Thread: Wheel problems

RC Competitor

Wheel problems

Well I put a mamba 2400 550 motor in about to 2 weeks ago and I have already rounded 2 sets of rear rims. Any of you have the same problem? Any solutions for it? I know there's a 17mm wheel hex kit for the MIPs but my lhs said there in the process of re-makin those to like they just did with the cvd keyed axles.

Maybe losen the slipper a little. Maybe you can tighten the wheel nuts a little more.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Competitor
    My slipper was actually really loose when I checked it. At first I thought I blew the diff since these wheels were only 2 days old. But nope they were rounded out again. An I have them as tight as possible without it being to tight and binding up or crushing the bearings lol

Weird enough I only almost stripped a wheel when I didn't tighten a nut well enough. And I use a MMP/2650. And that is an awful torquey monster.
    Which wheels are you using? The stock ones?

RC Competitor
    No the ones I had on we're proline desperados

RC Racer
    Search the thread i made called , Check out my upgrade MM2650. Theres plenty of info on there about the problems i had with mine.
    4Pede ,MM-2650,Protrac, Power strokes,3s 8200= fun

RC Qualifier
    You're not going to crush the bearings because the axle pin will keep the hex nut in the right clearance position against the wheel. I'm using aluminum hexes, blue loctite on the wheel nuts, and crank them down. My rear Desperados show a little more wear (on the wheel hex) than the front so I just rotated them. I've got MIPs on the rear and stock shafts on the front. I'd love to find some 14 mm aluminum hex nuts with the right axle bore for the Stampede so I could run Revolvers, but so far no luck on that.

RC Qualifier
    I agree with Rob. I got the 2400 and was certain I had to spend a hundred bucks to go 17mm. Use a 1/4 inch drive 7mm socket and crank em on with locktight. I'm still doing fine on 4s. Don't quite drive like I stole it though.

I am also using Desperado wheels (with Trenchers). My other wheels are JConcepts Rulux and those stay fine too.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
    You're not going to crush the bearings because the axle pin will keep the hex nut in the right clearance position against the wheel. I'm using aluminum hexes, blue loctite on the wheel nuts, and crank them down. My rear Desperados show a little more wear (on the wheel hex) than the front so I just rotated them. I've got MIPs on the rear and stock shafts on the front. I'd love to find some 14 mm aluminum hex nuts with the right axle bore for the Stampede so I could run Revolvers, but so far no luck on that.
    I have aluminum hexs with MIP Cvds to. So I don't have a pin. They are keyed and you tightin a set screw. I bought a new set and hopefully they will stay alright this time then. I'll locktite them and make them as tight as possible

It's possible you have the rounded hexes which may be the issue. Mip has since fixed the problem, but i know some people who had to send theirs back.
    Associated rc8TE, rc8.2E, B4.2, Ofna LX2E, Slash

Quote Originally Posted by vxlrocket View Post
    It's possible you have the rounded hexes which may be the issue. Mip has since fixed the problem, but i know some people who had to send theirs back.
    +1. I didn't think of that because I didn't understand that you already were using MIPs. If they are the rounded ones, you can contact MIP. They will send the new version for only shiping costs.

RC Competitor
    No I don't have the rounded hexes. I did. I already sent them back and got my new ones now

Quote Originally Posted by tfleig17 View Post
    No I don't have the rounded hexes. I did. I already sent them back and got my new ones now
    you know, i had the same problem. no matter how tight i got the nut or even if i used red thread lock, i was stripping wheels. I finally switched to flm17mm adapters with strc hexes. that worked. i started running buggy wheels. if you wanna keep the truck look, you can run 3.2 17mm wheels with 2.8 tires.
    here's the thread:http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ires-made-easy.

RC Competitor
    Wow that's an awesome write up for how to do that. If these rims give out after just a few packs again I'll be ordering 17mm for my MIPs. Thanks man

Quote Originally Posted by vxlrocket View Post
    you know, i had the same problem. no matter how tight i got the nut or even if i used red thread lock, i was stripping wheels. I finally switched to flm17mm adapters with strc hexes. that worked. i started running buggy wheels. if you wanna keep the truck look, you can run 3.2 17mm wheels with 2.8 tires.
    here's the thread:http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ires-made-easy.
    Are the 4x4 STRC 17mm adapters the same as the 2wd version? I got my Sl4sh yesterday and the axles look the same as my Sl2sh.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Are the 4x4 STRC 17mm adapters the same as the 2wd version? I got my Sl4sh yesterday and the axles look the same as my Sl2sh.
    I'm not sure, I don't have a 2wd slash to compare it to.

Yay. Mr Murphy came along.
    Just stripped a Desperado wheel 10 minutes ago. Might have something to do with the hex of my MIP that came lose.

Finally ordered a 1/16 wrench myself to have my collection complete and not needing to borrow one. MIP should have used 1.5mm grub screws instead of 1/16"

RC Competitor
    Does anyone know if there's aluminum wheels that you can buy for a stampede? That aren't 100 dollars I should say
    Last edited by tfleig17; 08-26-2012 at 06:31 PM.

RC Competitor
    Or would these http://www.rcboca.com/rpm-revolver-3...set-blk-2.html work if I buy the 17mm adapter kit for the slash from mip work?

Here's the link for the adapters I'm talking about http://miponline.com/cgi-bin/sc/ss_m...5d774ba60173f3
    Last edited by tfleig17; 08-26-2012 at 08:02 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I did some research on that and the only one I found was Integy. They are $100 and up, and I'm sure they're a lot heavier too. Not quite ready to go that route yet. I'm going to try 3.2 Revolvers with 17 mm hex adapters first.

RC Competitor
    Yeah that's what I just posted. You going with the standard offset 3.2? Or the stablemaxx offset?

RC Qualifier

Quote Originally Posted by tfleig17 View Post
    Yeah that's what I just posted. You going with the standard offset 3.2? Or the stablemaxx offset?
    You want the Stablemaxx offset.

RC Competitor
    Dang that looks pretty good. Looks like that's the way I'm going for now. Imnot ganna spend 150 on one set of aluminum wheels when I can spend 60 for adapters and 4 revolvers

RC Qualifier
    Standard. I believe your turning circle widens with the Stablemax wheels, and I want to be able to turn sharp when I want to.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
    Standard. I believe your turning circle widens with the Stablemax wheels, and I want to be able to turn sharp when I want to.
    No you want the Stablemaxx, the standard will make it to narrow and the wheels will hit the body when turning, there's no lack of turning with the Pede 4x4 and if for some odd reason you need more pull the wheel off the radio and slightly mod the stop to allow more travel.

RC Racer
    This is my fix that I plan on using, since i have the keyed MIP's

http://miponline.com/store/mip10115.html

17mm Hex that goes directly on the keyed stub axle of the CVD. That with some truggy 17mm wheels.