Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
    Any special care instructions I should know about this motor before first time use and general maintenance?
    Use whatever break-in method you prefer.

After cleaning your Summit be sure to oil the bearing/bushings.

You might want to spray a little paint on the can, or at least be sure to dry it after wet runs or cleaning. The can will rust, it will still work fine just not as pretty
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Enthusiast
    14.4V DeWalt motor ... I can just purchase it and replace my motor without any modification?... is it that much better than the titan 775?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by leblanc74@hotmail.com View Post
    14.4V DeWalt motor ... I can just purchase it and replace my motor without any modification?... is it that much better than the titan 775?
    The Dewalt is not a "drop in" replacement, but it is not a huge undertaking either. As I do not know your level of experience, you need to be the judge. See the link below, it's one of many here mapping out a Dewalt install. Give it a good read and maybe search out another one or two. That should give you an idea of what is involved in the install.

For what a lot of us Summiteers do, the Dewalt is an inexpensive replacement/upgrade. It is rebuildable and retains the waterproof aspect of the Summit.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...Dewalt+install

Good luck
    Last edited by Mayberry Kid; 09-10-2012 at 08:23 AM.
    The Kid

The dewalt is one tough motor
    It can be geared up for a bit more speed
    Easier to clean and maintain.
    Mine has been worked hard for quite a while,gotta be a year or more.no signs of fading away,actually no issues whatsoever.just keeps on keeping on

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    I'm considering the Dewalt 14.4V mod too and was also looking at the KD conversion. Do all single conversion kits come with a "dual" motor mount?
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry Kid View Post
    Use whatever break-in method you prefer.

After cleaning your Summit be sure to oil the bearing/bushings.

You might want to spray a little paint on the can, or at least be sure to dry it after wet runs or cleaning. The can will rust, it will still work fine just not as pretty
    Thanks for the info mate
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep800 View Post
    I'm considering the Dewalt 14.4V mod too and was also looking at the KD conversion. Do all single conversion kits come with a "dual" motor mount?
    All the ones I have seen do.

I was going to go that route as well... until I read quite a few "it was ok" reviews.
    Since the motor is so stinking cheap, I will just do it myself.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep800 View Post
    The KD design mounts the motor(s) higher thus affecting the COG. Modifying the stock motor mount keeps the Dewalt closer to the ground. Also if you choose to change the spur as well as pinion, you can get the motor closer to the centerline of the Summit. You get to keep the stock spur gear/slipper cover too, if you just modify the stock mount

It also looks "cleaner" IMHO
    Last edited by Mayberry Kid; 09-10-2012 at 04:18 PM.
    The Kid

Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry Kid View Post
    The Dewalt is not a "drop in" replacement, but it is not a huge undertaking either. As I do not know your level of experience, you need to be the judge. See the link below, it's one of many here mapping out a Dewalt install. Give it a good read and maybe search out another one or two. That should give you an idea of what is involved in the install.

For what a lot of us Summiteers do, the Dewalt is an inexpensive replacement/upgrade. It is rebuildable and retains the waterproof aspect of the Summit.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...Dewalt+install

Good luck
    IMO, this is the definitive how-to:
    My own Dewalt 14.4 Instal. LOTS OF PICS

This is one of the conversions I did:

Another:
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-10-2012 at 10:03 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    Im going for the Dewalt conversion also, and would like to have some ideas for Pinion and Spurs? can I keep the stock or would I benefit from changeing them?

This is my first mod and im very new in RC :-)

I ran 17/68 for a couple months...I really liked it...I am going for 15/68 now...will see how this goes.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC poster
    Hi craig

I saw someone go like 14 on pinion? How was speed on it with 17 and what is the difference inspeed wit 15?

RC Competitor
    If the Dewalt motor has bearings instead of bushes, is it possible to open the motor can to replace the bearings?

Two reasons I ask, firstly, it's nice to be able to replace bearings and secondly, people have mentioned the motor can rusts so it would be nice to paint it inside and out.
    Jayson
    Summit BL HW SC8 2000kV
    E-Revo MM2 2200kV

Quote Originally Posted by Jays200 View Post
    If the Dewalt motor has bearings instead of bushes, is it possible to open the motor can to replace the bearings?

Two reasons I ask, firstly, it's nice to be able to replace bearings and secondly, people have mentioned the motor can rusts so it would be nice to paint it inside and out.
    Not that I can see.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

From RC Crawler. Replacing the DeWalts bushings with bearings

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxx...g-problem.html

QOUTE FROM THE POSTER:

I've read right here on this forum (and others..) that the 14.4v DeWalt motor has a bearing supported armature. Well, it doesn't.

I dug into mine after getting tired of a screetching sound I could only eliminate by spraying a little WD-40 into the back of my motor. A little later, it would start screetching again though. Thinking it was just a bad motor, I was surprised when a couple weekends ago, my brother's DeWalt powered Summit was making the same sound. It was time to find the problem.

After removingthe brushes and prying off the end cap, I was surprised to see that the back of the armature is supported by a bronze bushing, not a bearing. And yup, it had a sloppy fit on the armature. Luckily, it measures 8mm x 5mm x 5mm. So I replaced it with two 8mm x 5mm x 2.5mm bearings, and problem solved. The motor is now silent, and turns very smoothly. If you don't have a local hobby store with bearings, you can order Traxxas part # TRA5114 and get a package of two bearings that will work.

Hopefully this helps anyone with the same screetching DeWalt motor problem.
    Last edited by noir 522; 11-24-2012 at 08:13 AM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Competitor
    noir 522,

Thanks for that reply. Did you happen to notice if it's also possible to replace the pinion end bush with a bearing too? Also, are the magnets glued in or easily removeable to paint the inside of the can.
    Jayson
    Summit BL HW SC8 2000kV
    E-Revo MM2 2200kV

Quote Originally Posted by Ulrich Barslev View Post
    Hi craig

I saw someone go like 14 on pinion? How was speed on it with 17 and what is the difference inspeed wit 15?
    I haven't had a chance to test it yet...might get a gap this weekend...I'll let you know.
    Rock n Rolla !