Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RC Champion

REVO 3.3 Race Build

I'm starting this thread so I don't have to keep making multiple post for general questions

Truck details
    5308 3.3 REVO
    Single servo steering
    1/2inch offset dirt tires

1st question.... I bent my header at the track today so what would be the best replacement... I noticed the new style ones on the 5309 are different then the one I have is it a better header or...should I take this opertunity to buy a better pipe I think I remember the brand THS please recommend some 3.3 revo pipes

and I also need a different throttle arm to use my RB carb if u know of any can u link them to me thanks in advance

RC Champion
    How did you bend your header? That must have been some crash.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Champion
    Yea it was lol here is a pic
    I think it's too bent to use???

RC Racer
    You can use that header. Just put the part of the header that goes to the engine in a vise or something to hold it and get a torch and heat it up, then grab a pair of pliers and pull on the part that goes on the pipe till it is back in shape. I have done this multiple times. I would also order a revo platinum header (part #5340x). You will also need to order the spring and gaskets (part #5254). I've never had this header bend.

RC Champion
    Just a word of advice you should use wider zip ties on the silicone exhaust coupler...those little ones like you got on there will cut it up.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Champion
    Ok I'll put some thicker on

RC Champion
    Ok I think it's good now

RC Champion
    What have y'all found to be the best tires for a track that's hard packed with really loose topping??

Every time I would punch It out of a corner or even on the straights it would start sliding sideways or just do a complete 360

With the tires in my post above I'm running 3* toe in each side totaling 6* in the Rear

I'm running 2* toe out each side totaling 4* in the front
    Last edited by Emaxx1991; 08-19-2012 at 04:24 PM.

RC poster
    What air filter are you running and how did you fit it?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx1991 View Post
    What have y'all found to be the best tires for a track that's hard packed with really loose topping??

Every time I would punch It out of a corner or even on the straights it would start sliding sideways or just do a complete 360

With the tires in my post above I'm running 3* toe in each side totaling 6* in the Rear

I'm running 2* toe out each side totaling 4* in the front

For the price of headers, get a new one. The normal headers have a tendency to leak at the outside corner right at the coupler. Or you could go to a Platinum spring header and install two springs to hold it at a cost of around $20.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Yea I'm going to order the platinum one

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BrendanS View Post
    What air filter are you running and how did you fit it?
    I can't remember the brand I think reely or os I'll check next time I go and let u know but to fit it I cut the stock hose and used it

RC Champion
    Can anyone think of any good tires for a hard packed track with loose topping

Here is what I'm running now and I was sliding like crazy I realize it's prolly my skill lol but just wondering

RC Competitor
    I don't think it is your skill....Those small pins you are running are for straight up hard pack with no loose surface. I ran an indoor track that was dirt as hard as tile and the small nubs worked great.

If I may suggest the Tekno RC Sway Bar Kit... Adding it to the truck will help big time with control especially in the turns and tracking straight. If you race you want sway bars.

I think since your track is hard and loose you might like Proline Badlands in the M2 compound. They are like Motocross tires for the truck and hook up REAL nice. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Line-117...item5ae8c9d82a

Best of luck to you!
    Last edited by Bravo_Six; 08-20-2012 at 05:26 PM.
    "Don't hesitate...Accelerate!"

RC Competitor
    Here is my Revo with the Badlands. The picture was taken before I ran the truck...lol That small ram air circle I thought would work is now a 2"x2" square in the windshield...GREAT cooling and air intake to the filter.

Last edited by Bravo_Six; 08-20-2012 at 05:43 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo_Six View Post
    Here is my Revo with the Badlands. The picture was taken before I ran the truck...lol That small ram air circle I thought would work is now a 2"x2" square in the windshield...GREAT cooling and air intake to the filter.

GREAT LOOKING TRUCK!!! What wheels are those? I like! Picked up a set of Badlands over the weekend as well. I have a set of Big Joe's as well but with the 3.3, really does not perform well. Ill use them on the OS .30 or LRP build I just started.
    Warned to not use symbols..........

