Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by maxi single View Post
    Looking good

What body mount modifications did you make to fit the F250?
    Cheers mate...I used the eRevo body mounts; that's how I got the body lower to the chassis. I have modified the Summits body posts to suit too, they will be kept as spares .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Looks good, I love the look of the big joes, I'm gonna have to do some research as to what offset rims they can be put on so they don't rub the a-arms. I'd like to have a set of joes for more general purpose uses like trails and when it snows. Then I can keep my weighted canyons for climbing.

Removing the 48 screws to take off the weights would be no fun and time consuming. The threads in the wheels probably wouldn't hold up long either.

That body turned out pretty sweet. Nice and low, wheel wells line up nice and scale like...even if it does have that blue oval on the front

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    The truck has come along so nicely, totally unique now! Awesome.
    Thanks mate....
    Rock n Rolla !

Quote Originally Posted by happymachinist View Post
    Looks good, I love the look of the big joes, I'm gonna have to do some research as to what offset rims they can be put on so they don't rub the a-arms. I'd like to have a set of joes for more general purpose uses like trails and when it snows. Then I can keep my weighted canyons for climbing.

Removing the 48 screws to take off the weights would be no fun and time consuming. The threads in the wheels probably wouldn't hold up long either.

That body turned out pretty sweet. Nice and low, wheel wells line up nice and scale like...even if it does have that blue oval on the front
    Thanks...I was thinking of removing the HPP Hex Adapters and replacing with a 6mm or 12mm Integy offset adapter. I think I would prefer the offset on this truck. I ordered Axial oversize beadlock rims for my Trenchers...I will have to see what the narrow tyre will look like on those rims, hopefully OK considering the price I paid for the rims.

Removing 48 screw is not fun.

I do like the Joes...they do alright where I am using my truck .
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation My Ford F-250 body decal

This is a continuation of post #78

I did take some pics of my truck with decals on before first use...its not looking so clean and shiny anymore. This is what I managed to come up with. I am really happy with this body and the effort I put in...It turned out great with the colour scheme and decal on.

As you can see I am using RPM bumpers and bumper mounts on this build. I do like the look its given my truck .

And here is a few shots with my eRevo .

Last edited by craig.mitch316; 10-23-2012 at 05:07 PM. Reason: I can't spell
    Rock n Rolla !

Looks like I will be doing some soldering tonight ; not a strong point of mine.

I will be using EC5 connectors for my DeWalt and ESC.
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 10-23-2012 at 10:20 PM.
    Rock n Rolla !

Interesting EC5 connectors. Mine (for my PL6 charger) have a different male pin.

I do not like the typical banana-type bullets.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-23-2012 at 11:47 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Interesting EC5 connectors. Mine (for my PL6 charger) have a different male pin. I do not like the typical banana-type bullets.
    Thanks for the info mate...I'll use these for now see how they go...interesting that they sell 2 different male pins for the same connector. I never noticed the male pins when I was looking for the EC5 connector; I do prefer the one you showed.
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation EC5 Connectors for DeWalt motot

I was a bit lazy in the beginning once I had my truck set up. I didn't feel like soldering as it is not a strong point of mine and ended up using the prepped wires and connectors I bought from Kershaw Design with my motor. I ran about 3 2/2s battery sessions with the single back and red wire from the ESC like this but now have decided to do it properly.

This is what I ended up doing tonight. I had an old ESC that I had fried in the beginning of the year from going through a massive puddle of water; I took the 10G wire from it and soldered to the motor brushes.

I then soldered the banana bullet to each end and installed into the EC5 connector housing.

I then soldered the female bullet to the ESC wire.

It came out well and was a lot easier than I originally had anticipated.

Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    Nice job craig, I need to do the same as you, as I also took the easy route to start with.
    Tekin powered Summit

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy1971 View Post
    Nice job craig, I need to do the same as you, as I also took the easy route to start with.
    Thanks mate...I took the truck out for a test after I had done this. The power the motor was pushing out was noticeably different. My truck is actually popping wheelies now...I wish I had done this sooner. My motor is still running hot; I may end up replacing the 17 pinion with a 14 or 15 pinion.
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 10-24-2012 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Changed wording slightly
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation Pinion and spur gear mesh

I apologise in advance for the poor quality photos in some of my posts...I am using the camera on my phone.

I am going to show my method of setting gear mesh here for those who don't know, or would like to know how to mesh there pinion and spur gear since I had to do this again after soldering the wires to the motor brushes.

On this build I am using 17/68 gear setting but might change the pinion to a smaller size.

I start off by cutting a strip of paper slightly wider than my spur gear and roughly 20cm long.

I then fold in half...I like to use this thickness to set the spacing between my gear mesh.

I then feed between my spur and pinion and push together. (I never documented the following 2 photos so I am using from my eRevo build so you can see what I am explaining)

With even pressure I press the pinion and spur together and rotate the spur so the paper runs between the spur and pinion.

Once I am happy that the paper is running smoothly between the gears I fasten the motor into position and rotate the spur in the opposite direction to remove the paper.

I try and align my spur so it is sitting centre of the pinion gear.

I have been using this method for a long time without any issues
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    I did that once, and it was horrible. Must have had the wrong paper.

I just press the motor against the spur, and push the car forward/backward, and tighten the motor down. It's always the quietest and after opening it many times, there's never been any plastic dust/shavings so it SEEMS to work just fine.

I did that once, and it was horrible. Must have had the wrong paper.

I just press the motor against the spur, and push the car forward/backward, and tighten the motor down. It's always the quietest and after opening it many times, there's never been any plastic dust/shavings so it SEEMS to work just fine.
    I use to do that method in the beginning...since my eRevo was my first truck, I would either mesh to tight or a little to loose for my liking and end up stripping the spur gear as I only run 2/3s in my eRevo. I think its become more a force of habit over time doing it this way for myself.
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation Slipper clutch setting

I thought I would post this for those who are unfamiliar with their slipper clutch setting.

I have run into a few issues in the past with incorrect slipper clutch setting on my eRevo. I've had it when it's been too loose and melted my spur gear...and also not paying attention to worn pads has has also resulted in a melted spur gear.

The way I like to set my slipper clutch now...and I use this for all surface I run on is I tighten my slipper all the way, basically where it feels tight, but not too tight. I then set the tool in the vertical position as my setting out point.

I then back off just over a 1/4 turn or where the tool touches the chassis. I use my hex screw driver or the allen wrench I got with my eRevo to lock the transmission while tightening or loosening.

This is an ideal setting for me
    Rock n Rolla !

I broke a rear left shaft today trying to get some video footage of what I am doing with my truck...fortunately for me I had a Summit shaft from my eRevo I broke a while back on the opposite end and kept as a spare.

For those who don't know; its always good when shafts break to keep the opposite ends that aren't broken as spares for when needed to make a new shaft.

The one above is from the eRevo and the bottom from my Summit. As you can see I broke the short end on the eRevo and the long end on the Summit. I cut around the top of the boot and then built a new shaft from the good ends and CA glued the boot to the shaft to fix into position.

My glue job is not the best but will do...this saved me from using a brand new shaft as both ends were still in fairly good nick.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    I have a box full of old grungy parts that I can't seem to throw away for that same reason. Don't know when you might need something in a pinch.

RC Qualifier
    well did you break anything? i am thinking about taking mine to the skatepart tonight when the kids are asleep
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

I have a box full of old grungy parts that I can't seem to throw away for that same reason. Don't know when you might need something in a pinch.
    For sure mate...you learn that quickly with experience .

Quote Originally Posted by davyjones'_fleet View Post
    well did you break anything? i am thinking about taking mine to the skatepart tonight when the kids are asleep
    Only thing broken so far is the rear left shaft...I've bashed my Summit a few time in the skatepark...its OK; I prefer crawling and tearing up the dirt with my Summit.

