RC Qualifier

Best gearing for off road?

I bash my Stempede 4x4 off road and the motor gets veary hot. I am useing the stock 11T/54T gearing and i am useing a 7cell 8.4v 3000mah NiMH battery. I was thinking of droping the 11T down to a 9T. But i dont know how 9T/54T is with the motor temps and the over all speed of the truck. So can anybody helpe out?

My slash 4x4 dose veary well off road with a 13T/54T gearing setup and the motor stays pretty cool. But that gearing is for smaller wheels i think.

RC Qualifier
    Yes a 9t will help with the heat.But the top end speed will be lower.
    MT Slash VXL
    Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    You got a heat sink and fan on the motor...n fan of the esc? You using 3s?

Quote Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
    You got a heat sink and fan on the motor...n fan of the esc? You using 3s?
    +1 on that and make some drill holes in your windsheild
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Racer
    you sound like me, like to bash offroad. I have the 9t, velion esc fan and a integy fan and motor sink, I have cut out the windshield, cut out the top notch on the roof, cut out some front and back bumper and finally I cut slices I the side of the truck shell and they stick out as too catch the air and make it rush in. not very pretty but seems to work. Since I have a 6400 3s I do have to let it cool down after 20 mins or so and then it's good to go for about 15 or so, mind you this is high speed on/ of road runs. Purly off road I think it would last without cooling down. Hope this helps. As far as the top speed it's still pretty quick, when I called traxxas about on issue i had, the guy told me he had the 9t with 3s in his pede and it goes roughly 40mph, pleanty fast offroad.
    Last edited by mattstang2007; 09-01-2012 at 02:20 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I wish Traxxas would make a 10T. I tried a 10T from Robinson Racing and liked the way it performed. Problem is, they'e slightly narrower than the spur so you're not getting full contact. The teeth wear down into sharpened points, and then they saw down the spur gear and you have to replace both.

Quote Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
    I wish Traxxas would make a 10T. I tried a 10T from Robinson Racing and liked the way it performed. Problem is, they'e slightly narrower than the spur so you're not getting full contact. The teeth wear down into sharpened points, and then they saw down the spur gear and you have to replace both.
    Those RR gears are hard and made very well, but I'm suprised they aren't wider. Some of my pinion gears are narrower than the spur but I never paid attention to the brands.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC poster
    i use a 9t and speed control fan plus integy motor heat sink with fan and have no more issues. i had to change to the 9 tooth after i installed the proline trencher tires. truck works mint!

Lately I've been changing over to roll bars with no lid. When I get my Sl4sh up and running i'll do the same.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...