Thread: issues....

RC Racer

issues....

Got my slayer not to long ago, broke it in correctly put a few mods on it and just can't find that tune. I put the single chamber resonator from traxxas roar legal added the motor saver filter (really works hour of driving in dusty conditions the outer filter ha barely no dirt on it) put a Robinson racing slipper clutch on after I blew out one of the stock pads and put the integy evo-5 clutch on the engine. The engine stalls at idle after about 30 seconds to a minute Boggs at take offs. Plenty of blue smoke coming out runs about 120 degrees to 160 degrees rarely and it gives me issues restarting after running for awhile is the engine running too rich??? I've owned a few nitro vehicles in the past (duratrax nitro quake and the nitro Mt with the .15) and tuned plenty of carbs on regular vehicles but this one is being stubborn. The truck has had some pretty hard hits but no visible damage.

RC Champion
    You're low speed needle is too rich. Lean it by 1/4 turn.
    By the way welcome to the forum, and in the future stay away from integy.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Racer
    Okay I'm gonna try that and why stay away from integy

RC Racer
    And thank you for the welcome. That was my problem thank you for your help what would be a good engine clutch?

RC Champion
    I am not extremely knowledgeable about clutch shoes but I have heard that aluminum ones are the way to go.
    Integy is not know for making quality products. I have had a couple of their products and I can assure you I will never own another.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly630 View Post
    And thank you for the welcome. That was my problem thank you for your help what would be a good engine clutch?
    They cast their parts instead of machining them.
    Matthew 7:7

I run the M2C 3 shoe racing clutch with aluminum shoes and it's a great little setup. If you go with that one spend a few extra bucks on the spring installation tool for that clutch, it makes life a whole lot easier. You can find them at A main hobbies.

I would try using a buku clutch, I've heard great things about them, but I've never used one. I just have a hard time spending $40+ on one part! LOL. This might be a little late, but welcome to the fourms!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Champion
    The buku clutch is definatly the way to go. I wouldnt use anything else. The newer versions offer the kevlar pads. Best clutch available and will outlast 50 carbon clutches. Well worth the $40+. With the Buku you want to set the slipper tight. Set the clutch shoes to allow very slight slipping on take off. Tuning the buku with the slipper loose is almost imposible. Reset slipper after clutch is tuned. After all is set up correctly. The Buku will be dependable for several engines without replacing the shoes.
    OH and by the way. OP, you are way to rich. Lean out your LSN 1/4. Retune using only your HSN for best performance. Temps should be in the 250 range. Then reset your LSN to the pinch test. Engine temps should peak out in the 260 range. But do not tune to temp. Tune to performance. When it runs the best you can get it. Richen your HSN by 1/8 to 3/16 turn to keep it safe from overheating. If you have only hit temps in the 160 range. You havent put the car thru the proper heat cycle yet. It needs to see higher temps to be broke in properly.
    Last edited by Powerman; 08-19-2012 at 08:42 AM.

RC Racer
    Well it was running phenomenal then the stock clutch bell blew up went and got a Robinson hardened 15t for it then ran it again but forgot to check the temp over heated the engine stalled on me and checked the temp it was at 290.... wasted the glow plug..... I hope I didn't damage the engine it still cranks over freely and has good compression but now the hobby store is closed and can't get another plug I guess I need to buy them in bulk, so i richened up the HSP about 3/16th for next run I did that but its trial and error funny thing tho it wasn't cutting out at WOT like a lean engine would. I have old glow plugs from the old vehicles they have the same threads but the shank ain't as long can I still use them?
    Last edited by Double G; 08-21-2012 at 10:17 PM.

RC Champion
    You want to either stick with a traxxas plug or go to an OS LC-3 or LC-4. McCoys also makes some compatable plugs. Big thing is to stick with a medium to hot heat range on the plug. If you use a cool plug it will not run very well. Hot plugs are best to use with the higher % nitro content. Any old plug in the parts bin is not recomended. Could cause predetonation and do damage to piston.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the info bro thos plugs went right into the scrap pile. last night finally got th tune down pat and loving every minute of the truck and for its plastic parts are pretty durable smacked a wall it bounced right off and drove off un like my captins T-MAXX which snapped the control arms....all i gotta do is just reset the toe couldn't have gotten a better truck I feel!!!
    Last edited by Double G; 08-28-2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: language

RC Qualifier
    and another thing with mccoy plugs is if you use the ezstart the lead wire never stays on..other than that they work fine.