I use my eRevo for my big air and monstrous bashing; here is a link to my eRevo build thread with pics and video footage of what I do with my truck
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Hey Mate, would love to see some vid's of the Crawling you doing!
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

Exclamation MITCH316 Summit crawl and bash session (1st Video)

I finished editing and making my video; I didn't get much footage because of breaking the rear left drive shaft. I have managed to put together a short video of some crawling and bashing around of my truck.

I have only made a handful of videos, so this is what I came up with...I just wanted to share with you what some of us guys on this side of the globe down under in Australia are getting up to .

I am now running Trenchers on Tech5 rims...I swopped my Big Joes with my mate for these. Now that the tyres are getting soft and worn in they have made a good crawling tyre for where I am using my truck.

This is a little creek at the start of the Forest area where I live...its perfect for me; it takes about a minute for me to walk here.

Rock n Rolla !

RC Enthusiast
    Hey Craig
    What a journey. I've found this thread very detailed and informative. Plenty of pics and detailed text. I really enjoyed the clip on your last post. I've just got a set of big Joes and Axial 8 Spoke OS beadlocks. They look great fitted up, although DH seems to have misplaced 1 bag of set screws needed for two of them. Thanks for taking the time to share this thread with us.
    Cheers
    Bill
    Last edited by Billmoore1; 11-04-2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Billmoore1 View Post
    Hey Craig
    What a journey. I've found this thread very detailed and informative. Plenty of pics and detailed text. I really enjoyed the clip on your last post. I've just got a set of big Joes and Axial 8 Spoke OS beadlocks. They look great fitted up, although DH seems to have misplaced 1 bag of set screws needed for two of them. Thanks for taking the time to share this thread with us.
    Cheers
    Bill
    Thanks mate...I appreciate the time you have taken to read through my thread and for watching my video ...there will be more video footage to come.

Their is really not a lot of steep landscape to climb where I live...more forest floor and dry rocky creek beds as in my video.

That's a bummer about the packet of screws been short. I have ended up giving my Axial OS rims away to my mate (he has an eMAxx and likes those OS rims); I tested them on my truck and found I had to set my servo end points to stop them from rubbing my toe links...this caused my turning circle to be a lot wider than what it was before, I didn't like it .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    as always another great build i really like the shots of the summit and revo together

Quote Originally Posted by 4sdash View Post
    as always another great build i really like the shots of the summit and revo together
    Cheers mate...thanks for the feedback .
    Rock n Rolla !

Broke another driveshaft Monday afternoon...this time it was the short one in the front...driver error. I didn't have any spares so this is what I did; this was mentioned to me before so I thought I would try it.

I drilled a new set of holes through the shaft as shown. I had 2 attempts at this.

In my 1st attempt I didn't quiet drill the holes straight so I ended up discarding the broken piece of the short shaft. My 2nd attempt was a little bit but it was with a long shaft...because they didn't line it up exactly it was fairly difficult trying to instal the diff output CV drive...a light tap with a hammer sorted it out.

I ran the opposite end on a belt sander to shorten down to the length of a short shaft.

I didn't bother re-gluing the boot back on as this is only a temporary measure until my replacements arrive. So far it is holding up well .
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 11-09-2012 at 01:59 AM.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Another measure of resourcefulness becomes yet another interesting tip
    Thanks for sharing
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Qualifier
    I agree Kid, nice work.

I thought about pre drilling all my shafts @90 deg as Craig has done so when mine break like above its a quick fix out in the field, but I was afraid it would weaken them so I just make sure to bring a couple extras with. (That seems to be where they often break)

I might try it in the future, though, when I run out of other things to tinker with. And if Craig's hold up well.

