RC Enthusiast

3906 Motor cover - Need info on how to with new clutch setup

Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a used 3906. I immediately put a 1/8 scale hobbywing setup in it. First run I melted the spur gear. The clutch plates got so hot they turned purple. After this i purchased an entire tranny from the new maxx. Ended up swapping the clutch system from the new setup to my old (using old tranny box with new clutch inside). Had to modify my tranny a bit but finally got it working and converted to a single speed.

Truck runs awesome now, just got done running a 6s through it with not a single issue. My only problem is the stock gear cover does not fit since the spur sticks out further on the new setup. Anyone have any ideas on how to get the gears covered up?

I have the single motor plate but it doesn't fit the old tranny setup. I'm picking up the single motor tranny cover tomorrow to see if I can somehow mod that to fit. Any idea's are greatly appreciated.

RC Champion
    So the older 3906 gear cover won't fit the new style spur and slipper huh?

I'm only coming up with getting a new motor plate and matching gear cover. You'd have to mod the new plate to fit the 3906 tranny.

I'm speculating here, not really certain that will work.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by M n M View Post
    So the older 3906 gear cover won't fit the new style spur and slipper huh?

I'm only coming up with getting a new motor plate and matching gear cover. You'd have to mod the new plate to fit the 3906 tranny.

I'm speculating here, not really certain that will work.
    Thanks for the response. I've got the single motor plate from the newer emaxx, it doesn't fit on the 3906 tranny case. The mounts are totally different. I'm just wondering if I can somehow mod the new single plate cover to fit the old dual motor plate setup. I'm picking it up tonight after work, will update once I receive it.

Any help is appreciated!

RC Qualifier
    How about drilling a hole in the 3906 cover to clear the newer input shaft and clutch assembly? Don't know if it would work since the newer shaft sticks out quit a bit more than the stock 3906 setup.

RC Champion
    My guess is you have a lost cause there. Ive been running without a gear cover and with the chassis ground through under the tranny for 3 months now, with no issues.

I also have aluminum slipper pads, which are much more duable than the graphite ones, and much less affected by outside elements like dirt and water.
    Doublethink: 2+2=4 while 2+2=0