Thread: Broken Hearted

RC Qualifier

Broken Hearted

Well, I took my boat out today, and it blew up. Yes, my heart is broke, but I got to say...it went out with style. Lately, I have been running two 3s lipo batteries packs in it, and decided I would do the mod you guys have been telling me about. I installed a two port rudder, added a water outlet, a 62mm cooling jacket, and the necessary tubing. I tested it by blowing in each port, and by putting in the pool to check for leaks. All checked good. Today, when I put it in the water I went in a "8" patteren to be able to check to see if both ports would continuously work during my first run. Everything looked good. It was running for about 15 minutes, and then it stoped. I gave it a shot of throttle, it moved about two feet, then it blew up by catching on fire. I took it out of the water, and temp tested my batteries 120 degrees, motor 132 degrees, and the ESC was fried.

When I got it home, my lube looked good, my tubes looked good, but my motor was hard to turn with my fingers. When I took my motor apart the magnet had shattered. I tested the thermistor with a heat gun, and no mater how long I let it cook it tested open. I checked the continuity from both sides of the resistor to the plug pins & that all looked good. So, I don't know if the motor just happen to take a poop, cuz it was only at 132 degrees. Or, it was a hole lot hoter, the thermistor didn't work, it pooped, and then cooled down by the time I went after it.

I would like to get another one, cuz I'm a sucker for man toys, but I have to mull it over in my mind. My wife wants me to (she wears the skirts in the family), and got me this one. Anyway, that's my story, and I'm going to stick to it.

RC Qualifier
    Sorry to hear about your outing. I dont think its a total loss for you since both the motor and ESC should be covered by Castle and Traxxas. I would call Castle first, they will send you a replacement ESC and motor. Very good customer service.

RC Qualifier
    It wouldn't do me any good my friend. My whole boat is cooked. All that's salvageable is the hardware. I ain't worried about it, though. It could be worse...wait a minute. No it couldn't! (lol)

RC Qualifier

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarDude View Post
    It wouldn't do me any good my friend. My whole boat is cooked. All that's salvageable is the hardware. I ain't worried about it, though. It could be worse...wait a minute. No it couldn't! (lol)
    Did the boat catch on fire? Why can't you salvage it?

Sent from my old phone
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Parts of the boat melted from the ESC catching on fire, and the motor looks just like SkidMan's. I think I've talked myself into getting a new V2 boat. What do you guys think? Are the new Spartans better?I know now that my problem didn't have anything to do with the two hose system cooling mod. I would like to do the mod on another boat. I would also like to see how I can test the temp sensor. I'm thinking about putting two test points in parallel to the sensor, that way I can check it every now and again.

RC Qualifier
    Just send it to traxxas and see what happens. Most likely they will replace it with the v2
    Xo-1
    Pede 4x4 PE - Slash 4x4 PE
    Miss Geico Boat

RC Qualifier
    Sorry to hear that. If you can salvage all the hardware, you could go ahead and buy a V2 hull off ebay. In the meantime work the warranty replacement with Castle and Traxxas to get everything you need to get you back on the water. Good luck!!!

RC Competitor
    +1 or returning the whole thing. Worse case is you're out shipping. Cheers

RC Qualifier
    Well, I ordered me a brandy new Spartan today. I'm sure I could get back to having fun cheaper, but this will be faster. Two of my basic philosophies in life are: "Work hard, play hard" and "If yah want to play, you can't be afraid to play. Also, I didn't want to blow the whole summer waiting for parts. I did figured out what happened, though.

Being a new guy to RC boating, I kind of made a few boo-boos. When I got my boat, I read the manual several times before I put my boat in the water. But, even at that, I have to say; you can't beat the benefit of gaining book knowledge reinforced by experiencing that book knowlege in real life. Anyway, my first mistake was; I made the interpretation from the book that a "Run" was a day on the lake, and not the time of a charged set of batteries being spent. I'm not saying that was my problem, because when I got home from a day on the lake, I had no rust on my flex shaft. I also could feel the lube on the flex shaft before I cleaned everything up. I will say, the Traxxas book sez to lube after ever run, and that (I know now) is when the boat comes out of the water for a battery change. In my opinion, there is a chance that my interpretation could of caused a premature motor failure

My second mistake was, when my boat stopped dead in the water; my reaction was pumping the throttle wondering what just happened. When I did that, I forced the ESC to do what it couldn't do causing it to blow up. I didn't figure out what probably happened untill I got everything home, looked at everything when it was disassembled, and re-read parts of the Traxxas book. It sez in the Traxxas book, that if your boat abruptly stops release the transmitter immediately. Do not force the boat to move, and go get it.

Anyway, I talked to Traxxas. Told them what I'm telling you, and they still offered to help me out. I love those guyz, but I felt better ordering another boat, and chocking my experience to a learning curve. It's kind of what I tell my guyz. I won't yell if you make a mistake while you're learning, but i be all over you if you keep making the same mistake. Hopefully you guyz will accept, I'm not known for making the same mistake twice. Well, that's how my story turned out. Untill my next adventure........

Edited for bypassing the language filter. Please do not insert symbols in order to get around the filter, it is there for a reason.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-21-2012 at 09:30 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas warranty support on this boat has been pretty rock solid. Not sure the details of your conversation with them, but send the boat in. If they replace it, you have another for spare parts.

hog