RC Enthusiast

Angry Tqi built like crap

Well guYs. My slash and tqi worked perfect, didn't drop or anything,then next day nothing at all. No led light or nothing. So I called traxxas they said I've had it for 3 months nothing they can do. I've seen where people been having problems with firmware etc. I checked I getting power up through it just not working. Power all the way to circuit board. Solder joints and they way circuit board looks like a 3 year old put it together. I think the top of line controller from traxxas should last longer than 3 months especially when firmware keeps crashing. This has me so mad I canceled my summit order now I'm thinking about selling off all my traxxas products if it's all just gonna be slapped together crap. I don't want to but I just went through making all my cars run off this controller. And I need help.

Never had a problem with it. Do you have a old 2.4 style remote? I think you can use that
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

Quote Originally Posted by Kmmac1705 View Post
    This has me so mad I canceled my summit order now I'm thinking about selling off all my traxxas products if it's all just gonna be slapped together crap. .

That'll show 'em!

It's a shame that your radio stopped working, but it is a RTR radio. You can't really expect a whole lot out of it. I always take them out and sell or give them away when I buy a Traxxas kit. But look at it this way. Now you have a good reason to go out and buy a good radio.

RC Champion
    I had an issue with my TQI radio just like this. I found the conection from the battery pack to the controller was loose. I worked the pins and connector a bit to fix the issue. I was just a bad connection but it drove me NUTS!!

Check your battery connection to the radio. I had to dismantle mine to solidify the wire clip holder in the handle.

RC Enthusiast
    Noob question.... What is a "Good Radio" and how is it different from the stock radio?

Traxxas Employee
    Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your TQi Radio. As you already know the TQi is one of the most advanced radio's that is currently available in the RC market. In a situation like yours, I would recommend calling support again, explain the age of the radio, the situation surrounding what made it stop working, and request a return merchandise authorization so that you can send the radio in to have it checked out. What you are experiencing is definitely not normal, and we want to make sure that the issue gets taken care of for you. You can call us at 1-888-traxxas.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterm4 View Post
    . As you already know the TQi is one of the most advanced radio's that is currently available in the RC market.
    Perhaps in the world of RTR radios, or maybe because it has the ability to work with an ipod or whatever it works with. But the TQi radio is still very primitive compared to something like a 4pks radio or even a 3pm . Don't take this as bashing, but the Traxxas radios are not only a pain to adjust, but the whole transmitter and it's functions scream "RTR radio". But I guess it should because that's what it is, a very technologically advanced RTR radio. Put a high-end transmitter in your hand and see if you can honestly say there isn't a huge difference (considering some of those radios cost more than a complete RTR kit, I guess it should be expected).

However, it is good to see the famous Traxxas CS come through again. It's great of you to reach out and help the guy. My only issue is that he already called and was given the cold shoulder, so to speak. Judging by how he titled the thread though, I would venture to say that the Traxxas arm didn't reach out to him too far because of his approach? But then again, I've dealt with Traxxas on many occasions over the past 20 years and most of the time they are eager to help, but every once in a great while you get the guy who seems to not really like his job and you get the feeling that he's irritated that he even has to listen to your problems. One day I'm gonna write his name down so I can ask to be transferred if he answers the phone.

RC Champion
    I've owned some higher end radios from Futaba and Sprektrum, and I prefer the TQi with iPod attached. Granted the TQi alone is nothing special, but with the iPod/iPhone it's just awesome. I couldn't be happier with it.

To the OP, definitely try calling Traxxas again. As harry697 said there seems to one guy that's just not at all helpful there. I can never remember his name but I've gotten him a few times. I usually call again and someone else will be more than happy to help me.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

You can get a futaba 3pl for less than $100 and it is fully adjustable with an led screen. That's as high-end as I go. Lol. I have 3 of them now along with a couple extra receivers on other trucks... Those things are sweet.

I also have a couple tqi's and I've found they work well with the velineon esc but not so well with other brand esc's.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Enthusiast
    Well traxxas called me back today and gave me rma number to send it in. So far so good it still has me frustrated about whole thing. I've only ran truck about 8 times then this. Some people just don't have time to run the crap out of all their cars everyday or weekend to find manufacturers defects. I gonna send it in and see what they say. Thanks guys for all your responses. And I have to say before it messed up the 8 times I got to use it I loved remote that's y changed all over. I've put my am radios back to my other cars now till I get it str8.

I've never had a problem with my tqi's

Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    That'll show 'em!

It's a shame that your radio stopped working, but it is a RTR radio. You can't really expect a whole lot out of it. I always take them out and sell or give them away when I buy a Traxxas kit. But look at it this way. Now you have a good reason to go out and buy a good radio.
    I disagree Harry. I expect an RTR radio to last, it is supposed to be simplistic, yet durable; a radio that a newbie or kid can punish a little bit until they are ready to graduate a more complicated radio. Just think about the newbie who's first experience in the world of RC was a broken Traxxas TQi, that guy will either shy away from Traxxas products in the future, or give up the hobby all together.

