Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast

MIPs & aluminium carriers

Hey guys I just purchased the Fr/Rr MIP kit for my P4de. I also have STRC aluminium C-blocks & carriers. I'm having issues with the MIPs rubbing the STRC carriers & possibly the c-blocks. Does any one else have this configuration or have a fix that they've done? I don't want to go back to stock on the carriers. Should I take a little bit of meat out of the inside of the carriers and mod them for use with the MIPs? I know just a tad of the pin that connects the half shaft to the stub sticks out a hair even while centered. I can fix this with a grinding disk with my rotary tool.

I have not checked the rear carriers if they will pose an issue or not. I doubt it since they will be only moving vertically and only flex horizontally slightly if the a-arms give. Lol

Any help, suggestions, & tips are appreciated. Thanks guys.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III ~ using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

I am not using the MIPs on the front end, but I have the same problem at the rear end. My MIPs have a nice shiny silver colored edge. Your fix will probably help to solve it.
    Nobody is born with experience

Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    I am not using the MIPs on the front end, but I have the same problem at the rear end. My MIPs have a nice shiny silver colored edge. Your fix will probably help to solve it.
    Oh no!! I was hoping to not have any issues with the back carriers to. Are you running STRC ones?
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    for my sl4sh build I went with all gunmetal strc and I was very dissapointed to find that the mip's seem to have no chance of working with those knuckles. I'm running traxxas blue carriers the strc rear carriers do not rub the mip's but the traxxas ones do rub.
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

Yeah, I have the Traxxas ones on the rear. Front is STRC.

RC Qualifier
    On my traxxas alum rears I had to take some off the carrier top inside. Use a sturdy box cutter razor knife and shave it out. Alum is soft

Awesome guys appreciate that i'm not the only one that came across this issue. I guess I should have asked first. I'll see what I can do to make the fronts work.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Well I fixed the rubbing/ binding that the MIP's had with the STRC c-blocks. I put the c-blocks in my vise and grinded away some of the meat. I used my Dremel ( rotary tool ) with the sanding wheel. It took a handful of passes to get it where I wanted it without any bind or any part of it touching. I meant to measure the ID of the STRC Carriers with my calipers and forgot. Arhhh LOL I also couldnt find the pic of the after results of sanding them down. I'll take some pics and post them up here of the finished state.

I also did a mod and added a Heli Carbon Fiber tail boom over the half shaft. I love the finished result of it.

Don't mind the dirty truck. But hey that means its been run and had countless hours of fun. This winter i'll be busting into them and freshening them up.

Also here is a pic of the Sensored/ Unsensored vs of the MMP. I'll be soldering on the Traxxas connector and installing it this evening. I'm also hoping I don't have to do any modding to the rear carriers for the MIP install.

Thanks for looking guys. Hope you like the carbon fiber on the MIPs.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Lol @ carbon look. I wouldn't want carbon drive shafts. Those would be toast in no time. ;-)

Lol @ carbon look. I wouldn't want carbon drive shafts. Those would be toast in no time. ;-)
    Jealous!!! LOL Worst they can do is get all banged up. If so i'll slice them off. I checked they shouldnt rub anything, just there for looks.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    On the part of the shaft that's rubbing, I took a small grinder and just grinded around the outside evenly and just removed just a little of the metal. Been working great.
    SUMMIT,EREVO
    P4DE,MERV

RC Qualifier
    I'm glad you found a good solution though
    SUMMIT,EREVO
    P4DE,MERV

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAFAN View Post
    On the part of the shaft that's rubbing, I took a small grinder and just grinded around the outside evenly and just removed just a little of the metal. Been working great.
    Yeah I got them to work. I just had to mod the inside of the carrier a little bit. Nothing a rotary tool with a sanding wheel can't fix. I didn't take enough off that it would effect the strength of them.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

I love the look of your CF mips.Glad your carriers are sorted...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

The new sensored/ unsensored MMP has been installed. Back to the

Now to finish up the MIP's for the rear of the truck. Then i'll throw the Castle Link up and program it on up. I'm ready to start bashing this sucker again. LOL
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    New esc that's nice. I dont think it is getting enough air, on one side the on/off switch with velcro on the heatsink, in the back the wires, and on the other side the motor, just saying.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 08-29-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Good catch man!! I'm going to move the switch this evening to the Servo probably. I so wanted to move the ESC to the front of the truck but the wires dont reach.

Thanks man. Good eyes!! I missed that totally when I installed it to the truck. The last one i had it was mounted on the side of the motor can fan.

Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    nice truck pede i like the carbon mabey it will help the mip's not rust so much

I moved the switch to the side of the CC Blower fan. Thanks RC*Fan for noticing that.

Driver rear MIP installed with Heli CF Tail Boom. No rubbing whatsover again the STRC Carriers. So i'm good to go.

It went real smooth. Now for the Passenger Rr side.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Nice work Digger, that's my favorite out of the MMP line. Just a thought also, make sure you mountthe switch with power on to the front or A hard hit will shut it off. I use the side or top pf my servo.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

Ten to the Four!!! I had actually thought about that to. I really put it there for convenience as I can cut it on and off with the Shroud on. Hey I ordered a Zipper Shrould from 'The Toyz', a spare one for the Sl4sh and one for my boys MERV. Man that MERV loves to snatch some grass and debris. LOL

Oh and I was also thinking while during this downtime I should have dyed that chassis Black. Maybe I'll do a tear down in the coming months. It will be about time to check on the diffs & gears and clean the truck up.

Man I just picked up a Bandit roller in the MP.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Lol --- your an addict when------ you just picked up a bandit roller from the market place for something to do lol.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    Lol --- your an addict when------ you just picked up a bandit roller from the market place for something to do lol.
    Haha You saw that huh?? Crazy aren't I??

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III ~ using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

What do I read? Digger entering the Bandit scene???

What do I read? Digger entering the Bandit scene???
    Oh yeah!!! LOL I'm bored now, need something else to build on. Actually I need to work on my ERBE. Need to install the TQi Rx and see if there are any troubles with it and my JR Servo. That's actually a quick easy fix and inspect.

Anyways. The last MIP was installed and looks good. I switched 2 of the motor wires and now i'm good to go. Lawn work this evening and looking like a 3 day weekend finally. WooHoo!!!

BTW what's the benefit of swapping the CVD's on the opposite ends. Should I? Might be hard since i've put red threadlocker on them now. I mean I can/ could still do it.

Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    I was thinking about getting that bandit lol
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410