RC Enthusiast

Wheels, won't spin. Just had motor updated, possible tranny?

I just purchased the traxxas brushless system and had the local hobby shop install everything. Got it home and ran it in the backyard for maybe 10 minutes and it stopped driving. Took the spur cover and everything but the wheels were spinning. The wheels were actually turning very slowly. When the shop turned the car back to me he said it sounded like the tranny might be dry but shouldn't pose a problem. I both tightened and loosened the slipper which made the spur turn faster or slower but no effect on the speed the wheels turned, which was hardly anything.
    If I need to rebuild the tranny is there anything I should do to upgade given that it's now a brushless. Originally this was a 5805 model. I've replaced tires to badlands and the gearing is 18x90 now. Also installed big bore shocks after breaking a couple of shock rods in the past.
    Thanks.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    If that's the original Slash, and it's old enough, one of the tranny gears may be plastic. They updated to all metal gears, but originally one of them was plastic. Once I updated my Slash to BL, I stripped that plastic gear. Replace with TRX metal, and you'll be good. If I was going that far, I'd scrap the tranny housing for the new RPM one, too. But that's just me.
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    What exactly is spinning when you pull the throttle?
    You said everything but the wheels were spinning. If both axles were spinning along, with the top shaft, but not the wheels then both of your axle hex pins fell out or broke at the same time. Very unlikely. Take a closer look...

If the pinion, spur and top shaft are all spinning(with the wheels on the ground), but the axles are not, you broke the top shaft pin inside the trans, or the steel idler gear(middle gear inside the gearbox) stripped. I think this is most likely the problem. If the pinion, and spur are spinning and top shaft is not spinning, then the other top shaft pin, the clutch pin outside of the gearbox failed or fell out. It is a very easy fix if you can pull the trans out and disassemble it. If the hobby shop is not charging you for labor, and if they dont mind, you can let them do it, but if they are charging you labor, it will be a good idea to break it open yourself as the magnum 272 transmission is a pretty simple machine to work on.
    Last edited by rag6; 01-13-2013 at 10:01 PM.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

None of the slash gears were ever plastic. They switched to the full metal gears before the slash was released. It was the xl5 pede (and maybe rusty?)that started with the plastic and switched to metal before the slash was released.

Oh, 1 other cause could be the steel idler failed. That has been happening from time to time lately... If so, busting into the gearbox will be required. I will edit my post above to reflect this.

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    None of the slash gears were ever plastic. They switched to the full metal gears before the slash was released. It was the xl5 pede (and maybe rusty?)that started with the plastic and switched to metal before the slash was released.
    +1. I bought my first Slash right when they hit the shelves at the LHS. Don't remember the model number, but it was the original Slash with TQ AM radion, non-LVD XL-5, no battery or charger of any sort included and it had all metal gears.

From what the OP describes, I would put money on the roll pin being sheared that holds the top trans gear in place. Only other thing that makes sense is the slipper is toast. If that were the case, the pinion and spur would turn, but the slipper shaft wouldn't. May want to take a look at that too.

my knowledge is far less than the people above,but you said when you tightened and loosened your slipper the spur turned faster or slower,could you have broken one or more of the slipper pads?Causing the internal slipper shaft gear pin to sheer?
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Enthusiast
    the axles spin very slowly turning the wheels very slowly unless I put it down then just high revs with no wheel spin. I do believe I had the slipper way to loose when I first ran it. Would that make one issue more likely than another? If I break apart the tranny will the problem most likely be completely evident? Should I just use stock replacement parts?
    thanks for the help.
    I have very little mechanical experience. I saw completely put together trannys on ebay for $35 and proline trannys prebuilt for $89. Is the proline worth it if I mostly just run circles in my back yard?

RC Champion
    Pro line isn't worth it. Just tear it open and see what's wrong. You could probably pull it off and open it up and your lhs will look at it for you, it should be pretty obvious though.

Take a look at the exploded view for it.
    http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...080416_0_0.pdf

Samsung Epic - Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Kitteh298; 01-14-2013 at 12:41 AM.
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    [IMG]http://www.facebook.com/dunelandballroom*******hl#!/photo.php?fbid=10151336975333187&set=a.42901570818 6.199360.787903186&type=1&theater[/IMG]

what does this mean? besides not good! thanks! Should I continue to take apart tranny?

took it apart! everything is metal and in good shape. I'll replace the casing and get back to bashing.
    thanks for all the help.
    Last edited by accoberg; 01-14-2013 at 02:17 AM.

