Thread: Engine broken

RC Competitor

Engine broken

Alright, so yesterday I had issues with the engine popping glow plugs. Today I tried again, went well and stopped the car a few times to check the glow plug. They were whole and well. Took a few more minutes off running and the car suddenly die on me.

Upon removing the engine from my truck I discover this...

Now I wonder, what may have caused this? Not been driving the truck to lean and always had a good amount off smoke.

Edit: checked the needle settings on the carb once more. Hsn is 3 turns out and lsn 1 1/4 out

Skickat från min LT18i via Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Northleaf; 09-09-2012 at 06:17 AM.

Depending on the weather, those settings sound lean to me. Interested to see clear pictures of the sleeve and especially the piston.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Depending on the weather, those settings sound lean to me. Interested to see clear pictures of the sleeve and especially the piston.
    The weather. Pretty humid and around 16c out. Going to take them out so I can get pictures.

Edit: oh hey, look what we got here!

Don't have the tools to take out the sleeve so it will have to wait but its quite bad too.

Last edited by Northleaf; 09-09-2012 at 12:23 PM.

RC Competitor
    Worth to note is that the piston were stuck at top end stance. Find it weird since I followed the break in process described in the manual as close to the letter as I could. Not sure if it were my setting on the transmission who put the 2nd gear quite a lot earlier than factory setting.

RC Competitor
    What fuel are you using? It is trashed for sure. What oil content?

RC Champion
    What do u use to take out your sleeve? I just use a flat tip

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcrane77 View Post
    What fuel are you using? It is trashed for sure. What oil content?
    O-Donnell 20% nitro rtr-grade fuel, if im not wrong its 18% oil content.

@emaxx: never had to remove a sleeve or anything before so not entirely sure how to get it out, don't I have to remove the axle who goes out of the engine?

Edit: note to self: check exploded views more often.

Last edited by Northleaf; 09-09-2012 at 01:43 PM.

RC Champion
    Nice carnage my motor got to 375* today but it seems to still have a lot of compression and runs good

RC Competitor
    Thanks, now I got a good looking paperweight atleast the only thing that bother me is that the truck is barely 2 weeks old with careful maintenance and my other car which is 4-5yr old is still up and going after all this time with barely any maintenance.

Now, get a new TRX 3.3 engine or go for something else...
    Last edited by Northleaf; 09-09-2012 at 02:45 PM.

RC Champion
    Get a thin wooden or plastic stick (such as a paint brush or toothbrush) to push the sleeve out from the bottom up
    Matthew 7:7

RC Competitor
    I would say you had it leaned out enough, what temp did you get it up to?

RC Racer
    wow, kinda looks like mine in a way........look at these
    http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1347234066
    http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1347233746
    http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1347233785

so yea the hobby is fun but can be a lil on the expensive side.

just a quick question how do u post the pics with out having to post the link ???

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by the smuggler View Post
    wow, kinda looks like mine in a way........look at these
    http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1347234066
    http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1347233746
    http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1347233785

so yea the hobby is fun but can be a lil on the expensive side.

just a quick question how do u post the pics with out having to post the link ???
    Yepp though mine is a bit worse :-P

On idea how to put images without link, I use bbcode to put images.

RC Champion
    Use photobucket and copy the IMg code

FRom the dark brownish color and the pitting on the top of the piston.... Definitely lean....

You can have lean conditions, high temps AND smoke trails just by having your HSN too rich and your LSN too lean...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    FRom the dark brownish color and the pitting on the top of the piston.... Definitely lean....

You can have lean conditions, high temps AND smoke trails just by having your HSN too rich and your LSN too lean...
    Ah, good to know. Thanks for the info.

Lol, my LHS owner is willing to let me have a new engine tomorrow and pay for it when I get my salary. My girl hate him for some reason, got on idea why

Quote Originally Posted by Northleaf View Post
    Ah, good to know. Thanks for the info.

Lol, my LHS owner is willing to let me have a new engine tomorrow and pay for it when I get my salary. My girl hate him for some reason, got on idea why
    Here's something for your reading pleasure, it will definitely explain "Why" or "How" the carb works the way it does. As you can see the 2 needles are extremely dependent on each other....

Many refer it to being like a spicket on the side of a house with a garden hose sprayer on the end.

That should help you understand how you can be getting high temps but still smoke trails...

Here's something that you might find helpful, many have.... Combine it with your owners manual, can't find it? Go to the support section and download one...

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...70#post2451270

Added note: I worked on 2 stroke engines since my dad had our first 2 stroke boat, 70 hp Johnson, I had my own 2 stroke GoKart by 12 and Motorcycles as well..... Tuning these things is different than what I ever worked on before, I also have good 4 stroke knowledge as well. But I found most of what I knew needed to be shelved and a different approach....

Follow that tuning sticky and it will help... Many, who get their first nitro learn how to tune, well while they do that and the engine goes through some rough tuning for a while it can be damaged, I find often if you do not learn to tune quickly enough the damage will be already done by the time you do.. Then when you CAN start to perform the damaged internals then fail.... This leaves the operator scratching their heads wondering why this happened as the current temps were within specifications....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Competitor
    Wow now thats a lot of info. Been through most of it before but hopefully it will add some missing pieces to the puzzle in my head.

Like I said earlier tho, first engine I blow. Even looked through the engines on my thunder tiger (4yr old) and hsp car (6 months old) to have a look and they looked fine to my beginner eyes. Oh well, atleast I got a lesson. Wished the fee for the lesson were cheaper tho :P