RC poster

Velineon 3500 Failures - How common are they in this model?

I've been running my Stampede 4x4 on 3S lipo and stock 11/54 gearing since I've owned it and recently had a motor failure during the last bashing session; the magnet detached from the motor shaft and spun freely.

I'm planning to replace it with another 3500, but I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing similar failures? I don't want to continue to replace the 3500 motors if they're not up to the task of powering the 4x4 Stampede.
    Last edited by Captain Loach; 08-27-2012 at 11:43 AM.

I think overall the 3500 is known as a good motor. Since there are many users, the chance that you hear about problems increases. There are quite some people that chose to upgrade it, but there are also a lot of satisfied users.
    Consider that a happy user has no reason to post here...

To my personal taste the 3500 just misses the power that I want in my Pede.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC poster
    Yeah I do like the 3500 motor as it is still going strong in my Rustler VXL and has been through a lot of speed runs. I was almost thinking the 3500 was undersized for the Stampede 4x4, but I guess that's what I was looking to hear from other owners and their experiences with motor longevity.

How much use did you get from it? I have a lot of experience with that motor but in 2wd trucks. No problems yet and I've been using them for years.

Do you check your motor temps daily?

Sent from Tapatalk version 3.14159265359
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    I did the same thing with one of my 3500 motors. Seperated and broke the magnet in a few pieces which in turn burned out my ESC as well. Traxxas replaced that with no issues, but I ended up selling the new 3500 motor and a replacement one I had for the Castle 2400 mmp combo <--- absolutely amazing combo by the way.

RC poster
    I probably had 10 packs or so through it before it finally gave out. I'm going to give the 3500 one more chance and possibly gear it slightly lower than stock. I wasn't checking temps before but will be now.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Loach View Post
    I probably had 10 packs or so through it before it finally gave out. I'm going to give the 3500 one more chance and possibly gear it slightly lower than stock. I wasn't checking temps before but will be now.
    I really think the Sl4sh demands a 550 sized motor. It's about the same size and weight as my 1/8 buggy and people would laugh if I dropped a 540 can motor in it.

Sent from Tapatalk version 3.14159265359
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    I think it is a little under size for the 4x4's. I will pretty much drive my truck with a 2s only.
    2x Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    velineon 3500 is good for 2s, or for 2wd vehichles, IMO it is no up to task on 4x4 trucks. No even mention all the vxl-3s esc issues.

RC Champion
    I ran mine on 2s for 2 years with stock gearing, maybe up or down a pinion or 2. Sure it would overheat at times. I beat it pretty good and destroyed a bearing inside here and there. But we also ran in water too. Most of the damage I see at our lhs I have to fix is usually operator error in my opinion but no one takes responsibility anymore lol...
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Racer
    :facepalm: oh man. I blew 3 vxl3s esc before I got in contact with traxxas who the told me that the stator on the motor blew and destroyed the escs. Apparently it over amped the esc and it poofed. I would get a castle motor, you won't have many issues with heat. The vxl I had was always thermaling and couldn't handle much.

New sig: Dr. Octogonapus
    BLARG!!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    the vxl is a beast in a 2wd it just doesnt have the torque to run 4wd , and 2s just isnt any fun for me if you really like 3s do a castle or tekin and or any 550 can you will be alot happier

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    velineon 3500 is good for 2s, or for 2wd vehichles, IMO it is no up to task on 4x4 trucks. No even mention all the vxl-3s esc issues.
    ^ So true.But it all depends on gearing and how you drive your truck.3S in this truck stock is a bomb waiting to happen.JMO
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

I ran mine hard for 2 years on 2s and 3s and it completely died last weekbut have ordered a 4 pole 550 3500kv can and a 120a esc for my pede and it should not over heat no where near as much
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dknuckles View Post
    I ran mine on 2s for 2 years with stock gearing, maybe up or down a pinion or 2. Sure it would overheat at times. I beat it pretty good and destroyed a bearing inside here and there. But we also ran in water too. Most of the damage I see at our lhs I have to fix is usually operator error in my opinion but no one takes responsibility anymore lol...
    Just noticed you're from the QC. I am as well. Do you know of any bashing meets in the area? The race tracks are cool but not really my thing at the moment.

RC Qualifier
    I've been running my Stampede 4x4 on 3S lipo and stock 11/54 gearing since I've owned it and recently had a motor failure during the last bashing session; the magnet detached from the motor shaft and spun freely.

I'm planning to replace it with another 3500, but I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing similar failures? I don't want to continue to replace the 3500 motors if they're not up to the task of powering the 4x4 Stampede.
    I got my 4X4 6 months ago. I run at least 1 pack a day and 2 on Sats and Suns. In the beginning, I burned up a couple of ESC's under warranty. Traxxas replaced both as a motor/ESC combo and gave me a fan which I installed and geared down to 9 at that time. I've since gone up to 10 and now 11 as long as I watch the temp. I just burned up a motor a couple of weeks ago so it lasted about 4 months. I also have a big heat sink on the motor case.
    Since I use it to exercise my dog, it's a very tough application: Constant starting and stopping (dirt, gravel, and some grass) and full bore all the time.
    He's a "big block Doberman" and hits 30 mph chasing it. He's actually outrun some deere here and getting muscled up from chasing the Stampede. I think there's probably a market niche for a vehicle tailored for exercising big dogs. Trenchers are a must as well as MIP's to keep ahead of Zeus and not blow things apart on a daily basis.

RC Champion
    Just noticed you're from the QC. I am as well. Do you know of any bashing meets in the area? The race tracks are cool but not really my thing at the moment.
    Yeah I know of lots of spots. If you have Face Book, I have a group called the Quad Cities Bashers and quite a few of us meet on sundays for sure and any other time we can get together.

BTW it's always great to run into a fellow Quad Citian on here!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dknuckles View Post
    Yeah I know of lots of spots. If you have Face Book, I have a group called the Quad Cities Bashers and quite a few of us meet on sundays for sure and any other time we can get together.

BTW it's always great to run into a fellow Quad Citian on here!
    Sweet - I'll check you guys out on FB.

RC poster
    I joined the FB group. I'll try to get together with you guys sometime soon. I'm in the middle of my Stampede 4x4 upgrades and still need a new motor.

RC Champion
    Np, there is always someone to help you out. Major Art & Hobby has the best prices in town.