RC Enthusiast

Best All Around Tires for 1/16 E-Revo

I just got an E-Revo a couple months ago and I love it. I still have my RC-10 that I bought 25 years ago which I took out of the attic to show my 6 and 9 year olds. Parts are hard to get for it so I bought the Merv after seeing a Traxxas Demo at Sears Point during the drag races. I have always wanted a 4wd so I bought one. I had been looking at the Full size Slash for a while, but I really like this mini, which is **** near the same size as my RC 10.

Anyway, I am a newb and don't have too much money to throw at this thing now but I would like to get some better tires. What should I get? I would like it to be more stable on the street so I can turn sharper without rolling, but I also want it to do well in the dirt. I was thinking about either the Pro-line Dirt Hawgs on Desperado wheels or the wheels and tires from the Summit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330782798346...84.m1423.l2648

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-7274...item2a21c28f41

I am thinking about getting a couple Summit's for the kids, but I would get them the brushed versions. I think they would last a lot longer at a slower speed!

Thanks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Dirt hawgs desperado combo would be great!
    the summit are pretty heavy
    Last edited by 50togo; 08-28-2012 at 10:33 AM.

RC Champion
    I've been having great luck with the stock tires for now on dirt, grass and the pavement. Once they are worn out I might be getting some Dirt Hawgs.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

I like the ProLine Dirt Hawg II tires on the Traxxas #7171 dish rims. The tires last a LONG LONG time and preform well on pavement
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    option 1, looks great for pavement
    option 2 is a better choice for on/off road

Just be aware when running bigger tires, you need to gear it lower to avoid heat issues.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, I figured the Summit's would be heavy. I guess those would just be good if I geared it down for the dirt and wanted to run over a little taller grass. That is why I was thinking about Summits for the kids, so they might be better in the dirt and grass. They don't need to go real fast, yet. The Dirt Hawgs look like they'll work well on the pavement and I am assuming that they'll do okay in the dirt since the word "dirt" is in their name. LOL! I was going to wait for the stockers to wear out, but I think I might just have to get these.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    option 1, looks great for pavement
    option 2 is a better choice for on/off road

Just be aware when running bigger tires, you need to gear it lower to avoid heat issues.
    I guess I just need to get both!

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I like the ProLine Dirt Hawg II tires on the Traxxas #7171 dish rims. The tires last a LONG LONG time and preform well on pavement

this is probably the best all around

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    hpi 2140 will give you much needed wider stance . they have some good offset are a little wide for the dirt hawgs but work fine. i have speed hawgs,foams, holeshot,summit and stock tires and these get the most use! i can bash in the mountains and then put my 3 cell batteries in and do a speed run. the front tires are hpi 2196 web rims not quite as much offset.

I had a set of Dirt Hawg II mounted on those HPI rims and it did work I just hated the way the tire looked on the rim with the bead being wider than the tread pattern it just looked too odd to me.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    best all around for the money.....stock

canyonn tires weigh alot and are larger....will flip much easier - but they look SWEET!!!
    Last edited by Redsawacs; 08-28-2012 at 01:41 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I had a set of Dirt Hawg II mounted on those HPI rims and it did work I just hated the way the tire looked on the rim with the bead being wider than the tread pattern it just looked too odd to me.
    Isn't dirt hawgs II 2.1" wide? Do you mean dirt hawgs I ?

RC Enthusiast
    Dirt Hawgs II look better for the dirt, but it looks like the Dirt Hawgs I would be better for the street? How the the Desperado wheel compare in offset between stock and the HPI 2140. I think the description claimed 1/2" wider on each side. That seems like it would help A LOT! What is the diameter of the Dirt Hawgs vs the stockers? Sorry, I guess I need to just read some literature to find the specs instead of waisting your time.

The price on those Dirt Hawgs and Desperado wheel combo is about the most I want to spend. I was tempted to just pick up some stock take offs because they seem to work pretty well and are cheap, but I would like to take advantage of handling improvements for a little more or more offroad capability.

I haven't even switched to Lipo's yet! I am running dual 1600mAh NiMH in parallel and haven't changed the gearing. It is pretty fast like that. I do want to run the stock battery in series with the extra stock battery I bought just to see now fast it can go but I haven't even tried that out yet. I don't want to burn it up though! I think the 3s would be fun to run and dual 2s in parallel would probably be a little faster than my dual NiMH setup and still be a safe setup. I want to get my kids a truck and then they can take my NiMH bats and I'll get a charger and switch over to Lipo's. It will be a while though.

RC Champion
    Keep in mind that offset wheels will put more strain on bearings, carriers and stub axles.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    On my truck with a tape measure its 10.5" from outside tire to tire.
    I think desperado's are good if you can get a good price but the hpi have a wider stance

Measure your stock wheels if you can I forgot how wide stock is

I use to roll my truck just by turning a little fast which can get old especially with the range of the radio. Now on a speed run at over 50 I can correct it if it goes off track and I am fine
    Last edited by 50togo; 08-28-2012 at 03:03 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by airmaxx23 View Post
    Keep in mind that offset wheels will put more strain on bearings, carriers and stub axles.
    we aren't talking strain of a wheel extenders its not that wide!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    we aren't talking strain of a wheel extenders its not that wide!
    I know, it will still put added stress on the parts, but not as much as extenders would.

Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Isn't dirt hawgs II 2.1" wide? Do you mean dirt hawgs I ?
    I went and looked at ProLine's site to see, I dont even see a Dirt Hawg II tire now, only a I and III. I did mean the Dirt Hawg I it is a 2.2" rear 1/10th scale Buggy tire
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Turnbuckle Jr.