RC Enthusiast

Differential Locking

I am new to RC drag racing. I need a lil more info on locking the rear end with silly putty or JB weld. Do you still put in the oil when using the putty? JB weld? A PM or post would sure help. I do hope a locked diff. will be coming out for these cars. I really love mine even though I haven't launched with over 50% torque yet!

Bob

No you do not put any diff lube in the diff when you add silly putty..... The JB weld, you need to make sure you clean all the old diff lube from the spyders and the cup before using the JB weld of course, but there's no turning back with the JB Weld epoxy....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    What about this?

http://www.badhorsie.com/products/diff-lock-grease.html

I have it but never tried it, it's super sticky...
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    What about this?

http://www.badhorsie.com/products/diff-lock-grease.html

I have it but never tried it, it's super sticky...
    Not as thick as silly putty,,, it will stay locked for quite a few uns before it loosens up... Crawlers used to do this....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the info folks! If I go with Silly Putty, do I completely fill the diff. with it? I am building 2 diffs. so I can see what works best. There are only a few in my area doing the funny cars but I am trying to get as much " how to" info to make them more stable so hopefully more will show up for races.

Bob

RC Enthusiast
    I have been thinking about this, while yes it will help for sure. Dont real funny cars have differential`s ? I like the unpredictable launches, Watching the NHRA evry week, These pros never know whats going to happen and that seems to be partly what makes it so exciting ! Would we really want to see those cars make perfect run after run ?What do you think ?

RC Enthusiast
    1:1 Funny cars have a differential housing,but the gearing is a locker style. When I raced I used a locker rear end in a 9" Ford housing.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks, if thats whats used by the pros, thats what i want.Im understanding that the diff. does lock ? Is it by switch , button, or automatic when torque is applied ?

RC Enthusiast
    Gasser... you will still need some type of lube on the ring an pinion gears... the Silly putty has a tendancy pot break down in oil... so that why we went with the JB Weld.... Its realy a choice for each person...our racers here just prefer the JB...

sjones... if you do lock it in any method.. you will bew abble to apply more power on the launch and that will give you the go or no go launch the Big Funny Cars have...

Quote Originally Posted by sjones420 View Post
    I have been thinking about this, while yes it will help for sure. Dont real funny cars have differential`s ? I like the unpredictable launches, Watching the NHRA evry week, These pros never know whats going to happen and that seems to be partly what makes it so exciting ! Would we really want to see those cars make perfect run after run ?What do you think ?
    Locked or limited slip it's still a differential. +1 Ford 9's still rock.... I used them then went

Don't know if I should of brought up the silly putty stick or not, seems to have caused some confusion.... It's only to test if this to see the difference....

Me' I'd go locked as long as the rest of the driveline is going to take it. I see hop ups coming in the future....
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 08-27-2012 at 09:17 AM.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Enthusiast
    Funny cars or true drag cars use a spool that replaces the diff assembly so it locks both axles together

RC Enthusiast
    I don't think locking the diff in the 1/8th is going to do anything to improve performance unless you experience unloading

RC Enthusiast
    but try it and see what happens....... I'm sure at some point they will make a Locked Diff.... AfterMarket. My FC seems to hook fine... Locking the Diff will make it harder to turn and increase your turn radius when you make your return Runs

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    we built a big block vega wagon for the street with a 9". ran a spool ! you should of heard those rear tires when making a turn .even hopped a bit

RC poster
    After 5 years in RC airplanes, this is my first RC car. I have followed NHRA nitro racing for 30 years and am having a blast with this super realistic funny car and the DTS-1 system.

With a 2S battery and 49% power the car tracks totally straight for over 150 feet down the street. It is great to see such straight tracking.

My DTS-1 dragway is my 55 foot driveway; 22 feet for the run area and 33 feet for shutdown. (At 49% power I can get 29.5 MPH in the 22 feet.)

Any power setting over 52% causes the car to swerve to the left, including tipping the car over. And any braking percentage over 70% causes the car to swerve to the right, also tipping the car over. I am currently running braking at 60%, which just barely keeps me from overrunning the track.

Thus it looks like the right drive tire has all the traction both in acceleration and in braking, and thus tipping to car over in opposite directions.

Will the recommended JB-Weld in the differential, being recommended for clean acceleration, also work for the braking so I can dial the braking percentage over 60%?

And as one new to this sport, the exploded Motor Pod Assembly view does not tell me how I am going to open the differential to get the JB-Weld into it, and/or if I still need oil in the differential. Could you please give me a link to a how-to sheet or video.

Thanks for your help.
    Bob

RC Enthusiast
    Bob.. it should.... you still may have some issues once the weight transfers back ot the front suspension.. some..but we have found stiffenening up the front end helps with that......

RC Enthusiast
    you can lock the Diff with Silly Puddy........ and its not perm... I'm sure there will be a light weight aftermarket axle released soon ......... infact I can see an extreme light weight chassis that is designed for serious racing coming real soon