Thread: help please

RC Racer

help please

trying to get old pinon off to put on the 9t and the stock one will not come off. I even bent the Alen wrench. It looks like there is red loctite on it, sooooo how do I losen it, before I lose my mind lol.

on a side note can I use wd40 on the motor to keep it lubed or is this a horrible idea. Don't worry I asked before I tried, just in case.
    Last edited by mattstang2007; 08-28-2012 at 11:46 PM.

RC Racer
    Use a screwdriver hex. You will get more rotational torque to break the loctite bond.

WD-40 is great for rust protection. Use a bearing lube on the motor bearings. Stuff I use comes in small bottle and is blue in color. Most LHS will have this in stock.

The Village Idiot
    Last edited by YFZBOB; 08-28-2012 at 11:52 PM.

RC Qualifier
    you have to heat it uo a little . you can use i small tourch to do it . or if you dont have one of those do what i did the first time i had one stuck before i got a tourch . get a candle and an old allen you dont use antmore and heat the end of it up then put it in the yop of the screw . keep doin this until the set screw gets hot enough to turn it out with a good allen wrench . heating up your good wrench will make it weak !
    REVO 3.3, T MAXX 3.3 , JATO 3.3 , STAMPEDE VXL 4X4

RC Racer
    k thanks guys

RC Qualifier
    You could also heat it up with a soldering iron or gun!

RC Qualifier
    I seem to have stripped my grub screw on my pinion. Any tips to getting a stripped grub out?

Quote Originally Posted by tjtoed View Post
    I seem to have stripped my grub screw on my pinion. Any tips to getting a stripped grub out?
    Best way I have found destroys the pinion gear. Use a Dremel tool with a grinding stone and carefully grin away at the pinion around the screw until it you can get the screw out. Like I said it destroys the pinion you just have to be careful not to damage the motor shaft.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    do what Dad said, and get some quality hex tools, don't use the ones that comes with your car.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah. I figured I'd have to destroy the pinion.

RC Qualifier
    i used an easy out the last time it happened to me ! you can get them on ebay cheap here is a set but they have tons of them just make sure it goes small enough !
    REVO 3.3, T MAXX 3.3 , JATO 3.3 , STAMPEDE VXL 4X4

RC Racer
    So yeah I definitely had to Dremel that mother. took me forever and I had to trim the top of the shaft off. man I was ready to pull the motor and smash, then burn it. I was so frustrated buuuuut I got it off and got the 9t on and I defiantly like this set up, still plenty fast on road and powers through the grass/dirt just fine.