RC poster

Slash 4x4 eats up spurs within in minutes

Like the title says. I searched and tried everything but it just eats them up like crazy. what is the most common problem for this happening ?

The bearing in you motor mount is destroyed. The second common thing is the bearing sits on a plastic piece on the slipper. If that bearing adapter melts you will eat spur gears.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC poster
    Thanks, I'm gonna replace that today. Hopefully everything works out

Cool keep us posted on your progress

Also make sure that the spur/slipper assembly is inserted fully into the bearing. It is possible to bolt everything together with the assembly 1 to 1.5 mm proud of the motor mount.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Cool keep us posted on your progress
    Thanks for the help! It was indeed the bearing, replaced it and it's working fine ..

Good! I am happy you found the problem! Do you have a plastic or aluminum bearing adapter? If you don't have aluminum yet, I highly suggest getting one. Remember, we are here to help

RC Racer
    i use Hot Racing Steel spur gear and pinion. I have had this setup for about a month now and no problems so far. There are no signs of use on the the teeth. They are very durable, I have been driving in alot of dirt. Others usually say that the steel spur gear is going to strip your pinion, but I find the Hot Racing ones perfect. The spur gear is $15 and the pinion is $8. Its a great upgrade. I use it with my FLM aluminum center diff. Its bulletproof!

RC poster
    Good! I am happy you found the problem! Do you have a plastic or aluminum bearing adapter? If you don't have aluminum yet, I highly suggest getting one. Remember, we are here to help
    I have an aluminum adapter, thanks for the great info. If there's any other things you might suggest I'm open to them.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ControlledWithRemote View Post
    i use Hot Racing Steel spur gear and pinion!
    I've given this a lot of thought, but I hear a lot of negative reviews about it so I'm not to sure .. How much louder is it?

RC Qualifier
    I also run Hot Racing Hardened Steel spur/pinion combo. It's great and very reliable.
    I have 54/19 on my Slash 4x4 MT, and run in dusty/sandy terrains without any issues since the steel combo can eat/grind all the small sands that get into it.
    Unlike the plactic 50T spur on my stampede 4x4 (note that Hot Racing don't have steel spur smaller than 54T), if sand gets into it, it's very much chew up, and the next thing you need to do is to open the assembly and replace the spur, which is annoying and time comsumming.

You can also go with the mod 1 spur/pinion combo, which is a little bit stronger, but only (not positive) comes with 5mm shaft.

Most users don't want to use the steel ones since they said that the plactic spur is a weak point for breaking, but I find my time is far more valuable than that. Make sure you change the bearing at the shaft output periodicly.
    Last edited by hskb; 08-29-2012 at 01:56 AM.

RC poster
    Great info hskb. I'll definitely look into all that.. I do have one more issue that I would like to resolve .. My truck seems to go in an out of 4wd. At times it's just running 2wd then goes back? Any suggestions I would appreciate very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Slashy View Post
    Great info hskb. I'll definitely look into all that.. I do have one more issue that I would like to resolve .. My truck seems to go in an out of 4wd. At times it's just running 2wd then goes back? Any suggestions I would appreciate very much!
    Make sure all of your wheel hex are good, also check the hex pins. Be sure to look at the splined parts that the driveshaft connects to. Those are the usual problems that stop the truck from having the 4wd work properly.

RC poster
    Thanks el sob.. I'll look into those two things ..

Keep us posted please! We are here to help! This is what this forum is all about. Welcome to the forum and the addiction

RC poster
    Thanks! I'll get working on that but in the mean time here's a couple of pictures of my newly painted body and rims. Used spray paint

Nice pics! I hope you know that spray paint may not last too long on the body. They have special paint for the bodies that stick better to the plastic. Looks good! I have yet to paint a body so I appreciate anyone who paints their own. Please keep us posted

RC poster
    Thanks, that body is old and I plan on getting a new one so I wasn't to worried about how good it came out .. More of a practice thing.

Do you have an update for us? Did you ever find out why your truck is going in and out of 4wd? What I listed are all of the reasons that I have ever lost 4wd in my trucks. One should be the reason.

RC poster
    Do you have an update for us? Did you ever find out why your truck is going in and out of 4wd? What I listed are all of the reasons that I have ever lost 4wd in my trucks. One should be the reason.
    I haven't had the chance to go and check, I've been busy with work and school but this weekend should be good for me ! Hopefully I get all 4 wheels running at all times

RC poster
    How can I tell if the wheel hex are bad? I'm new to all this. I'm sorry

When you take the wheel off the hex should have sharp pronounced corners. Of they look rounded at all you need to replace them. To look at the pins, pry the hex off of the axle. The pins will be a shiny little bar that goes through the axle.

Quote Originally Posted by Slashy View Post
    This is a great pic. I'd love to get speed and traction up and drive along that low wall. Have you ever tried it?

Sent from Tapatalk version 3.14159265359
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...