Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Buying a 2011 Gt Mustang

Well I am 15 Years Old now.
    I am turning 16 in October and will start looking for one in November.
    Im so excited to finally have my first car!
    Any one want to throw their 2 cents in about the car?
    Here is the Car and colors Im considering

Kona-

Sterling Gray-

Black-
    Xo-1
    Pede 4x4 PE - Slash 4x4 PE
    Miss Geico Boat

RC Champion
    A kid at my school (graduated last year) had a Mustang 6 cylinder and it was that first blue color but everything else was black like the wheels, grille, and tail lights. It looked really nice.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTuesdays View Post
    A kid at my school (graduated last year) had a Mustang 6 cylinder and it was that first blue color but everything else was black like the wheels, grille, and tail lights. It looked really nice.
    thats probably the look I would want to go for if I get that color
    Xo-1
    Miss Geico Boat

RC Racer
    If your going to spend the money id look into 93-98 Toyota Supras, can be found for cheap(twin turbo models for 20,000 and under) and N/A models even cheaper. PLUS they can easily pull 800-850hp with just an addition of a turbo or single swap.

Just my two cents, anyway good luck choosing
    Slash 4x4 VXL/3Racing sakura D3
    Castle Powered

RC Qualifier
    I have always wanted a mustang in a navy blue color.. I really want a Shelby cobra gt500 mustang with glass packs
    Never trust a fart.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostedSupra10 View Post
    If your going to spend the money id look into 93-98 Toyota Supras, can be found for cheap(twin turbo models for 20,000 and under) and N/A models even cheaper. PLUS they can easily pull 800-850hp with just an addition of a turbo or single swap.

Just my two cents, anyway good luck choosing
    I would But I dont need that powerful of a car , Especially for my first car.
    400 Hp is enough hahah
    Xo-1
    Miss Geico Boat

Well I am 15 Years Old now.
    I am turning 16 in October and will start looking for one in November.
    Im so excited to finally have my first car!
    LUCKY! Personaly, I wold get a dodge challnger r/t (STR8?) and you could get the AWSOME hemi 6.2 liter for more than 450 hp! Or you can get the V6, with the new penstar engine in it. I say that because it make 300 hp, and gets 30- 40 mpg. Just my .2 cents!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    LUCKY! Personaly, I wold get a dodge challnger r/t (STR8?) and you could get the AWSOME hemi 6.2 liter for more than 450 hp! Or you can get the V6, with the new penstar engine in it. I say that because it make 300 hp, and gets 30- 40 mpg. Just my .2 cents!
    Or the V6 Mustang Makes 305 Hp
    But Im getting a V8 Becasue there is only a $1500 price diffrence between the V8 and V6 of 2011
    Xo-1
    Miss Geico Boat

RC Enthusiast
    The Kona Blue is nice. Heckuva lot of car for a 16 year old, though....how do you even afford a car like that at your age?

Have you looked into insurance costs yet? If you lived where I live, you'd never be able to afford to insure that car at your age.
    Stampede 4x4 VXL
    Son's: Rustler XL-5, EREVO VXL

RC Champion
    Lol I know right^^^ my truck 03 v8 Chevy was high in insurance I can't imagine a sports car when I was 16 at 21 my insurance in my F250 is still high and I'm married

RC Champion
    That's why I don't want a car. I start the driving portion of drivers ed on Tuesday (already had the classroom part) and it will be cool to have my license but I don't really want to drive. I have no where important to go so I'd rather save thousands of dollars for RCs.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by -FLEX- View Post
    The Kona Blue is nice. Heckuva lot of car for a 16 year old, though....how do you even afford a car like that at your age?

Have you looked into insurance costs yet? If you lived where I live, you'd never be able to afford to insure that car at your age.
    Well my dad made a deal with me when I was 7 that he would pay for half of my first car any car that I wanted.
    I have been pinching pennies ever since and have worked the past two summers and have been buying and reselling RCS.
    I saved $13k while my sister (she is my twin and my dad gave her the same deal) saved $500. I was smart and I saved.
    I have looked into insurance and it is not as bad as you may think.
    Xo-1
    Miss Geico Boat

RC Qualifier
    its actually .02 not .2
    RACE IT, BREAK IT, FIX IT, REPEAT!

RC Qualifier
    That's only of you like looking fast, but actually going slow. New 5.0 Mustang is the way to go. Much lighter weight car, less expensive car, faster car. Turns 12's bone stock. Easy addition of a blower (say the FRPP Whipple) with some good drag radials, and you're going 10's, all while retaining the factory warranty (only with the FRPP Whipple).

Sounds like a no brainer to me...
    ERBE Summit E-Slayer
    EMBE
    Rustler
    P4DE Sl4sh

So, for your very first car you are going to get a 400 hp sports car.....

TO be honest, I'd suggest getting something not as powerful and fancy.... Most people in there first 2 years of driving will get into at least 1 accident according to AAA.....

I know it's sounds real exciting to get such a nice car, but there's a lot to be said about having a powerful sports car with very little driving experience...

