Thread: Rudder question

RC Enthusiast

Rudder question

I'm looking at up grading my rudder, if I buy a longer rudder I will get more stability but less speed?
    Am I correct ?
    Thanks !!!!

RC Qualifier
    I have a kintec 5 in rudder with dual water inlet. It helps turns at low speed. Turning at a few mph or less is possible. It helps with chine walk. And since its dual water inlet, the esc and motor get their own cooling line to make things run cooler.

Now in theory more rudder means more surface area pulling threw the water making more drag. But in reality there is no noticeable difference in speed. Its one of the better upgrades for this boat...

RC Qualifier
    If your playing on lakes that had a lot of weeds underneath it might hit your rudder, but if the water your playing is free from those that would be a great upgrade, you cannot run the boat on lower water as well, watch out for that.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Champion
    Main reason for rudder upgrade is cooling (dual) , found with the longer rudder the chine walk was easier to control, you can back off or power throught it easier
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    The Kintec rudder makes a huge difference in handling, and the cooling is superb. There is definitely more drag and lower speed as a result. I think I will machine-off about a half inch to help reduce the drag, but still be significantly longer than stock. Great upgrade

Carmen

RC Enthusiast
    Sweet thanks,
    I am looking at a rudder from RC boat bitz, they are a straight bolt on so no butchering my boat.
    They have two one at 130mm and another at 160mm. Do you think the 160mm will be to long?

RC Enthusiast
    Just looked at the Kintec rudder it nice but over $20 more expensive than RC boat bitz.

RC Enthusiast
    I'm not sure what you are looking at, but the entire rudder assembly is $27 from Kintec. This price is a steal and the quality is outstanding.

RC Enthusiast
    Yer, I'm looking at US dollars plus postage to one of the most isolated city's in the world.......brill.