RC poster

what brushless should i get?

I have a stampede xl-5 and wanted to upgrade to brushless but I am new to the hobby and dont know what brand is good quality and worth the money. I do alot of bashing and jumping with it and live on a hill. i still have the stock setting except for shocks. what motor should i get?

RC Qualifier
    velineon system, Awesome sevice and warrenty
    P2de ~ Ultimate Slash 4x4 ~ Bandit

stampede 4 life
    I have the castle creations sv2 4600 kv that thing is a beast!!!!!!!Great price too,castle has great support.

RC Champion
    Figure out what kind of pack you are willing to run. Between 2S and 3S lipo, you can select the most optimal kv rating for the motor.

RC Racer
    I agree with oaks. What kind of batt are you planning on running? Also ball bearings in the wheels are a great upgrade. You currently have bushings if you have the stock. They wear out quickly on brushless.
    Back to subject (sorry) i just purchased a tacon motor from hobbyparts.com it is a 3674 2800 kv. When it comes i will tell you how it performs. It only cost like $45 which is cheap in comparison to castle creations. I also got a toro 120a esc off the bay for around $60 which is also cheap. It will be here in about a month due to slow shipping from hong kong.
    Hope i can help. I am 15 and went through the exact thing as you starting with xl-5

RC Qualifier
    I keep forgetting about the sidewinder set up.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Viper Copperhead is a good 4-pole system for about $145. I have two of the 4500kv systems and like them a lot.

Sent from Tapatalk version 3.14159265359
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Well I was just eat'n sum pede and drink-n a slash

RC Qualifier
    One question you need to ask your self is do you want it to be waterproof

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    +1 to tagar.

If you want to stay waterproof the VXL-3S Vileneon 3500kv ( 2-pole ) is a great setup.

If you want to be water resistant ( splash of water ) the CC Sv2 3800kv or CC MMP 3800kv both ( 4-pole ) are really good combos. Meaning you can gear higher and run cooler than its 2-pole counter parts. I also run the CC 4000kv ( Vektor by HPI ) and its a nice little setup to.

There are many other good combos out there, depends on your budget. Tekin offers some awesome Pro-4 motors which you can combine with the MMP ESC. If you are looking for something in the budget relm, you have Tacon ( which iv'e run ), Tenshock, Venom, or EZRun. These are a few to name.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    A few recommendations for a brushless setup:

1) Traxxas VXL-3s with 3500kv motor kit (waterproof)
    2) Castle Creations SCT with 3800 kv motor kit (not waterproof, but water resistant on a good day)
    3) Hobbywing EZRUN-WP-SC8 ESC (waterproof, will need to purchase a motor seperately)
    4) HPI Flux Reload V2 ESC (waterproof, will need to purchase a motor seperately)
    5) HPI Flux Vapor ESC (waterproof, will need to purchase a motor seperately)
    6) HPI Flux Vapor Pro ESC (waterproof, will need to purchase a motor seperately)

As noted above some ESC's are waterproof, some are not. Personally, i believe getting a waterproof ESC is the better bet as it adds a little insurance to your ESC if you happen to get it wet. For the motors, some brushless setups come with a motor, some do not. If your in a situation where your buying an ESC and it doesnt come with the motor, i would suggest buying a 4 pole motor which offers more torque than a 2 pole motor, and one that is between 3500-4000 kv range.

Keep in mind, when you upgrade to brushless, you may also have to upgrade your TX/RX to a FM unit as the brushless motors tend to create more electrical noise and can diminish signal strength (talking from experience and i want to emphasize that you "may" run into this problem not that you actually will). Not sure if you have an AM or FM TX/RX, but just wanted to throw this out there.

You will want LIPO batteries and you will need a charger that supports LIPO's. I emphasize "you will want" because you dont "have to have" lipo's to run a brushless motor, but in order to run a brushless setup efficiently and get the most out of it you will want to use LIPO packs. Most people use LIPO's or upgrade to LIPO's when installing a brushless setup.

Youll need ball bearings all around. This is something that i would not compromise on as ball bearings add to the performance, durability and reliability of a rc vehicle with a brushless setup.

Thats about all i got. I hope i didnt confuse anyone and wanted to shed some lite on other aspects of "going brushless" that we dont always think about. Its not always just about the motor and esc.
    4WD MonsterMutt WPSC8:4Pole 3400kV | GOT DIRT?

There was a recent HPI flux review on the forum recently and it was very positive. As I recall, its waterproof and CC makes it.

RC Qualifier
    Take the HPI Vapor off the list! Both Vapor ESCs have vaporized on both of our Savage XS. Both ESCs were sent out for warranty repair and both my replacements also vaporized shortly after. These ESCs do not last on 3s, I know from experience and from having two sets.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    XO-1|SlashUE-MMM2200|Rally-SV2&MERV-MMP w/NEU1112

Quote Originally Posted by all aluminum View Post
    Take the HPI Vapor off the list! Both Vapor ESCs have vaporized on both of our Savage XS. Both ESCs were sent out for warranty repair and both my replacements also vaporized shortly after. These ESCs do not last on 3s, I know from experience and from having two sets.

I'll remember this info!!

How do you think they would perform on 2s?

RC Qualifier
    2s will be fine, I'm not sure why HPI advertises their cars with this ESC as 3s capable. Both Vapor ESCs worked for a bit on 3s then after that they will smoke up after plugging in the 3s battery. They are a lower quality SV2 (even with a fan) IMO that is why they go for a cheap price on eBay. I ended up just returning it to castle and paid the extra $50 for a MMP upgrade vs a warranty repair.

If the truck is made to run on 3s then the esc should handle it. I'm surprised castle would put out an inferior product.

Do you think waterproofing is the problem?

RC Qualifier
    There are plenty of these topics in other forums. Castle built these from HPI's specs. All I'm saying is that buy it at your own risk, there are of us who had issues with Vapor ESC's. Keep your receipt and when it fails, you can always upgrade it for $50.