RC Racer

tight suspension?

Hey guys,
    I just got my merv a week ago, and of course, being the basher i am, i broke a rear a arm. i replaced it with aftermarket ones, and i have a ride height problem... i have tried moving the suspension by itself with no shocks, and the arms are a little bit stiff... i have already tried putting a little bit of shock oil on the pins for the arms, made it a little better, but not good. any ideas? Thanks!

edit: also, my ride height lacks because my rear preload is pretty much maxed out... but it still sits low... help me! Thanks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Aftermarket carriers?
    maybe the pins are bent

RC Racer
    nope. yestreday when i put them in, the pins were fine, i checked them. im using plastic, aftermarket a arms just in the rear. and the a arms are kind of a tight fit around the chassis where it mounts, but still. should i shave a litle bit of plastic off? thanks!

RC Champion
    Does the merv use axle carriers and pillow balls? Maybe your pillow ball are too tight and not allowing the arm to travel up and down

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Little tight is better than too loose. Don't shave them. Are they rpm?

RC Racer
    nope, i tested the full suspension parts individually. the pillow balls are fine. its only when i move just the arms. bothe the top and bottom ones are stiff. only my aftermarket ones are stiff.

remove the a arms and try to put the pins in and see if you can move the pins just like if it was on the car. if its tight then the hole may be a little small, add some wd-40 to it and try it again, if that doesnt work then get a drill bit just the same size as pin and push it in try to go as straight as possible but this shouldnt be needed and should be resolved with the wd-40 to add a little lube or try 3-1 oil. i do this to allow free motion to the pins and a arms.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Champion
    It's the arms themselves rubbing where the forward part of the arm fits into the notch in the bulkhead. Just use an xacto or piece of sandpaper and scrape/sand down the forward part of the arm where the pin goes through on both sides (not the curved part, the flat ends where the hole goes through). Just remove a little bit then try the arm in the bulkhead and repeat until you get a free moving arm. The arm shouldn't have to be forced into place, it should slide in nice and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by mike-susieq1 View Post
    remove the a arms and try to put the pins in and see if you can move the pins just like if it was on the car. if its tight then the hole may be a little small, add some wd-40 to it and try it again, if that doesnt work then get a drill bit just the same size as pin and push it in try to go as straight as possible but this shouldnt be needed and should be resolved with the wd-40 to add a little lube or try 3-1 oil. i do this to allow free motion to the pins and a arms.
    Not to be picky but WD-40 is not a very good lubricant, it's actually meant to remove water from things. It does have a small bit of lubricant in it but it shouldn't be used as long term one.
    Last edited by airmaxx23; 08-27-2012 at 06:21 PM.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If an oil or lubricant will help wd40 will help if it doesn't help oil probably wont help. It is a light lubricant and if its dirty and gunked up it will clean it up. It's 15% mineral oil
    Last edited by 50togo; 08-27-2012 at 06:42 PM.

i've used wd-40 and worked good for this all the time and used it on my pede when i put rpm a arms on since it was a nitro and i was putting electric pede a arms on and was a tight fit had to sand the arms down a little but worked good, since i've picked up some 3-1 oil as well and that works good as well. i wipe excess off and let sit for a while before running.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    If an oil or lubricant will help wd40 will help if it doesn't help oil probably wont help. It is a light lubricant and if its dirty and gunked up it will clean it up. It's 15% mineral oil
    Being only 15% oil is why is really isn't a good long term lubricant for most things but it does work in a pinch. I personally wouldn't put oil or any lubricant on the parts, it's just going to attract more dirt and gunk which helps wears stuff out.

I actually use WD-40 and my air compressor to may parts look almost new again. Just mist the plastic with the WD-40 and spray it clear/dry with the air and they look great again. I avoid any pivot points with the WD-40 because it will attract dirt.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program....Hopefully he gets the tightness out of the suspension.
    Last edited by airmaxx23; 08-27-2012 at 07:30 PM.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Racer
    ok guys so i shaved down the parts mentioned above, and it fixed that. but its still a little stiff... has anybody put on bearings in the rockers? ill check those... thanks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes the bearing size is 4x7x2.5. Helps alot! Traxxas 5124

RC Racer
    would i have to mod the rockers? like drill em out? thanks for the part number!

nope they should fit without problem regarding the bearings. their is a bearing you can buy for the steering post as well, i got this and works good for the steering than using the bushing

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Once I had aluminum rockers the bearings would bind if tightened down too much. I went with ceramics and solved my problems!

RC Qualifier
    Once I had aluminum rockers the bearings would bind if tightened down too much. I went with ceramics and solved my problems!
    huh?...what?...can u link the product?

RC Champion
    That was more than likely an issue with the head on the screw being slightly too big around where it was catching the inner and outer races and binding them up.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Stock Traxxas bolt, Traxxas bearing. Didn't bind with stock rocker.I put aluminum rockers same bolt and same bearings it would bind.
    i tried tamiya 53586 4mm shims top and bottom nothing helped. I upgraded to Acer ceramic bearings and once I installed them I could crank the bolt tight and no bind at all
    Last edited by 50togo; 08-28-2012 at 09:17 AM.

RC Champion
    Stock Traxxas bolt, Traxxas bearing. Didn't bind with stock rocker.I put aluminum rockers same bolt and same bearings it would bind.
    i tried tamiya 53586 4mm shims top and bottom nothing helped. I upgraded to Acer ceramic bearings and once I installed them I could crank the bolt tight and no bind at all
    That's strange maybe the ceramic bearings are slightly thinner or something.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I was just glad they worked !