RC Qualifier

Body Repair help

After maybe four battery packs thru new truck (VXL 4x4 Brushless) and the rear body mounts tore out and pulled the body clips right thru....I tried a repair using the white body washers and some contact adhesive but after it cures I can pull them right back off....and ideas?

Last edited by Traxxasnoob2012; 08-27-2012 at 05:20 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I use shoe goo and drywall tape. I just did it over the holes then went back and cut them out.

I found putting the drywall tape down first then covering with shoe goo worked better.

RC Qualifier
    And it's a pretty strong repair

Drywall tape and shoegoo are the best for super strong bodys
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    If you start to get splits like I have drill a small hole at either side of the crack. This will stop it cracking further.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxxasnoob2012 View Post
    And it's a pretty strong repair
    I have landed on the back and top several times now with no issues on my new shoe goo body. My first body the rear clips broke through the body the first day I jumped it.

RC Qualifier
    So is it a (do it before trouble) measure to prevent damage or can it correct the issue after it happens?

RC Qualifier
    Prevention is always better than cure.

RC Racer
    +2 for Shoe Goo and Dry Wall tape - our Stampede body broke in the exact same spot (the pins in the rear bed) and once I did the Shoe Goo and Dry Wall tape repair - it has never given us an issue again. Its the perfect combo - the glue dries hard, but the Dry Wall tape keeps it just flexible enough to give and bend during high impact landings / crashes.
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Champion
    The shoe goo method works very well. You can use it to make repair and prevent cracks from spredaing. But prevention is always key!
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC poster
    I used the same repair approach. However, I sprayed a layer of the aerosol rubber leak sealant all over the underbody after using the fibra tape and goo. I can assure you, the body will last a life-time. It is actually tough to even cut it intentionally...

Cheers

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=SuperTron74;5331390]I used the same repair approach. However, I sprayed a layer of the aerosol rubber leak sealant all over the underbody after using the fibra tape and goo. I can assure you, the body will last a life-time. It is actually tough to even cut it intentionally...

It won't last a lifetime if you use (and abuse) it. I run mine hard every day training the dog who enjoys chasing it. Lots of hard acceleration, jumping, flips, etc. I siliconed and screwed a piece of sheet metal into the bottome of the bed when it started cracking early in its life. It has now survived 9 months of this daily use, but it's getting toward the end now with cracks in just about every panel. I've repaired them with duct tape and shoe goo, but when it makes a hard hit trying to outhandle the dog, it re-cracks. At least at this point I think I've got my money's worth out of it.

RC Champion
    [QUOTE=ROB311952;5331726]
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTron74 View Post
    I used the same repair approach. However, I sprayed a layer of the aerosol rubber leak sealant all over the underbody after using the fibra tape and goo. I can assure you, the body will last a life-time. It is actually tough to even cut it intentionally...

It won't last a lifetime if you use (and abuse) it. I run mine hard every day training the dog who enjoys chasing it. Lots of hard acceleration, jumping, flips, etc. I siliconed and screwed a piece of sheet metal into the bottome of the bed when it started cracking early in its life. It has now survived 9 months of this daily use, but it's getting toward the end now with cracks in just about every panel. I've repaired them with duct tape and shoe goo, but when it makes a hard hit trying to outhandle the dog, it re-cracks. At least at this point I think I've got my money's worth out of it.
    Thats an Amen!!!

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    I put just shoegoo on my erbe body post holes with no tape. Those body were still pristine when I sold it. My erbe grew to over 12 lbs...

I see everyone put shoegoo and dw tape over the entire body. It is a waste. For a new body, put goo around the body holes. Check the body after every run. At the first sign of the slightest crack, clean the area, scuff the area with a scotch brite pad, put thy sticky drywall mesh down extending 1/2" from the crack, and goo over top. I hate seeing people waste their goo...

One of these days I will have to do a goo "how to" the right way.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

I had to step up to a MMP/2400 and later to a MMP/2650 due to the inceasring weight of the amount of shoe goo on the body.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Champion
    Hey Rag6 it may be a waste for you, but not for me. Your statement is a opinion. I play hard, very hard and so do my friends. So thats what we do when it comes to shoe goo and dry wall tape. I don't have time to do body repair after a crack. Preventative is the way to go in my eyes. I encourage you to do a video. I'd be happy to give you a shout out from my channel!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    I put just shoegoo on my erbe body post holes with no tape. Those body were still pristine when I sold it. My erbe grew to over 12 lbs...

I see everyone put shoegoo and dw tape over the entire body. It is a waste. For a new body, put goo around the body holes. Check the body after every run. At the first sign of the slightest crack, clean the area, scuff the area with a scotch brite pad, put thy sticky drywall mesh down extending 1/2" from the crack, and goo over top. I hate seeing people waste their goo...

One of these days I will have to do a goo "how to" the right way.
    It's not a waste when you've got an 80 lb. Doberman chasing you at 30 mph off road!

Quote Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
    It's not a waste when you've got an 80 lb. Doberman chasing you at 30 mph off road!
    Thats a different story lol.

My 12 lb 40mph revo played very hard and alot on pavement. The body was a custom painted and the painter cut too deep into a lot of places on the masking. the body would crack and separate at these points(in the beginning the untreated body came apart into 3 pieces from landing on the roof from 15-20 ft up.). A small amount of goo with a small amount tape was all that was needed to put it back together and stay that way. After about 8 fixes, there was only about 1/3 of a tube on the entire body. I doubt your putting any more abuse on your body than I was with such a heavy vehicle. I play hard too, work 70-80 hrs/ week, and had the extra 10 min to clean and repair the body. Yes it is my opinion, and yes it was a waste for me in such a high abuse situation. I am sure it is a waste for many others also. If your land shark guard dog is gonna bite through the body, then I can see where covering the entire body would be necessary though...

RC Champion
    Why should it matter if someone uses a whole tube of goo which costs about 5$ on thier rc body. Nonsense lol... People waste more money on bottled water.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 11-11-2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Content

I guess were just gonna have to agree to disagree. Its not that much extra weight or expense I guess. I just dont like to use more than my application needs. I used to put drywall tape around my body holes along with the goo, but if I just put a light coat of goo around them(again scuff the area with a scotch brite pad) and they last forever. I have found that not scuffing the paint can lead to a weak adhesion also.

EDIT: 1 more cool use for drywall tape: You can use it during painting to simulate carbon fiber.
    Last edited by rag6; 11-11-2012 at 10:03 PM.

RC Champion
    I don't have time with 3 kids and a wife between all thier sports activities to repair bodies during the week. I'd rather do preventative. I only do full body shoe goo on my bodies not thiers lol. I just buy them new ones lol...