custom lcg possiblity!

ok so i got to thinking................ if i use say the strc conversion kit it uses the rustler upper and lower chassis plates. well i got to thinking. theres probably companies that make an aluminum rustler chassis right? well it appears that fast lane maching makes a direct replacement chassis for the rustler. so i should be able to use this for an all aluminum chassis lcg slash right?

i was thinking this might be a better more durable design setup for a lcg basher compared to something like chunkworks with all carbon fiber and a higher price tag. plus flm has there warranty as well.

so what do you guys think?
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    There is no CF on a chuckworks chassis. Is some fiberglass composite. Very very tough. The chuckworks materials have been absolutely bulletproof bashing on 2s. I cannot break it in many 35mph tumbles as a slash mt lcg. Chuckworks has a good warranty, Just have not needed it. Its 30 days replacement no questions asked on broken parts, or at least it was when I bought mine.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

One more thought... Any chassis will need some flex. An all alum truck will be prone to bend alum. Maybe such an extension of the flm parts will put stresses on the strc + flm parts that they were not designed for?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    There is no CF on a chuckworks chassis. Is some fiberglass composite. Very very tough. The chuckworks materials have been absolutely bulletproof bashing on 2s. I cannot break it in many 35mph tumbles as a slash mt lcg. Chuckworks has a good warranty, Just have not needed it. Its 30 days replacement no questions asked on broken parts, or at least it was when I bought mine.
    Sorry if I steal the thread

Maybe i am going buy this LCG chassis, What you think about it? and I saw this chassis but I dont like it. Same question: What you think about it?
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

i was thinking it was carbon fiber. but either way its not aluminum is what i was getting at. i would never run an all aluminum rig. but the main chassis being plastic is my biggest concern really. i would build it like so.

aluminum chassis
    aluminum carriers
    rpm arms
    rpm skids
    rpm bumpers
    aluminum shock towers
    rpm body posts

keeping all aluminum down the center keeps everything rigid while the rpm parts everywhere keep the needed flex.
    Drag It!

Quote Originally Posted by DBG View Post
    Sorry if I steal the thread

Maybe i am going buy this LCG chassis, What you think about it? and I saw this chassis but I dont like it. Same question: What you think about it?
    that second option is the one im talking about as well only replacing the stock traxxas upper and lower chassis with an aluminum one that is aftermarket.
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    that second option is the one im talking about as well only replacing the stock traxxas upper and lower chassis with an aluminum one that is aftermarket.
    Like this rustler chassis?
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

that actually has the same number but doesnt look like the one i was looking at.

heres the one i was looking at

http://www.fastlanemachine.net/products.php?cat=14

p.s. on a side note how the heck do i put a link in text like you guys are doing?
    Drag It!

The first one you linked is the rear motor version of the chassis I have. I can tell you that the materials he uses are super strong. I can also tell yo that my chassis was pretty heavy. Also, it was a good thing that I could make a couple of parts custom fit as some parts did not fit and needed slightly modified as they came in the package. See my mid engine lcg thread for the challenges I encountered working with the chuckworks kit. That being said, I believe I chose the perfect product to challenge the losi and associated "Race" trucks at my track. What surprised me was the durability when I turned my race truck into an lcg monster truck basher and beat the living snot out of it. Not 1 chuckworks part has failed in thousands of racing laps, and hours and hours of heavy bashing. Granted, I did not run @60mph, but this truck has taken many dead stops at over 35mph, and the chassis has handled every spine snapping impact it has received. I wish I could say that for the proline, traxxas, and rc solution (alum) parts that failed in those crashes.

You could compile the strc/traxxas parts in your second link for the same price or about 10$ cheaper if you search around.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    The first one you linked is the rear motor version of the chassis I have. I can tell you that the materials he uses are super strong. I can also tell yo that my chassis was pretty heavy. Also, it was a good thing that I could make a couple of parts custom fit as some parts did not fit and needed slightly modified as they came in the package. See my mid engine lcg thread for the challenges I encountered working with the chuckworks kit. That being said, I believe I chose the perfect product to challenge the losi and associated "Race" trucks at my track. What surprised me was the durability when I turned my race truck into an lcg monster truck basher and beat the living snot out of it. Not 1 chuckworks part has failed in thousands of racing laps, and hours and hours of heavy bashing. Granted, I did not run @60mph, but this truck has taken many dead stops at over 35mph, and the chassis has handled every spine snapping impact it has received. I wish I could say that for the proline, traxxas, and rc solution (alum) parts that failed in those crashes.

You could compile the strc/traxxas parts in your second link for the same price or about 10$ cheaper if you search around.
    OK, maybe I am going to get the first one...
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

if i was going to race in 2wd class i would go with that mid engine design all day long without a doubt. but............ i plan on pretty much just bashing mine as theres not really tracks around me anyway. and with bashing in mind the chuckworks chassis have a warranty but only 30 days and for my purpose im not a big fan of the design to hold the battery in. and flm has there severe abuse warranty where if anything happens to it ever then they replace it for a fraction of the cost typically being the price of shipping and handling. thats why i am leaning against their designs for this build.
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    Xtreme Racing has two LCG chassis for the Slash. One is CF and the other is aluminum. I just broke my stock chassis and I was looking at the aluminum LCG. I run mostly in the sand (I don't even know when I broke it). Anybody use that LCG?
    I Wanna Go Fast!

can you pm me a link to xtreme racing website? i dont have that one yet.
    Drag It!

Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    can you pm me a link to xtreme racing website? i dont have that one yet.
    http://www.xtremercracing.com/RUSTLER.cfm
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

yeah i got a pm with it already. thanks though, i figured a mod would delete it quick so thats why i asked for a pm lol.

those LTO chassis are kinda cool. really wish there was a place around here i could race at.
    Drag It!

Oops.......
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

it happens lol, the way i look at it, if your looking for parts to improve any traxxas vehicle it should be allowed. but thats just me. i dont make the rules, i just try to follow them so i can stay here with all the helpful people

so if a marshal does see this, dont take it as me complaining. the rules are what they are for a reason.
    Drag It!

It is okay to post a link for reference purposes. If you post a link to show the lowest price or to spam something out, it will be deleted. I think the way you asked for it would make it ok, but I dont enforce the rules, so it is up to mods in the end.