If you do go this route, take it easy and learn the rules and tricks of the road, understand that defensive driving skills can and does save lives....

Enjoy! BTW I like the Silver, you can do some nice custom add on's to that type of paint and make it really stand out....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Racer
    The Kona with black is sweet. You have the cash grab it ! You may crash it or your friends may thrash it but its high school have fun. My insurance was over $2400yr for full coverage on a mustang 5.0 when I was 16. I crashed my 'stang right around graduation and got a Honda prelude with the insurance and a bit for rims and tires, I drove over 200k miles all over the USA and Mexico during the college years in that Honda only putting gas and oil changes into it.. Actually I sunk it in the ocean at Pismo Beach CA and had to pay $6g for a new engine, ecu and wiring hmmm need to rethink this

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by YOLOer View Post
    I saved $13k while my sister (she is my twin and my dad gave her the same deal) saved $500. I was smart and I saved.
    Much respect. My son did the same and saved up $14k and bought his first car cash at age 16.

He bought a MazdaSpeed Protege and his insurance was about 7 grand a year. Up here (Ontario, Canada) that's about what you can expect until you have a few years of driving under your belt and reach age 25.

Good luck with the car.
    Stampede 4x4 VXL
    Son's: Rustler XL-5, EREVO VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by -FLEX- View Post
    Much respect. My son did the same and saved up $14k and bought his first car cash at age 16.

He bought a MazdaSpeed Protege and his insurance was about 7 grand a year. Up here (Ontario, Canada) that's about what you can expect until you have a few years of driving under your belt and reach age 25.

Good luck with the car.
    Thanks.
    Yea Mine is not even close to that much!
    Xo-1
    Miss Geico Boat

RC Champion
    Wow, *edit* first car IMO. Good luck to you and be sure to let us know how it goes.... with pics.
    Last edited by Double G; 09-01-2012 at 09:38 PM.
    Land of the free?

That's why I don't want a car. I start the driving portion of drivers ed on Tuesday (already had the classroom part) and it will be cool to have my license but I don't really want to drive. I have no where important to go so I'd rather save thousands of dollars for RCs.
    Same here. I know if I got a car/truck, I will spend all of my time working on it and trying to make it perfect, just like I do to my rc's, and I don't know if I could aford that... LOL. I'd rather worry about collage and stuuf like that before I get a car. And besides, it means more money and time for rc cars!

RC Qualifier
    i agree with wolfslash, challengers are awesome cars... personally no experience with either car, but i have two of the kids in my school raced (one in a stang and one in a challenger), both stocks stock except for the mustang having tinted wheels and after market rims, the challenger just blew the stang away. both are good cars, but i would personally go with the challenger
    kawasaki summit, revo& slash; regular rusty, pede

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Everyone.
    I wll be sure to provide pics
    Xo-1
    Miss Geico Boat

RC Champion
    You're 15 and looking at a Mustang? This might be more of your speed (and still expect to get screwed on insurance)
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bjoehandley View Post
    You're 15 and looking at a Mustang? This might be more of your speed (and still expect to get screwed on insurance)
    Easy now lol the kid said he saved up 13 grand he obviously has his heart set just make sure ur smart with it the first ticket u get is going to jack ur insurance sky high( trust me lol I used to street race "very stupid thing to do" )

a mustang 5.0 gt for a first car is something but if your a good driver and take it easy not showing off for friends anywhere except the race track maybe but i dont recommend it since you can still crash. I bought my first car at 16 cash didnt drive it though till 18 but traded my truck in and bought a car and ins was 97 a month full coverage w/ my wife of course. a good car and fast for sure for a first car but worth it in the long run since you would want it later on in life why not buy it now since you have the cash on hand and that offer to help buy it so i would go for it for sure.

another thing to the OP: you can test drive one for a few days at a rental company or car dealer to get the feel for it before buying it well worth it to make sure its what you want and you can handle the power of the car. i hear they have not so good braking at higher speeds stopping above 60mph same as the 2012-2013's. other cars in that same line up stop better but dont handle as good in corners.
    Last edited by mike-susieq1; 09-01-2012 at 07:18 PM.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

Quote Originally Posted by YOLOer View Post
    Really? I think you might be surprised how high it is for a 16 y/o with a muscle car.

Sent from Tapatalk version 3.14159265359
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    You got 13k saved? Lucky, I got about 3500. My first cars gonna be a truck and you can buy such a nice modified truck with 13k ill tell you what. This is my view but a truck can take just a wee bit more of a beating than a brand new mustang. Oh and if you do get a Mustang please get a stick.
    Nothin' like a 4 on the floor and a V8

RC Champion
    you should get a camero so cool looking just my say because i am a chevy guy

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 02hawk View Post
    Oh and if you do get a Mustang please get a stick.
    What's a mustang that's not a stick?
    Never trust a fart.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Really? I think you might be surprised how high it is for a 16 y/o with a muscle car.

