RC Enthusiast

Need help picking a new motor

So after 3 weeks of owning my pede the motor went out not sure why but I will be sending it in for warranty but I need a motor that will handle 3s better I'm a basher and run on grass and dirt. So after reading thur the forum's it seems the castle 2400 is a popular choice but is not really optimal for running 2s and the 3800 is not really optimal for running 3s right now I run 2s more than 3s only because I'm always breaking on 3s so is there a motor where I can get the best of both worlds price is not really an issue thanx for you time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    My 3800 is only run on 3s, but it is in my p2de. I recently got a tacon 3660 motor for my p4de in 3000kv, and have really enjoyed it so far. The only problem at the start was the 5mm shaft, I only had 1 pinion for it, heh. Anyone can drive it on 2s, i like running it on 3s, its rated to 4s, but i dont feel like breaking parts, heh.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    like you said 3800 for 2s, and 2400 for 3s.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    like you said 3800 for 2s, and 2400 for 3s.
    I think I get this. The 3800 will spin faster for the 2s voltage but get hotter. The 2400 will be as quick due to using 3s but run cooler. Shame all my batteries are 2s!!!

I take it a 4pole 3000-4000 motor will run cooler than the stock though?

Quote Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
    I think I get this. The 3800 will spin faster for the 2s voltage but get hotter. The 2400 will be as quick due to using 3s but run cooler. Shame all my batteries are 2s!!!

I take it a 4pole 3000-4000 motor will run cooler than the stock though?
    Yeah maybe. I only have my 3800 inmy 2wd and vxl in 4x4. In my 2wd it's pretty cool. Are you getting a new esc? Because you need a different esc to run these motors as their 4 pole
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Both are good motors. But the 2400 is a beast!!!

CC MMP 2400kv
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Both are good motors. But the 2400 is a beast!!!

CC MMP 2400kv
    DiggerPede what tires are those?
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    My buddy gave them to me. They are from his TA SC10. Figured i'd burn them up on the street. LOL Actually not a bad tire.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    Thanxs for the reply's sorry I left out some info yes I will be getting a new esc and I have the 4x4 pede. How much slower is 2s on the 2400 compared to the stock velineon? I guess right now I'm leaning towards the 2400 but I'm going to do some more homework before I buy I would still like some input of you guys running different combos than the castle I just wanna know all my options before I buy

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtp786 View Post
    So after 3 weeks of owning my pede the motor went out not sure why but I will be sending it in for warranty but I need a motor that will handle 3s better I'm a basher and run on grass and dirt. So after reading thur the forum's it seems the castle 2400 is a popular choice but is not really optimal for running 2s and the 3800 is not really optimal for running 3s right now I run 2s more than 3s only because I'm always breaking on 3s so is there a motor where I can get the best of both worlds price is not really an issue thanx for you time

The 2650 would be a good option for you, with a 17t pinion on 2s you'll get 30mph and on 3s mid 40's. I run RX8 Tekins and Mamba Monsters, the Tekin being sensored has very smooth throttle response but either is a good choice...

RC Enthusiast
    Thanx for the response Rastus how much chassis modifing did you have to do for the Rx8 and was that combo pretty much plug and play or do you have to do some programming

RC Qualifier
    Not to much modding with either with that pinion, minor dremel work. The Tekin is more labor intensive to install as all the wiring to the esc and motor has to be cut and soldered ( it's worth the effort though) As for the programming it's basic for both, set your voltage cutoffs and customize the other tweeks to suit you ( brake power, reverse speed etc.) then program the tx and your ready to go. The Hotwire (Tekin) module makes setup quicker as does the Castle link for the Mambas.

RC Qualifier

Last edited by Rastus; 08-31-2012 at 08:17 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Any video of that takin running?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tjtoed View Post
    Any video of that takin running?
    Sorry don't have video but you can imagine it's a stout runner, no lack of power and no heat issues at all...