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo_Six View Post
    I don't think it is your skill....Those small pins you are running are for straight up hard pack with no loose surface. I ran an indoor track that was dirt as hard as tile and the small nubs worked great.

If I may suggest the Tekno RC Sway Bar Kit... Adding it to the truck will help big time with control especially in the turns and tracking straight. If you race you want sway bars.

I think since your track is hard and loose you might like Proline Badlands in the M2 compound. They are like Motocross tires for the truck and hook up REAL nice. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Line-117...item5ae8c9d82a

Best of luck to you!
    Ok I think I will look into it
    Last edited by Emaxx1991; 08-21-2012 at 04:55 AM.

RC Champion
    Ok so here is a list of what I think will help me

Center diff(what wt should I start with)
    Tekno sway bar kit
    Badlands on desperado's 1/2" offset
    Losi 3.4 carb
    Platinum header
    Platinum throttle servo mount
    And this servo for throttle and steering
    Blue Bird BMS 630MG

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Revo gene View Post
    GREAT LOOKING TRUCK!!! What wheels are those? I like! Picked up a set of Badlands over the weekend as well. I have a set of Big Joe's as well but with the 3.3, really does not perform well. Ill use them on the OS .30 or LRP build I just started.
    Thank you very much! They are Proline Desperado Wheels. The 4 Badlands all came premounted to those wheels.

RC Racer
    I just upgraded to a Savox 1283SG. I love it so far and havent really used it at all ha

Also look into the Savox 1256TG

1283SG - est $100 - 416/.13 (oz/speed@6.0volts)
    1256TG - est $80 - 277/.15

Compared to the specs of the BlueBird which is only a little bit better than stock
    (remmeber the stock setup is "250"/.17 ... i say 250 cause its 2x125oz servos, but really they would fight each other abit and give less power)

I narrowed down my selection to those to savox servos as they are both more powerful (and quicker) than 2x2075s.

I'm running Proline VTRs with Calibure tyres (make sure you get the 4.0 truggy size, not the 2.0 buggy haha fail my mate did!)

Not sure how they would compare to your current pins as they are pretty much a pin style tyre. But i love em. Half the weight of the stock revo 3.3 wheels/tyres.

I too have bent a header in that same spot, and just rebent it till my replacement showed up (which snapped/bent clean off!)
    And then switched to the Plat header and no complaints yet.

I'll be looking to go for the "BB" THS rear exhaust later on as my next upgrade (future proof for a JL reddot .26 or an LRP .28/.30)

Defs get the sway bar shiz makes a HUGE difference in the corners, and the wing kit seems to make my truck more stable in the high speed sections.

Jump on some RPM arms (and maybe axle carriers) as they are pretty much unbreakable.. i also went with the tru-track rear arms, as i really could not be stuffed setting my toe up, makes it alot easier (i hate trying to match left to right.. then have abit of a stack and then one wheel is waaaaay off)
    Tru-track pretty much is "set"/install and forget.

Dunno what filter that is, but me and my mate are both having GREAT luck with the motor saver filters, with the outersaver on as well. Pretty much have been running out trucks tank after tank and not even having to clean the filter elements (I just cleaned mine today, altho it wasnt even dirty)

Few other little tidy up things like the Slayer/plat rx boxes and throttle servo mounts will clean it up abit and save a touch of weight.

Cant help you on the center diff, but it is on my list of upgrade to go (along with a rear brake kit)

Im more of a basher who bashes around the track.

*why the Losi Carb??

