Thread: Motor life.

RC Qualifier

Motor life.

I don't know squat about these brushless deals. Do these things ever deteriorate or need any kind of maintenance? Mine seems to run just as good as the day it was new. Just wondering if there is anything I can do to pick it up a little.

RC Qualifier
    This is one of the advantages to brushless. With brushed motors, the commutators would wear and require regular passes on a lathe, while brushes were consumed and required replacement. And because there was physical wear, the bearings would get really dirty. All this caused inefficiency and decreased performance over time.

With brushless, the only physical contact points is at the bearings; as long as it is clean, performance remains pretty constant over time. At the outset people would rebuild their brushless motors for cleaning inside the segments and oiling the bearings, but it seems most people these days just run their motors without any attention paid.

RC Champion
    Normally unless you overheat them(220f+)they should be good for years. The Xo-1 on the other hand is a high performance rc. IMO used in the wrong way the big 34 tooth pinion could strain the magnets and degrade them over time.

Some sizes of castle/traxxas motors have rebuild kits available. No kits are made for the 1717 Xo-1 motor.

RC Qualifier
    Ok. That's kinda what I thought but I didn't know if there was something I could do to pick this thing up.
    Last edited by TheStenchOfSpeed; 08-21-2012 at 04:09 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BL-Bob View Post
    Normally unless you overheat them(220f+)they should be good for years. The Xo-1 on the other hand is a high performance rc. IMO used in the wrong way the big 34 tooth pinion could strain the magnets and degrade them over time.

Some sizes of castle/traxxas motors have rebuild kits available. No kits are made for the 1717 Xo-1 motor.
    I don't think you need to worry about the magnets degrading. I would be more concerned with too much current draw through the wiring causing it to over heat and possibly burn up.
    Jeremy