RC poster

Widen suspension Pro's and Con's

I have a Rustler VXL and was wondering the pros and cons of a wider Suspension. I don't race and don't plan on it. I just bash, but with the speed of the car it flips easy.

Would I even see a different?

RC Qualifier
    where you will see te biggest diffrence is in less roll overs on a turn with a wide suspention
    if its flipping end to end from motor power better invest in a wheelie bar

RC Competitor
    The only cons to a wide mod are time and money. Time spent modding is usually fun and the cost is pretty low if you do the jang wide mod. The pros are keeping the dirty side down for a majority of the time.

Run it till you break it.

If you are not worried about racing and the rules that racing brings with it I cant think of a down side to doing a wide mod. I have the rear arm on front mod on mine and it is probably the single best mod my Rusty has.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I have the rear arm on front mod on mine and it is probably the single best mod my Rusty has.
    Simply use rear A-arms on the front? Do you use rear wheels on the front and there even with the rear?

You would use front tires on the front to take advantage of the improved width.

No downsides to the wide mod, other than the truck is almost square instead of rectangle.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Enthusiast
    I have the protrac wide mod and love it. And personally I don't like the jang mod, I just think it's too wide I guess. To each his own. One upside to a wide mod is you can use the same offset on all the wheels. Just makes it a little easier buying new sets I guess.

RC Racer
    I really like this idea. What is the cheaper route? Jang or Protrack? There should be a sticky folder or something like that for mods like this and product reviews. JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RuhRohRhaggy View Post
    I have the protrac wide mod and love it. And personally I don't like the jang mod, I just think it's too wide I guess. To each his own. One upside to a wide mod is you can use the same offset on all the wheels. Just makes it a little easier buying new sets I guess.
    I thought they came out to about the same width? I like the rear arm on front because in my head it uses a bigger shock to match the bigger arm and should be better matched than the ProTrac using a longer arm with the shorter shock. I realize the difference in real life use is probably so minute you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

I am not sure about the cost of the ProTrac,,,I think if you already had rear shocks you could use the rear arm on front would be less expensive but definitely takes more time to get the spacing all worked out correctly. If you need to buy another set of rear shocks it would obviously effect the price of doing the rear on front mod.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I thought they came out to about the same width? I like the rear arm on front because in my head it uses a bigger shock to match the bigger arm and should be better matched than the ProTrac using a longer arm with the shorter shock. I realize the difference in real life use is probably so minute you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

I am not sure about the cost of the ProTrac,,,I think if you already had rear shocks you could use the rear arm on front would be less expensive but definitely takes more time to get the spacing all worked out correctly. If you need to buy another set of rear shocks it would obviously effect the price of doing the rear on front mod.
    Well when I was deciding on which wide mod to do I was told by multiple people that the rear on front mod made the front a little wider than the rear, which just looks weird to me. The protrac makes the rear and front the same width. I've never done the rear on front and have only seen pictures of it. I guess it boils down to how much you want to spend/how much work you want to do. I can't remember how much mine costed me but I think it was between $40 and $50.

EDIT: After reading your post on another thread, I might be thinking of the jato mod.. I did all this well over a year ago so I forgot about that one lol.
    Last edited by RuhRohRhaggy; 04-30-2013 at 04:01 PM.