***********and abit of EZ-Off oven cleaner works magic in ridding of chrome if you like that blacked out look =D
    Last edited by Lincoln87; 08-21-2012 at 08:28 AM.
    OkGo Performance, RC Division.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln87 View Post
    *why the Losi Carb??
    I have read good reviews about it making the motor more powerfull and more easily tuned

I eventually want A .26 JL REDOT
    but I need to learn how to tune better

That savox for steering seams like way overkill lol...maybe I should sell my other trucks so I can put more money into this one

RC Champion
    I'm looking at getting the SC 1232SG what do u use for your throttle servo would my bluebird be good for throttle

RC Champion
    What Wing mount do y'all like better I have the tekno and the stock wing mount which is better

Another question if I stretch 2.8" badlands onto 3.8 inch dish wheels would it handle better

RC Competitor
    What Wing mount do y'all like better I have the tekno and the stock wing mount which is better

Another question if I stretch 2.8" badlands onto 3.8 inch dish wheels would it handle better
    I run the Traxxas wing mount and wing. I like it and have had no problems with it. Tough as nails. As far as mounting smaller tires to bigger wheels I would not suggest it. I think it would just be a big headache for you. Never heard of anyone doing that. You want tires that are made to fit the wheel size they are made for. The Tekno sway bar kit will really help with handling. I run the exact Badlands in the link I sent you with the Tekno Sway bars and I love the combo. I think you will too.

RC Racer
    for the money i dont think the losi carb would be worth it

I use the 2075 as my throttle servo.

Savox 1283 defs not overkill =P
    OkGo Performance, RC Division.

RC Champion
    Mocked up a few more filter ideas

RC Champion
    I can't decide if I want to us a picco .26 red dot , .28 max , one of the LRP motors ,big block.....yada yada yada if this trucks sole purpose is to race what would be best?

RC Champion
    A small block is your best bet for racing....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    you know.. i never had a sig.. but i do now...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by kgombe1 View Post
    A small block is your best bet for racing....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    That's what I'm leaning towards since they rev higher and most can just be dropped in with slight modification if any

Also check the rules where you're going to race some will not let to run a big block engine in a stock MT class.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC Champion
    Well my spur got shredded today at the track should I just buy like 3 replacement 38t or are there any others y'all like to run

RC Champion
    Well just placed an order on eBay now just have to wait 10 days for the stuff to come in
    Tekno sway bar kit
    Traxxas center diff
    Traxxas FOC
    2 38t spur gears
    Platinum throttle servo mount
    Platinum header
    Header spring

What should I start with in my center diff I Have some 50k would that be good to start with

RC Champion
    Just ordered some 500k diff oil for the CD

RC Racer
    Just ordered some 500k diff oil for the CD
    500K is what I run and would like thicker....

RC Champion
    The Center Diff kit comes with the FOC.
    2009 Florida State Monster Truck Champion
    RBMods

What engine size counts as a big block? Just wondering, is that a Traxxas exhaust pipe in a differnt color? If not, what exhaust is that? I like!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    What engine size counts as a big block? Just wondering, is that a Traxxas exhaust pipe in a differnt color? If not, what exhaust is that? I like!
    generally speaking most .26's and up are considered big blocks. The Picco .26 though is considered a "mid-block" with many RC'ers.

That is aleast what I know.......I am sure there are more experts out here on the subject.

I run the .26 Picco max in one of my REVO's and it is just a work horse. No matter the temp, humidity, or terrain it just performs perfectly everytime. I took the stock 3.3's that I had and one of them in a JATO I picked up online and it is a speed demon now. Took one of the other 3.3's and stuck it in an old HPI SUPER NITRO RS4 I had and it is insane!!

Now working on a OS .30 in my other REVO.....I am almost afraid of how it is going to run after tuned in and exhaust figured out.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pntmachine View Post
    The Center Diff kit comes with the FOC.
    Not the kit I got it just comes with an output shaft the cd is a whole different kit

The exhaust pipe is a stock 2.5r pipe

I think I'm going to run my 3.3 till she dies then I'll think about getting a .26 or something different

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Revo gene View Post
    500K is what I run and would like thicker....
    I can't find any thicker