Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

RC Qualifier

shoe goo and drywall tape?

where do i find this stuff? and after i find it what order do i put them on the truck? i need to know before friday cuse i'm going to granparents for bashing session!
    RACE IT, BREAK IT, FIX IT, REPEAT!

RC Qualifier
    I found shoe goo at wal-mart in the shoe section no less
    You can get the drywall tape at any hardware store. Make sure you get the one that is not solid.

I just did mine and found it way easier to put the drywall tape down first then cover with the goo. Using your finger to smear it around until the drywall tape is covered. Then I used a hobby knife to cut out the holes.

I let mine cure for 48 hours.

RC Qualifier
    thanks for the quick reply!

RC Qualifier
    No problem. I wore rubber gloves and be in a well ventilated area. I used almost one whole tube on just the hood and bed.

RC Qualifier
    Amazing Goop is a good alternate to Shoo Goo. Its the same stuff and can be found at Lowes. Also, my process was exactly the same as tjoed when i repaired my body. Worked great!
    4WD MonsterMutt WPSC8:4Pole 3400kV | GOT DIRT?

RC Champion
    I have a video how to on youtube that how help you out. Like the others said. Great method...
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Qualifier
    dknuckes, whats the name of your vid, or what do i search

RC Champion

I also have a couple others in a how to, tips playlist as well. Hope this helps.

RC Qualifier
    watched parts think i get it!about how far will this set my wallet back!??!

RC Champion
    The shoe goo is about 4-5$ and drywall tape I don't remember. But it certainly helps alot. I have vids taking 20 ft plus drops landing on the lid taking no damage.

RC Qualifier
    dknuckles, that 50's willys body looks strong, is it real thick!?!?

RC Champion
    It's .40mil lexan. A little thicker than stock.

I have done my last 4 bodys with this method and all i can say is super tough they can take a bashing
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys! Helps a ton

RC Qualifier
    just happened to be at walmart and meijers yesterday so i got both of the supplies, any tips from any one before i start on this body!?!? all comments are welcome

Quote Originally Posted by atclauss View Post
    just happened to be at walmart and meijers yesterday so i got both of the supplies, any tips from any one before i start on this body!?!? all comments are welcome
    Clean it like you're prepping for paint so you get better adhesion. Reinforce around the 4 body holes. Reinforce under the wheel wells, bumper areas and cab.

Lay down the mesh tape first and get it how you want it then cover with glue. Use popsicle sticks or a plastic knife to spread it around. Wear rubber gloves, work outside with plenty of fresh air.

Let it dry for a full day before using.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC poster
    FYI once applied you can smooth it out with an ice cube to get a really good finish

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Guys, you dont need to use a ton of this stuff. Inspect your body very closely every time you change your battery. The moment you see a crack, put the tape and goo on after you clean the area and give it a light scuff. YOU DO NOT NEED TO COVER THE ENTIRE BODY!!! Just wasting material and adding extra unneeded weight up high on your rc. There is absolutley no reason to cover the entire bed or hood. The corners are where the body is most prone to crack. If you are replacing an old damaged body with a new one, add this stuff only where the old one was cracking. Repair any new cracks as you go. DONT WASTE YOUR GOO!
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Guys, you dont need to use a ton of this stuff. Inspect your body very closely every time you change your battery. The moment you see a crack, put the tape and goo on after you clean the area and give it a light scuff. YOU DO NOT NEED TO COVER THE ENTIRE BODY!!! Just wasting material and adding extra unneeded weight up high on your rc. There is absolutley no reason to cover the entire bed or hood. The corners are where the body is most prone to crack. If you are replacing an old damaged body with a new one, add this stuff only where the old one was cracking. Repair any new cracks as you go. DONT WASTE YOUR GOO!
    I cover the whole body because of where and how I play. It's actually a really good to hit your crack prone areas before they crack.

DONT WASTE YOUR GOO!
    This is my New favorite quote.