This is JMHO, I have a TQ2.4 that I have been using a couple of years with no issues, this is the radio I give to the kids I let drive my trucks because I know it can take punishment. I a little leary of handing my DX3R over to a kid and risk the screen getting broke. I have been thinking about using the Traxxas Power-Up program to trade this radio in on a 4 channel TQi, I would really like to have all of the cool features that are unlocked with my iPhone, but I have read too many problems with it, so I am putting it off until the number of complaints about the TQi drop.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    I disagree Harry. I expect an RTR radio to last, it is supposed to be simplistic, yet durable; a radio that a newbie or kid can punish a little bit until they are ready to graduate a more complicated radio. Just think about the newbie who's first experience in the world of RC was a broken Traxxas TQi, that guy will either shy away from Traxxas products in the future, or give up the hobby all together.

This is JMHO, I have a TQ2.4 that I have been using a couple of years with no issues, this is the radio I give to the kids I let drive my trucks because I know it can take punishment. I a little leary of handing my DX3R over to a kid and risk the screen getting broke. I have been thinking about using the Traxxas Power-Up program to trade this radio in on a 4 channel TQi, I would really like to have all of the cool features that are unlocked with my iPhone, but I have read too many problems with it, so I am putting it off until the number of complaints about the TQi drop.

You're right. Even if it's not the most refined equipment, it should at least keep ticking. All the ones that the locals are running do the job just fine and actually have been known to take some abuse. I guess I've always just seen the TQ's and TQi's as the part that came with the truck, just in case you didn't already have one.

A friend of mine just bought a couple/few new Traxxas RTR's and they came with the TQi. I've seen his son (I think he's around 10 years old and brand new to the hobby) leave his truck on the edge of the straight away with the radio sitting on the roof on more than one occasion. Also seen the same truck and radio get slammed by another truck at full speed because leaving your truck and radio on an active race track isn't a great idea. Radio still works fine.

My main issue with the TQ radios, ever since the original AM version, isn't them not working. Actually, I've never had one stop working altogether. But every one I've seen to date has little issues on the precision end. The trims seem to constantly wander. Not a lot, but enough to where you need to adjust the steering pretty much every time you use it. Sometimes the throttle doesn't return exactly right and either the truck will go instantly into reverse when trying to brake, or worst case, the esc blinks red when you turn it on. A few of the guys with the TQi radio are also having the "reversed steering" issue from time to time. Sometimes it just because the trim knob gets bumped while transporting, but the throttle trim and steering reverse can only be adjusted by entering the menu settings, so it's also a radio issue at times Not the worst thing in the world, but surely annoying.

Those little bugs aren't exclusive to the raxxas radios either. I have an Associated xp3-ss that does the same thing (wandering trims).

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Yeh, that 1 bad apple needs to go(lets hope its only 1 guy). I have had 2 trying experiences with cs, and about 10 good calls. Overall trx cs is hard to beat.
    I like the trx radios for bashing, but for racing, it is so much simpler to have a tx with built in screen. I keep both my trx and other brand radios around, and have the rx's velcro'd in for quick switches.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I have many Traxxas Radios. A handful of TQ2.4s and 2-TQi's. I've had very good luck so far with them. All the adjustments are simple via the iDevice. Like said above you have to remember these need to be durable day to day use between many age groups. So fare i've used the voltage tap, & temp sensor. I'm still waiting on the availablity of the GPS module & expander unit then i'll be set.

I've used a couple of other radios. One being a budget GT3B, ehhh ok for what it costs$. The other a Spektrum DX3S, awesome radio if it only had enough range to have fun with the truck. One of these days i'll push the trigger and get a Futaba 3PK or 3PL.

I still like my Traxxas radio though, dont get me wrong.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

When a company innovates, it's products are not perfect the first time around. Look at the Summit diffs, it took Traxxas a little bit to get them reliable, but Traxxas supported its customers, worked through its issues, and now produces a diff locking system that is not found on any other RC. The TQi is following the same process and will the same successful outcome. It would be nice if these issues were solved before the product was released, there is just so much testing you can do before it is released out into the wild and see what will really happen to it.

JMHO...
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

That's a good point greatscott, my traxxas am radios were bulletproof for years and years.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    I had a servo reversing issue with one of my tq 2.4 link transmitters, put it aside for 2 months, threw it in another truck just recently and the problem went away. Scratching my head on that one, but am happy I have another link tx available in my pile...

I guess the moral of the thread is: The variable of human attitude and knowledge can make even the best oiled machine squeak and rattle at times.

To the OP: Dont judge Traxxas customer support by that 1 experience. Especially dont judge all their products on a factory defective item. Re-order your summit. Dont sell off your Traxxas stuff.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    I had the exact same problem with my 2.4ghz. Luckily it was barely two weeks new and with receipt in hand I got another one free. Sorry for you.
    Traxxas Slash 2wd and Thunder Tiger Tomahawk Vx

RC Enthusiast
    I sent it in. They said they fixed it and are sending it back. Way to go traxxas for standing up.i have to agree with the one apple deal. I've never had a problem with traxxas until this incidence. I'm gonna keep my traxxas cars. I'll get my tqi back tomorrow and see if it works. They didn't say what it was though. Thanks guys for commenting. And I will still buy traxxas in future cause I do like there products.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmmac1705 View Post
    I sent it in. They said they fixed it and are sending it back. Way to go traxxas for standing up.i have to agree with the one apple deal. I've never had a problem with traxxas until this incidence. I'm gonna keep my traxxas cars. I'll get my tqi back tomorrow and see if it works. They didn't say what it was though. Thanks guys for commenting. And I will still buy traxxas in future cause I do like there products.
    +1 on this ^^^

Sent from Tapatalk version 3.14159265359