=====
    =====
    10mm Shim Spacer 0.1/0.2/0.3mm Thickness 10pcs Each - 3Racing 3RAC-SW10
    =====

=====
    =====
    12mm Shim Spacer 0.1/0.2/0.3m Thickness 10pcs Each - 3Racing 3RAC-SW12
    =====
    Rock n Rolla !

I have been a bit quiet on the Summit front...Here it is, my new rig I have added to my Fleet that I wanted to share. The pic doesn't do the paintwork any justice.

This is my new Rally PF8-GT build...you can find my build thread <<HERE>>.

I have been having so much fun with my Rally...it awesome. The power Plant is MM2 2200kv combo running a single 4s with MOD 1 19/38 gearing. Its plenty fast and power sliding (drifting) well.
    =====

=====
    =====

=====
    =====

=====
    =====

=====
    =====

=====
    =====
    This is probably my best spray and decal job I have done so far...Enjoy!
    Rock n Rolla !

jonesdallas
    Nice job! Shes real pretty. Ive been checking out this thread a few times in the last week. Good to see your still around. Mind if I ask what your using right now for a steering servo in the summit? I ordered a SA-1230. I know you had a problem with one, but had success with another in a slayer I believe. Howd your summit like the Savox`s?