RC Champion
    Your image URL has some word that Traxxas doesn't like. Try http://tinyurl.com

RC Enthusiast
    http://tinyurl.com/bpbjnk6

thanks for the heads up

RC Champion
    Wow. What caused it?

RC Enthusiast
    I'm guessing when the slipper clutch was too loose the pin fell out and dug through it. Rookie mistake! I changed the spur and didn't really pull the whole clutch off or atleast reseat it properly.

+1 on the pro line,have two,of six transmissions,they imo are junk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitteh298 View Post
    Pro line isn't worth it. Just tear it open and see what's wrong. You could probably pull it off and open it up and your lhs will look at it for you, it should be pretty obvious though.

Take a look at the exploded view for it.
    http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...080416_0_0.pdf

RC Racer
    If you are getting a new trans then the RPM is proving very popular and the initial reactions and feedback seem to be very positive - well constructed, bit noisy but certainly help the temps with the metal plate the toe angle options are popular especially if you want to run non-standard arms with no toe in.

[IMG][/IMG]Something like this?

/
    Quote Originally Posted by tachikoma1373 View Post
    If you are getting a new trans then the RPM is proving very popular and the initial reactions and feedback seem to be very positive - well constructed, bit noisy but certainly help the temps with the metal plate the toe angle options are popular especially if you want to run non-standard arms with no toe in.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Something like this?
    nope nothing like that what so ever and I am not jealous in any way because I have to wait a couple more weeks to get mine here in the UK.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    +1. I bought my first Slash right when they hit the shelves at the LHS. Don't remember the model number, but it was the original Slash with TQ AM radion, non-LVD XL-5, no battery or charger of any sort included and it had all metal gears.

From what the OP describes, I would put money on the roll pin being sheared that holds the top trans gear in place. Only other thing that makes sense is the slipper is toast. If that were the case, the pinion and spur would turn, but the slipper shaft wouldn't. May want to take a look at that too.
    This is in one of my old build threads....

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...s-now-complete!!

Well, that didn't take long! My truck is now in pieces!! The good thing is that it wasn't my normal shock problem. I was doing my normal launching and I guess I was chancing things because it is an extremely windy day here with strong gusts. Anyways, my truck was at its peak heighth in the air and sure enough, a HUGE gust caught my truck. I wish I had it on video, because it did a complete backflip and spun around backwards and landed on the wheels. I thought it was cool until I went to move the truck. BAD sounds coming from the tranny! Strange that it didn't take out the spur gear; maybe the 32 pitch transferred the shock internally. I have the rear end of the truck off and I'll split the cases later. I also discovered that I lost two screws out of the RPM bumper and two others were coming loose. I also found the chassis - to - tranny screws seem to have stripped out. Not good. Gotta come up with a fix for that. My bashing days always end up like this.....

This is a planetary gear out of my Slash that I bought out of the first batch that we got in at the shop where I worked.

Anyways, the point is moot, as that was not his problem. Not trying to start anything; just know what I found. Maybe I got a REALLY early Slash? I remember when I found that, I was dumbfounded, because I also thought it was supposed to be all metal. Sorry OP, not trying to hijack your thread. Glad you figured out your problem. Happy Bashing!!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by MAXXXMASHER; 01-14-2013 at 09:48 AM.
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

You;ll love it,I live in upper Mi so i cant really tell the temp difference,but I'm sure it will be big.
    Somehow I got lucky,walked into my lhs in December,and there they were,even thou their release date was January 7,they had a blue one ,and a black.I grabbed the blue one and ordered the green one.
    Now you walk in on Monday there's five of them,come back Wednesday and there gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by tachikoma1373 View Post
    nope nothing like that what so ever and I am not jealous in any way because I have to wait a couple more weeks to get mine here in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXXMASHER View Post

This is a planetary gear out of my Slash that I bought out of the first batch that we got in at the shop where I worked.
    Wow! You got a raw deal on that one! Somebody on the assembly line messed up with that diff. I remember even seeing the advertisements before the Slash was released as having all steel gears. Aside from that, I've never seen a vehicle come with steel top and idler gear, but not the diff.

They must have ran out of the steel diff gears that Friday afternoon, and grabbed some plastic ones to finish the day so that an assembly line stoppage did not cut into karaoke time...