Sent from Tapatalk version 3.14159265359

I'm thinking he'd need quite a bit of that $13k just to insure that Pinto motored beasty I posted the pic of! My first car was a 10 year old '85 Lebaron GTS hatchback sedan with a turbocharged 2.2l SOHC I-4, liability was about $500 less than I paid for it and full coverage would have been about $900 more than I paid........with tax! Some vehicles.cost more to insure than others, believe it or not, at nearly 36 years of age, my 14 year old Cherokee still costs nearly as much to insure as the 2012 200 Touring I bought back in April, and the 3.6l V-6 in the 200 puts out 90 more hp than the 4.0l I-6 in the Jeep! Not sure why, can't be because it's tippy, there are corners it can take just as well if non better than many "sports" cars!
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Qualifier
    you can make anything go fast, if you're getting a stang to "go fast", i think you're going about it all wrong. To give an example, we put in enough aftermaket parts too give our 01 dodge dually 750 horsepower and 1200 ft of torque... i think you should get a 1st gen dodge truck, cheap to insure, cheap to fix, and they just last forever... i know alot of people that have first gen trucks with over a million miles on it.... and counting. my 2 cents, dont want to start a flame war
    kawasaki summit, revo& slash; regular rusty, pede

you can make anything go fast, if you're getting a stang to "go fast", i think you're going about it all wrong. To give an example, we put in enough aftermaket parts too give our 01 dodge dually 750 horsepower and 1200 ft of torque... i think you should get a 1st gen dodge truck, cheap to insure, cheap to fix, and they just last forever... i know alot of people that have first gen trucks with over a million miles on it.... and counting. my 2 cents, dont want to start a flame war
    +1^ That's what I plan on doing after high school!

RC Champion
    FORD!!!!!!lol I love my F250

RC Qualifier
    That 5.0 Mustang but in a golden color with black rims would look like God on Earth.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    So, for your very first car you are going to get a 400 hp sports car.....

TO be honest, I'd suggest getting something not as powerful and fancy.... Most people in there first 2 years of driving will get into at least 1 accident according to AAA.....
    I'm in agreement, I love RWD V8 ponycars, but I think you'll be better off on something with less power.

If I were your parents, and you honestly loved cars and were a responsible kid I'd suggest something like a Focus SVT (ST170 here in Europe). You can get it cheap, it will be fun (specially for a new driver), it'll be safer... And most importantly it'll teach you a lot about driving.

I know you saved lots of money, but strike a deal with your dad. Tell him that you really want a Mustang GT but you want to polish your driving skills for a couple of years, I'm sure your parents will appreciate your sensible attitude here. Who knows, he may agree to pay for 2/3 of your second car And you'll end up with a ZR1.

I know a Mustang GT is priced affordably, but honestly a 400hp ponycar is a lot of car for a new driver! Far too much.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by cunawarit View Post
    If I were your parents, and you honestly loved cars and were a responsible kid I'd suggest something like a Focus SVT (ST170 here in Europe). You can get it cheap, it will be fun (specially for a new driver), it'll be safer... And most importantly it'll teach you a lot about driving.
    You stole my idea!

I had a 2002 SVT Focus for 2 years sold it just a few months ago. Freekin awesome car. It would keep up with 2010 GTs just fine.

I had a mustang before the focus, 1993 2.3L I4 5speed. Great car too perfect first car. Cheaper insurance then the focus. But sold it for my focus then sold the focus for a 1992 mustang 5.0 5speed convertible. Great car too but am selling because I bought a 1996 ranger.

RC Champion
    heres my opinion, the odds of you getting yourself in trouble with a 5L are huge. im 18, and have had my license for 2 years, when i graduated i borrowed a 5L for prom. Oh my god, it was almost impossible for me to go even close to the speed limit in that car. Of course i had the time of my life launching from 1st to 2nd with the tires spinning for 50ft but the power was something that unless treated properly could easily, take away your license or your life for that matter. Its your call but i would suggest something more in the 250-300hp range, even thats a good chunk to learn on.. my .02
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

RC Champion
    Kona Blue for sure. Theres a guy I go to school with that drives a car identical for that.

I agree with all the "older" people saying that is a lot of car, however that engine size doesn't make it unsafe. My first car is a V8 91 camaro. Even though its much slower than a new stang, in ways its more dangerous. Less safety, no TCS or ABS. So overall if It just comes down to being respnsible. If you don't speed, really the mustang should be a safe car. Way safer than that White Stang pictured above, that might not even have airbags, nor half the saftey engineering put into the car.
    You can only have 2
    Cheap-Performance-Reliability

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rustler 007 View Post
    Kona Blue for sure. Theres a guy I go to school with that drives a car identical for that.

I agree with all the "older" people saying that is a lot of car, however that engine size doesn't make it unsafe. My first car is a V8 91 camaro. Even though its much slower than a new stang, in ways its more dangerous. Less safety, no TCS or ABS. So overall if It just comes down to being respnsible. If you don't speed, really the mustang should be a safe car. Way safer than that White Stang pictured above, that might not even have airbags, nor half the saftey engineering put into the car.
    Very good point.
    Matthew 7:7

RC Qualifier
    Where do you live? Everyone is talking about a high powered car being unsafe, forgot to mention a high power RWD car on snow is even more.