Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada

Tqi rx causing servo to twitch and heat up

So i decided to put a TQi Radio system and a Traxxas/Castle ET-3S & ET-2400 brushless system in my Stampede. Everything went nice and smooth as far as installation goes, and since both the radio and brushless system are from the same vehicle, i figured that little or no programming would be required...

As soon as i turned the system on to check the functions of the tx, i could hear the steering servo buzzing like it was trying to center itself but couldnt. I also needed to reverse the servo channel which was fairly straight forward using the programming tree in the manual. When i turned the wheel on the tx, the wheels of the truck would barely move and the servo would continue to buzz. After about 2 mins i felt the servo and it was getting very warm so i pulled the plug on the lipo.

Figuring it was the dreaded weak bec of the castle esc, i decided to test the servo using a 6v 1000mah power source and it worked flawlessly at only 1 amp. So next up i 86'd the TQi radio system and installed the good old reliable flysky gt3b system and the servo worked perfectly.

I put the TQi system back in to attempt to remedy this issue by resetting the endpoints of the tqi to defaults as well as setting the endpoints manually, to no avail. With the wheels off the ground, the wheels will turn all the way in both directions, but very slowly with a lot of twitching. Upon researching for solutions, ive come across a few instances of servos getting hot or burning out when using the TQi, so im hoping somebody will know what the problem is so i dont have to keep trying myself and risk burning up my $150 servo. My HR P2de XL is nearly twice the stock weight at 7.3lbs, so although i do have other servos kicking around, it would be pointless to get the TQi system to work with any other of my lower torque or plastic geared servos since they wouldnt last one run the way i drive.

For now i will be using the gt3b radio system, but would like to use the TQi because i was planning to install the speed and temp telemetry sensors, so any help would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 08-26-2012 at 03:02 AM.
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    From what I understand, there has been issues with Rx's... not sure if they have them fixed or not.
    It might be worth a call to Traxxas... or at least an email.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    I'm pretty sure i got it figured out, heres a link to the thread i posted my findings in:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8961681

Sent from Baldy's iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Champion
    hmm i read throught your thread there baldy and i seem to have a heat problem to but the servo is the tra 2080 and all it does is heat up (a heat that rivals a vxl 380 motor on 6 cell nimh)

but since then the servo has gone in for warenty along with another reciver 2218x and a transmitter 2238
    its something about the transmitter that doset like its throttle channel after hooking up to a tqi reciver
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo