RC Enthusiast

stampede 4x4 ex stream over heating promblem

what should i adjust to fix my problem i ran it for about two minutes on a 5000mah 7 hump pack and it died i go to look at it and the battery/motor/esc was supper hot

im also on w/e spur gear game with it and a 17t pinion gear and i have a 12t pinion gear if that matters

You are probably using a too heavy gearing causing motor and ESC getting hot. Try the 12T pinion and see if that improves. The NiMH pack might not be fit to the task and gets hot because of that.

Are you using a temp gun? If not, that might be a wise purchase to be sure about the exact temperatures. The motor may get hot to the touch, but still be in safe temp ranges (stay below 180F).
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Enthusiast
    the velineon was in a 2wd and it never got to hot then i put it in the 4x4 and i run it 2 mins and the motor esc are burning hottttt and it melted my battery wire connecter together the traxxas attatchment

RC Enthusiast
    Running in 2WD truck is easier for the motor to work. 4WD is times two the load. 17T pinion is for speed runs only.

RC Qualifier
    I think your confused. The 2wd has a stock 19t pinion but the 4wd has a 11t pinion stock. Your geared way to high.

You also need to bear in mind the 2wd used 48pitch gears and the 4wd uses 32pitch....

RC Enthusiast
    well the hobby guy said the 17t would make my battery last longer and go faster nothing about that but i have a 12t so i guess i should put that 1 in but when i called today they said that somthing might be slipping so if any one else has any opinions let me know please

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    There is no way you can run a 17t pinion without overheating the electronics, I would say 9-11t, second I would Try with a different batt.

RC Enthusiast
    well ill try my 12t cuz the nearst hobby shop is an hour away so not really that fun of a ride

RC Enthusiast
    btw it is brand new roller prebuilt all i had to do was get the reviever/remote i had a motor and esc so should i have to adjust the slipper clutch also i think it is i think its under the protective clear plastic on the driveshaft?

Quote Originally Posted by nmoney916 View Post
    the velineon was in a 2wd and it never got to hot then i put it in the 4x4 and i run it 2 mins and the motor esc are burning hottttt and it melted my battery wire connecter together the traxxas attatchment
    Wow that's hot. I'll bet you damaged the motor when it got that hot. Hope not though.

Sent from my old phone
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Enthusiast
    the motor still works luckly i put the 12t on it now so ill run it tomarow if it stops raining and ill see if thatdoesnt help guess ill ahave to mess with it more

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nmoney916 View Post
    what should i adjust to fix my problem i ran it for about two minutes on a 5000mah 7 hump pack and it died i go to look at it and the battery/motor/esc was supper hot

im also on w/e spur gear game with it and a 17t pinion gear and i have a 12t pinion gear if that matters
    It matters big time if you run it hard, RC-Fan is correct. I have 9, 10, 11, & 12 T pinions that I run with a 4200 Series 4 pack with Trenchers on dirt and gravel plus some grass. My favorite is the 10. Runs hard but much cooler. Make sure you have an ESC fan and a motor heat sink. I cut some holes in the body to line up the air stream with the heat sink fins.
    17 is not for serious off road use IMO. I only run that on speed runs on pavement.

RC Enthusiast
    alright thanks guys i believe its all good now i put the 12t in it adjusted my slipper clutch and rewired my damaged battery so it all runs good now ran 2 packs through it did fine didnt cut off like it did before. and rob or any one else that can answer whats a heat sink and for cutting holes would cutting with he sticker grill be enough or should i do something in the windshield

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
    I think your confused. The 2wd has a stock 19t pinion but the 4wd has a 11t pinion stock. Your geared way to high.

You also need to bear in mind the 2wd used 48pitch gears and the 4wd uses 32pitch....
    Don't confuse pitch (tooth cut profile) with number of teeth. The 4WD has a 54 tooth spur gear. You should run a lot cooler with an 11T pinion, and if you need to, there's always the 9T.