Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    102

    How to seperate Spartan Hull?

    Does anyone have any suggesting on separating the cap deck of the Spartan from the hull? I want to try a make a mold to fiberglass.

    Any suggestions are appreciated!

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    962
    I have taken a couple apart.

    Along both sides they tend to separate fairly easily once you get them started. a thin screwdriver or knife to ease the seam apart then pressing in on the hull while working the deck seam and it should separate fairly easily.

    The seam at the stern is another matter, it has always been better bonded, and was I unsuccessful both times separating the rear seam without some damage to the deck section.

    hog

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    547
    They should make a Fiberglass Hull on the spartan, so that it will be more stable and prone from tearing apart.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

  4. #4
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    1,178
    Have you considered making one out of carbon fiber?
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

  5. #5
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    102
    That is my plan actually.

    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTuesdays View Post
    Have you considered making one out of carbon fiber?

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    6,856
    lol cause one guy here saying his come apart by itself then your asking how to. but yeah do what hog says just make sure you clean the glue off good. carbon fiber would be nice better yet make a mold on the hull too.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |_________________ |

  7. #7
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    1,178
    If you're sucessful in making a carbon fiber hull, you would be making some SERIOUS cash.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

  8. #8
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    102
    Is there anything that can dissolve the glue holding the deck to hull?
    I like your idea, Hog, but I don't want damage. What kind of damage did you experience? Any pics?

    What about heating the glue with a blow dryer or heat gun set on low? I did something similar to take apart my headlight housings on my car and it came right apart with one good pull.
    Last edited by SHIFTT IX MR; 08-24-2012 at 04:13 PM.

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    962
    Don't know that you could dissolve the adhesive without damaging the plastic.

    I just split another hull a couple minutes ago. This is one that I damaged in a crash early in the season.

    The deck was already starting to separate at the area of impact, so i had a starting point.

    Using the sdame procedure I used before I easily separated the deck without damage along both sides.

    I then used a thin sharp knife and started it up under the seam on the stern, then slid it under the seam the length of the stern.

    The deck separated with no damage to deck or hull (exception being the damage already caused by the collision). This hull did not appear to be as well bonded at the stern as the first two I split.

    hog

  10. #10
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    102
    Hog: You're giving me hope brotha! Now time to buy some hulls! Hog: do you have any hulls you might be willing to part with? Damaged or not, i need both top and bottom. I can easily smooth out any damage with fiberglass work. Then make my mold for a final fiberglass hull and cap deck, which will then allow me lay some CF down in the negative I created with the fiberglass molds. My only concern is that I have to apply CF perfectly smooth, no air, no bubbles, so chances are i will have to sub contract a business to vacuum seal the CF to the negative mold so that each crevice and curve is perfectly covered. This should be interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post
    Don't know that you could dissolve the adhesive without damaging the plastic.

    I just split another hull a couple minutes ago. This is one that I damaged in a crash early in the season.

    The deck was already starting to separate at the area of impact, so i had a starting point.

    Using the sdame procedure I used before I easily separated the deck without damage along both sides.

    I then used a thin sharp knife and started it up under the seam on the stern, then slid it under the seam the length of the stern.

    The deck separated with no damage to deck or hull (exception being the damage already caused by the collision). This hull did not appear to be as well bonded at the stern as the first two I split.

    hog

  11. #11
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    1,178
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIFTT IX MR View Post
    Hog: You're giving me hope brotha! Now time to buy some hulls! Hog: do you have any hulls you might be willing to part with? Damaged or not, i need both top and bottom. I can easily smooth out any damage with fiberglass work. Then make my mold for a final fiberglass hull and cap deck, which will then allow me lay some CF down in the negative I created with the fiberglass molds. My only concern is that I have to apply CF perfectly smooth, no air, no bubbles, so chances are i will have to sub contract a business to vacuum seal the CF to the negative mold so that each crevice and curve is perfectly covered. This should be interesting.
    Have you looked into vacuum bagging yourself? I've looked into it about a month ago and got a price of roughly 300 to get enough material to make a hull. That included everything like mold release, all 3 layers of vacuum bagging material, sealing tape, vacuum pump and accessories, CF, resin and everything else you could think of. The vacuum bagging process is simple, but if this is a one and done custom thing, it's better not to invest in all of the vacuum gear.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    962
    Unfortunately I have discarded all my damaged hulls. I separated them, then cut then into small enough pieces to fit in the garbage.

    If I had known someone wanted them, they could have had them for the shipping.

    hog

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    457
    Any more progress on this? I'm doing it once the weather turns cold. I'm going to start with some fiberglass hulls because fiberglass is way cheaper... then move to CF if I have the money and it needs to be lighter.

  14. #14
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    28
    Made one out of CF at school, have yet to run it, but looks sweet, ill post some pics soon

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by Zlgreen21 View Post
    Made one out of CF at school, have yet to run it, but looks sweet, ill post some pics soon
    You made a carbon fiber hul?

  16. #16
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    580
    Quote Originally Posted by F-R Racing View Post
    You made a carbon fiber hul?
    Well F-R, maybe he might be you to it... Just kidding with y'all!

  17. #17
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    El Cajon Ca
    Posts
    1,804
    We would really like to see that carbon fiber hull....Pictures pretty please!!!!!
    "enjoy your ride"

    Dennis

  18. #18
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    28
    The water soaked into the ends of the fiber and caused the top piece to separate at high speed, have to look into maybe clear coating everything or finding something to cover the ends of the fibers. Going to make a Fiberglass one next should be little bit heavy after paint/gel coat, but might help keep it in the water,

  19. #19
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by Zlgreen21 View Post
    The water soaked into the ends of the fiber and caused the top piece to separate at high speed, have to look into maybe clear coating everything or finding something to cover the ends of the fibers. Going to make a Fiberglass one next should be little bit heavy after paint/gel coat, but might help keep it in the water,
    Delamination. One of the few ways to destroy a composite hull. If you don't mind, shoot me an e-mail at FAndRRacing@gmail.com with some details. I'm in the early stages of making a fiberglass hull and I'd like to know what worked and what didn't for you.

  20. #20
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Waxhaw, NC
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post
    Unfortunately I have discarded all my damaged hulls. I separated them, then cut then into small enough pieces to fit in the garbage.

    If I had known someone wanted them, they could have had them for the shipping.

    hog
    im always intrested in stuff like that. if you have anything that your just going to chuck, PM me and id love to pay for the shipping!

  21. #21
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Citrus County, Florida
    Posts
    9
    I wrecked mine into a concrete wall at 55mph, unintentionally of course, and she split right open. Lol. I was running down a canal, and she came airborne and spun around and hit on the back right corner. Not a fun day for me.

  22. #22
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    962
    An unfortunate event.

    I've crashed a couple myself, but not high speed into a concrete wall

    hog

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •