RC Champion

How waterproof is the Spartan?

How waterproof is everything in the Spartan? I assume the motor is submersible just like a 3500 and I know the RX box is almost completely water tight, but the ESC seems very open and susceptible to damage should any water get in the hull. Also what's the point of the vents in the back? It seems like a great place for water to come in, especially running in reverse.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, the vents really serve no purpose in my opinion. In facy I have them sealed with tape. As for the components, everything should be waterproofed, but even then you will need to let stuff dry out if it gets submerged completely.

RC poster
    I was wondereing about this as well. I know some water may get splashed around in there, especially on 6s with the stock jacket..but if you stuff the boat or capsize and take on lots of water where everything gets submereged do you call it a day? Or do you dump all the water out and finish draining your batteries? So far for me if I have a serious mishap where everything goes under I unplug as soon as possible and start the drying out process...

RC Qualifier
    The use of the vents is for pulling out the LID IMO, I put a splash guard in the rear to keep off the water going in it, here's a link
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/230816785496?...#ht_1873wt_922 cheap upgrade makes your rear looks good too!
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Champion
    I think the vents are for allowing the escape of hot air in an effort to keep temps down???? No other practical purpose. Maybe we should ask Traxxas?

Most of us have sealed off the vents to prevent water from entering at that point. Splash guards help as when slowing water will enter from the wake....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Racer
    The "vents" are not vents. In order for hot air to escape, cool air must be brought in- do we see any air inlets? Nope. I think the main purpose of them is to remove the hatch AND MAYBE to give the driver a fighting chance should anything become to hot and begin melting, you would likely see smoke coming from those "vents" before any place else.

Quote Originally Posted by orca44 View Post
    I think the vents are for allowing the escape of hot air in an effort to keep temps down???? No other practical purpose. Maybe we should ask Traxxas?

Most of us have sealed off the vents to prevent water from entering at that point. Splash guards help as when slowing water will enter from the wake....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIFTT IX MR View Post
    The "vents" are not vents. In order for hot air to escape, cool air must be brought in- do we see any air inlets? Nope. I think the main purpose of them is to remove the hatch AND MAYBE to give the driver a fighting chance should anything become to hot and begin melting, you would likely see smoke coming from those "vents" before any place else.
    I had never thought about the fact that there are no inlets, so you're right about not being vents. They still seem like a bad idea and will be plugged on mine.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Champion
    I feel the question should be asked if a Traxxas rep. could/should explain to us what the vents are for.....That way no more guessing

So Traxxas .... What ya say?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Racer
    Traxxas couldn't even give me the size specs on their bearings that come installed on the TRA5727X strut for the spartan, I highly doubt you will get an answer to your question, and even if you do, how likely is it that a different Traxxas rep. might say they are there for something different? This is actually very normal. I trust this forum more than I do calling Traxxas.
    Quote Originally Posted by orca44 View Post
    I feel the question should be asked if a Traxxas rep. could/should explain to us what the vents are for.....That way no more guessing

So Traxxas .... What ya say?

RC poster
    Well in that case I think their there to help drain the water out of your boat when it flips upside down..keep the boat upside down and let all the water out before flipping it over and douching everything again..

RC Competitor
    the inside of mine got flooded water covered the motor esc and lipos and ran with the water in it for 4-5 mins every thing was nice and cool, but i have fully stripped it down let dry and oiled and greesed every i'll turn on tomorrow see if everything work

RC Competitor
    I'm suprised nobody has made an upgrade hatch with vents, or custom fit some on. Could be a big help with all the heat buildup.

RC Qualifier
    Water cooling should provide all the cooling necessary.

Some of us have taken steps to seal off the existing vents at the back to attempt making the hatch easier to waterproof.

Hog

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post
    Water cooling should provide all the cooling necessary.

Some of us have taken steps to seal off the existing vents at the back to attempt making the hatch easier to waterproof.

Hog
    Well you use the word should, but I think in the Spartans case it doesn't. Don't these boats have major overheating problems?

RC Qualifier
    They do have a tendency to overheat on the stock electrics, however the system is designed to cool with water, so enhancing the water cooling would likely be more effective than introducing air cooling.

One of the advantages of water cooling is it allows for sealing the hull to help prevent swamping the boat if it flips.

Air cooling might help with cooling to some degree, but you would loose the advantage of being able to seal the hull if you open it up to allow air flow.

Hog

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post
    They do have a tendency to overheat on the stock electrics, however the system is designed to cool with water, so enhancing the water cooling would likely be more effective than introducing air cooling.

One of the advantages of water cooling is it allows for sealing the hull to help prevent swamping the boat if it flips.

Air cooling might help with cooling to some degree, but you would loose the advantage of being able to seal the hull if you open it up to allow air flow.

Hog
    Interesting. With the big gas boats, we know that if they flip they are going to fill, so thats why we put pool noodles that provide flotation, so your boat doesn't sink to the bottom.

RC Qualifier
    Many of us use pool noodles as well to provide extra flotation. In a bad flip the hatch can pop off.

Sealing the hull is a "bonus" with fast electric, not an absolute necesity, but sure is nice to be able to just right the boat and go again without worry.

hog

RC poster
    You know thats a really good point you made hog. Whenever mine flips and fills with water I usually unplug and call it a day. I like to let everything dry out good before running again. I think I might mess around with trying to seal it up water tight. It's already gotten to where the flip of doom is inevitable at some point throughout the run..

RC poster
    I put on the splash guard and used foam whether striping to seal up 90% of the vents. I left a little space on the outside edge so the water can drain out from the groove around the whole hatch. So far it hardly any water gets in now. Before the mods every time hit reverse water would flood in to my hull. I basically never use reveres unless I had no other choose. Now I can back up with no water entering my hull!

RC poster
    The vents serve no purpose, seal them up. Its my understanding when they changed the hull from the original they never bothered to change the hatch to match.