RC Competitor

Reviving old 2wd slash w/ brushless combo, which one?

Hello, I have been out of the hobby for a few years (new child=no time). Now I want to bring my old slash back to form, just to bash with, no racing. I have a 2S 5600mAH Lipo but my stock XL-5 is toast. Which brushless combo would be good for backyard bashing? I want fast, reliable, water resistant, under $175, and able to handle 3S Lipos if I so choose down the road. I was considering either a 1/10 scale 550 sized motor (somewhere between 3000-4400kV's), or maybe 1/8 scale... $$$, but maybe more reliable? I don't want anything I have to ship from China. Also, I'm not trying to start a flamewar but I would prefer not to be Velineon either, its just that I have lost a few XL5's and don't want another Traxxas ESC... Best bang for the buck? Castle, Tekin, Novak, others? Thanks, believe it or not I did look through old threads for help first! I will worry about upgrading drivetrain later, after I break something

Quote Originally Posted by lemansfanatic View Post
    Hello, I have been out of the hobby for a few years (new child=no time). Now I want to bring my old slash back to form, just to bash with, no racing. I have a 2S 5600mAH Lipo but my stock XL-5 is toast. Which brushless combo would be good for backyard bashing? I want fast, reliable, water resistant, under $175, and able to handle 3S Lipos if I so choose down the road. I was considering either a 1/10 scale 550 sized motor (somewhere between 3000-4400kV's), or maybe 1/8 scale... $$$, but maybe more reliable? I don't want anything I have to ship from China. Also, I'm not trying to start a flamewar but I would prefer not to be Velineon either, its just that I have lost a few XL5's and don't want another Traxxas ESC... Best bang for the buck? Castle, Tekin, Novak, others? Thanks, believe it or not I did look through old threads for help first! I will worry about upgrading drivetrain later, after I break something
    The best one is believe it or not the vxl. Idk about your LHS but mine sells them for 169.99. Maybe the viper copperhead stuff because I think it may be waterproof but idk the price either. If you can live with no water I recommend the castle sct race pro. It come with a mmp esc and 3800kv motor. A cheaper alternative is the castle sidewinder sct witch is the same thing just sidewinder esc witch is not so 3s capable
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    If you dont need full water-proof, just water resistant, I'd go with a castle mmp esc with a HPI(made by castle) Vektor motor. It is 4000kv. That thing should fly.
    Land of the free?

RC Competitor
    Looking at this, anything here strike you as odd, or is this a good deal?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CASTLE-CREAT...item4604f4457e

DO NOT BUY THAT!!!! Lol that's the old style motor that castle used to make. Those are 2 pole motors and they run hotter and don't have as much torque as current castle 4 pole moters. I suggest the castle sct race pro that comes with the mamba max pro sct edition and castle 3800kv 4 pole motor. The way you know it's old style is its a cm-36. Look on castle website and all the ones the sell for 1/10th scale are 4-pole motors

RC Competitor
    Thats great advice, thanks to everyone who replied. Just looking for the best deal on a MMP combo right now. Waterproof be darned, I'll just paint the board with liquid electrical tape. Anyone know where to look for a deal right now?

if you waterproof it like that it will void your warrenty. best deal i know is direct from castle for 179.99. thats basically the price of the mmp. i bought it from one of my lhs stores and i bought it for 249.99 even though i was aware of the cheaper price from castle. it all depends on what works for you

RC Competitor
    Hmm, I am on Castles homepage and dont see that deal. The MMP are $149.00 without motor, and $269.00 for combos.
    http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...a_max_pro.html

You want the castle sct race pro that is a sct edition mmp and 3800kv motor

RC Competitor
    rats, out of stock on the SCT edition!

RC Qualifier
    Bang for the buck, the Toro SC120 combo. $99 from Hobby Hot, with a program card. 120a speedo, 550 4-pole, 5 amp/6v BEC.Runs nice and cool, and has too much power for racing. It's a fantastic combo if you want to run 2s. I can't imagine it with 3s. I'm absolutely sold on it, and my next combo will be a Toro sensored system.

If you don't want to ship from China, CK Hobby has 'em for $139. It's worth a lot more. The system is one of the hot setups for open 4wd SCT.
    Last edited by Blaster75; 09-05-2012 at 10:09 AM.