I bought a custom painted body for my huge 12 lb erbe:

The painter cut too deep when trimming the liquid mask in many places. On my first run the body came apart in about 8 areas. separated completely and the body was actually in 3 pieces. I added a 1/4 of a tube of goo and tape to put this jigsaw back together. After, I could not believe how it held for the next 4 months bashing daily. There are a lot of flat areas on this body. None have goo or tape. Lots of cartwheels, flat roof landings from 10-20 feet up. I have made a couple of repairs since, but only in the corners. Any flat panels goo'd are a waste of goo.

How and where do you run? This truck was ran hard, and no flat areas were ever damaged, no matter what I did. The corners were touched up, but only with small patches.

You wasted your goo.

RC Champion
    I run downtown alot on the concrete areas, skate park, asphalt piles etc. The bodies take a beating tremendously. Trust me I didn't wast the goo. I bash every week atleast 1x or 2x.

RC Competitor
    Going to try it this week. Subscribed to your channel just because of that video lol. Great rc videos on your channel as well. I need to start putting some up.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2

RC Champion
    Thanks TheNitroGuy for the sub. Put your vids up. We all like to watch others.

Atclauss Make sure to let it sit 24 hours before running it. have fun running and good luck with the process...

RC Qualifier
    just put it on and drilled holes! going to aunts right now who just happens to have a gravel drive, lets see how this holds up!

RC Qualifier
    Worked gr8! Bashed hard and it was just fine

If your not landing on spikes, the flat areas will be fine. goo the corners and creases.

RC Champion
    Curves and creases works for most...

RC Competitor
    The More goo the better!

RC Qualifier
    just did aorund body holes!

Better to flip the truck with 2 tubes worth of extra weight way up high...

RC Champion
    It doesn't add that much weight to it. Besides the body is for bashing and an extra tube of goo costs 5$. That isn't much to complain about considering what folks spend their money on every day. What works for one may not work for another.

RC Qualifier
    it was cheap for me and i'm only a freshman in high school!cheap fix for any body and works gr8!

Works great is right. Just a waste to use too much is all I am saying. Tape a tube to the hood or bed and see if it makes your truck flip easier. Just trying to help here, said my piece, do what you like.

RC Champion
    Works great is right. Just a waste to use too much is all I am saying. Tape a tube to the hood or bed and see if it makes your truck flip easier. Just trying to help here, said my piece, do what you like.
    I run my gopro suction cup mount on my truck which is alot heavier than a tube of goo and can handle racing with it on. For some the extra couple of oz's helps.
    Last edited by Dknuckles; 09-08-2012 at 11:16 AM.

The first time I did the Shoe Goo/Drywall tape thing I got very carried away and virtually lined the entire inside of the Desert Rat body. I would say it more than doubled the weight of the body and was really not a good idea.Now I simply reenforce the area around the body holes and any known weak areas in the body. If I develop a crack I will patch it, you can apply the Shoe Goo and drywall mesh anytime after you paint he body.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

My LHS sells this stuff now. I used to get it at the hardware store.

I do understand how adding weight can help down low. I just traded my go pro for an mmp. Those suckers are heavy. I could have used it with my erbe, but my race slash... It would really hamper the agility of my truck. Sorry if I sounded negative earlier, and did not mean to crap on that vid, but after doing the creases and corners on my erbe body, and not the flat spots, the body is bulletproof. I dont think a full body cast would affect the erbe much, but on my 1/10 trucks, that extra 4-8 oz up high on the hood and bed would drastically affect the stability.I would suggest on your next hardcore basher body, try it my way. I would bet a buck that the flat spots would remain uninjured.

RC Champion
    I have done just the corners and curves and realized for me that the whole body was the way to go. There are lots of rocks in the ground where we go since the island gets flooded out alot. Also when you land on your front or rear bumper, the stiffer body helps dissipate the enery better by reducing all that body flex which create stress cracks. Atleast in my exp. I don't race so I don't see it as an issue for me. My buddy only shoe goo's his body posts on his erevo since it has a cage. But the slash guys have started doing the same with thier bodies on thier own. Not to mention my buddies savages and erevos are all very heavy and like to run my slash's over. I break less parts when the bodies are fully done.

RC Competitor
    I did this to my body yesterday - covered the entire inside of the body and doubled up in some areas. Used about a tube and ahalf of that shoe goo. If I find that it starts flipping easier, I'll end up buying a different body, but I don't run my crazy hard yet so should be fine.