RC Champion
    Wow, simply drilling another hole... the simplest things always make for the most interesting IMO! Awesome fix, but wouldja stop breaking them already!?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry Kid View Post
    Another measure of resourcefulness becomes yet another interesting tip
    Thanks for sharing
    I agree Kid, nice work.
    Wow, simply drilling another hole... the simplest things always make for the most interesting IMO! Awesome fix, but wouldja stop breaking them already!?
    Thanks guys...it my pleasure sharing the info. I am glad you found it useful; the shaft is still holing up well and will be replaced when the new ones arrive .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC poster
    Hi Craig, nice thread here,i'm going for the dewalt also, so can you tell me what running times you have with your 7600mah lipos?

Quote Originally Posted by AntreasGR View Post
    Hi Craig, nice thread here,i'm going for the dewalt also, so can you tell me what running times you have with your 7600mah lipos?
    Thanks mate...I get about 1 1/2hr if crawling and taking it easy...about 45 to 50 min if I am burning my truck in the dirt and crawling, I have 2 sets of batteries so I can easily get between 2 - 3hrs play time from them... that is more than enough time for me .
    Rock n Rolla !

Anyone here that is running the DeWalt motor mod having surface rust issues on the motor can?? I have noticed that my motor can is beginning to show surface rust everywhere.

I have not run my truck in wet conditions yet and nor has it been submerged in water...is anyone having similar issues??
    Rock n Rolla !

Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
    Anyone here that is running the DeWalt motor mod having surface rust issues on the motor can?? I have noticed that my motor can is beginning to show surface rust everywhere.

I have not run my truck in wet conditions yet and nor has it been submerged in water...is anyone having similar issues??
    Has no one experienced surface rust on the DeWalt motor can??

I am thinking of coating the motor can with some heat paint that we use for our NH3 compressor oil separators...the motor temps will not reach any where near an oil separators temps so the paint should not be an issue.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    That will be a nice touch. May want to check to see if motor cleaner and the paint get along.

That will be a nice touch. May want to check to see if motor cleaner and the paint get along.
    Thanks mate...the thought never occurred to me. I will check but should be OK when I think of the chemicals our service techs use when servicing these screw compressors.

Unfortunately the only colour we have in the workshop is brown..I think its called desert sand brown; it is industrial strength paint.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Competitor
    Broke another driveshaft Monday afternoon...this time it was the short one in the front...driver error. I didn't have any spares so this is what I did; this was mentioned to me before so I thought I would try it.

I drilled a new set of holes through the shaft as shown. I had 2 attempts at this.

In my 1st attempt I didn't quiet drill the holes straight so I ended up discarding the broken piece of the short shaft. My 2nd attempt was a little bit but it was with a long shaft...because they didn't line it up exactly it was fairly difficult trying to instal the diff output CV drive...a light tap with a hammer sorted it out.

I ran the opposite end on a belt sander to shorten down to the length of a short shaft.

I didn't bother re-gluing the boot back on as this is only a temporary measure until my replacements arrive. So far it is holding up well .
    that is awesome. now i know what i can do when i snap a shaft. good job!

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    I started seeing surface rust after my second wet run with my Dewalt. I sanded and sprayed with a high temp paint we had in the shop. I use an electrical contact cleaner, not a "motor cleaner" per se. So far the paint is holding up fine

Please overlook the dust

The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

Just to give some feedback on this...it lasted a couple weeks; a lot longer than I thought. Since it was only a temporary measure it did the job, unfortunately I had no spare drive shafts when it gave way. My new ones arrived this week so the Summit is back up and running once again.

I have just finished building my eSlayer...that has been keeping me busy while the Summit was down. Here's a pic of my new edition to my fleet of trucks...this truck is so much fun to play around with .

Click on image for my build thread.

Rock n Rolla !

Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry Kid View Post
    I started seeing surface rust after my second wet run with my Dewalt. I sanded and sprayed with a high temp paint we had in the shop. I use an electrical contact cleaner, not a "motor cleaner" per se. So far the paint is holding up fine
    Awesome mate...I knew I couldn't be the only one. I just had a look in the workshop and we have high temp spray paint here, so I will be spraying my motor can tomorrow.

Thanks!
    Rock n Rolla !