RC poster

Slash slipper and or gear problems

Well, this is my mistake really. I tightened my clutch, backed the nut off a bit, like it says in the manual. My truck worked great for a minute, then it made a whine noise and stopped going, engine still turns wheels won't. My plastic gear on the drive shaft is tore up. I tried to remesh it with the metal gear comming off the motor, but when I hit the accelerator the gears still don't mesh.

So was this a problem with the clutch being to tight or a bad gear mesh? I'd imagine it was the clutch 'cuz I was digging trenches in the dirt before it died. I ordered a new plastic gear, should I be ordering new clutch parts as well. And can somebody point me to a good tutorial on how to adjust the clutch AND check to see if it's not too tight before I destroy another gear...

Thanks.

RC Champion
    Just bad mesh. You should set the slipper so it slips only under extremely heavy loads, such as hammering full throttle from a stand-still on pavement.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Competitor
    I run my clutch about 3/8 back from fully compressed, seems to be a good spot for me. Still have the snap and power off the line, but no stripped gears yet. Have twisted and snapped cvd's, but with 3s those plastic one are only good for so long.... As far as mesh i just roll the truck forward to get it close, you can feel the bind if its too tight. Back it off a touch till its smooth. You can double check with a piece of paper, but once you have the feel for that spot its pretty easy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Do you have the metal bearing adapter? If you so not it is possible for it to melt, causing the slipper to be loose and won't mesh with the pinion gear. Take a look, can't hurt
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Champion
    Having just smoked a stock tranny after adding a 1410 3800kv motor combo and 3s lipo I feel your pain. Adjusting the slipper clutch is all about what surface you are running on. Tighter on the pavement and looser on dirt. The object is to maintain traction on the surface you wish to run on. Too loose and you will burn up the clutch, too tight and you wont be able to control it. If you want wheelies and just bashing may as well just super glue it and be done. Im adjusting mine so that I maintian traction and control and where it slips no more than a second from a dead stop full throttle launch. The spur gear looks like a bad mesh issue. I use the paper method. Just put a piece of paper, I perfer the thickness of a store receipt, in between the pinion and spur and crank it tight. When done just rotate the spur to get the paper out.