Thread: Esc noise

RC Qualifier

Esc noise

Sometimes after letting off the throttle the stock ESC in my VXL makes a clicking noise....It seems to be working fine otherwise...Should I be concerned?

RC Qualifier
    mine doesnt do that!what kinda batteries r u running?!
    RACE IT, BREAK IT, FIX IT, REPEAT!

My first thought is the noise is coming from some where other than the ESC. I had a similar issue (clicking on deceleration and turning) when I had a crack in the front bulkhead.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    It.s more like a humming sound....Using the stock 7 cell hump..seems to get louder when adjusting steering trim....then goes away....Called Traxxas,,,they said it was the servo and it's normal...not sure I buy that
    Last edited by Traxxasnoob2012; 08-20-2012 at 11:58 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Are the stock digital servos always kinda noisy?

RC Qualifier
    This is a video of the noise I am concerned about...Made louder by adjusting steering trim...I assume it's the servo

http://s468.photobucket.com/albums/r...-12-40_181.mp4

RC Qualifier
    Yeah that has to be the servo, mine doesn't sound like that but I wouldn't worry about it to much.

maybe just recalibrate it, use the manual for instructions, back pages.
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Qualifier
    Recalibrated...still doing it....Took the servo saver off and re centered...still doing it....doesn't say much about the quality of this $400+ truck that has been run 3 times..

RC Racer
    That's definitely the servo, not the ESC.

Traxxas servos aren't known for being awesome.

Get a replacement Hi-Tec or Tower Hobbies branded servo if it really bothers you.

RC poster
    Did you ever figure out what this noise is? Mine is doing the same. 1 day old and my servo was trashed. Traxxas was good enough to send another quickly. I replaced it and in about 2 minutes the new servo was stripped. It's like it's always trying to turn the servo.

Quote Originally Posted by Traxxasnoob2012 View Post
    Recalibrated...still doing it....Took the servo saver off and re centered...still doing it....doesn't say much about the quality of this $400+ truck that has been run 3 times..

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bobrico View Post
    Did you ever figure out what this noise is? Mine is doing the same. 1 day old and my servo was trashed. Traxxas was good enough to send another quickly. I replaced it and in about 2 minutes the new servo was stripped. It's like it's always trying to turn the servo.
    You better call them back and find out the root cause of the problem. I'm still using the original servo for 10 months now and it still works fine. I run it every day and twice on weekend days, mostly full bore on/off around a short oval track with my Doberman in hot pursuit. I'm also running tractor tires on dirt on 3.2 wheels with 17 mm hexes, so it does get a workout and never has been a problem.