RC Racer

E-SlayerPro to E-Slay-vo conversion

Few months ago I had converted my new SlayerPro to an E-SlayerPro using the Tekno conversion kit. The Tekno motor mount hinged on the nitro brackets. Comes with a nice battery tray, but designs the ESC bracket above the transmission. It worked fine but I thought it could be better.

For my second conversion, I did a 2nd gear lockout mod, got rid of the brake servo, and moved the ESC down lower to where the brake servo used to be. I also installed some AKA wheels and Revolver tires which knocked about 2 seconds off my lap times.

For this third conversion, I'm using a Summit chassis (same as E-revo), an E-revo single speed transmission, and E-revo center driveshafts. The modular design of the existing rear diff housing fits both the aluminum and plastic chassis...

Everything else bolts on....

Same Castle 2200 system on 4S. (Two 2S wired in series)
    The motor bolts directly to the transmission eliminating the old nitro brackets...

Got the chassis, battery doors, and center skid off ebay for $20
    The existing frt/rear skids must have been designed for this chassis....

Finished, ready to race this Saturday. I went with 30wt/20 in the shocks w/lighter springs, and 7-20-3 in the diffs. The E-revo center diff comes with 500K oil that Traxxas recommends!!!! I thought it way too thick for racing/cornering on a tight course...

Ready to tear up the track. I had to move the front body holes about 1/2 inch forward for some reason. The conversion looks alot better balanced. What do you think? I should have some race vids after Saturday...
    Last edited by SilentWolv; 04-07-2011 at 10:06 AM.

RC Racer
    I'm in the middle of building one of these right now. Let us know how it runs on the track.

RC Competitor
    Slash, eat your heart out!

RC Racer
    You had to move the body post hole forwards because the E-Revo platform has a slightly longer chassis than the nitro Revo platform. Nice conversion! (:

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shonen View Post
    You had to move the body post hole forwards because the E-Revo platform has a slightly longer chassis than the nitro Revo platform. Nice conversion! (:
    Ah, thanks. I thought when I measured the frt/rear housing holes, they were the same length. I wasn't sure if one end of the plastic chassis had more/less kickup or if it was longer. Can't wait to try it out Sat. My buddy usually video tapes the races, so I should have a vid how it does.

RC Racer
    Heres a vid from Saturday's 10 minute race main. I ran it with the E-8th scale buggies. Qualified 7th... had a rough start... but came back up through the field to take 4th !!! Pretty happy with the diff oil changes that I made. Not too hard to follow my car, since I was wearing the hat-cam. haha. ANY setup or driving tips welcome.....

Heres the link for full screen... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwqL3rIf_jY
    Last edited by SilentWolv; 04-10-2011 at 12:40 PM.

RC Racer
    Could you have raced with the 4wd SC trucks? What motor and esc are you running, and what are your thoughts on track performance.
    I am about to order the kit and do it to mine...didn't see this thread before posting mine..looking for same info.
    I want to race SC, and the slayer pro just doesn't fit anywhere.

RC Racer
    You're right, it doesn't seem to "fit" anywhere. I'm trying to promote mine as an 8th scale CORR truck class. Check with your local tracks and see what they're running. Some have a 2S battery limit, while others have a body size limit. I thought the larger size of the Slayer was cool, and wanted "over the top" performance of the Castle 2200 on 4S.

Its not the advantage you might think. My conversion at 8lbs is still 2lbs heavier than a Slash4X4, and not as nimble. I DID run in a 4X4 SCT class a few weeks ago (before I went to the revo chassis), with a Hyper10, SC8e, Slash4X4, and my E-SlayerPro in that order on the starting grid.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qBk_kAJprE My son-in-law with the green Hyper10 is an excellent driver, and he wasn't even driving it that hard, and still lapped us. Even the 4S that me and the SC8e had couldn't offset the weight difference. If I could get it down to around 7lbs, now THAT might be a different story.

RC Racer
    Well that vid just changed my mind. You drove a pretty smooth race, but ya he was more nimble, fast...everything.
    OK well, I'm going to sell my Pro and start over. Local tracks don't and will not have a 1/8 scale corr, due to lack of trucks in that category. Dropping a few pounds would be tough. I did weigh my chassis minus engine and wheels and it was 5.5lbs. My wifes slash 2wd with battery was 5.13lbs. I can see where adding a big battery, motor, and esc would easily get it over 8.5lbs.

If you know of anyone that wants one cheap and like new...please let them know I have one for sale.

RC Racer
    Good luck with the SCT 4X4 class! I'm gonna keep giving those 8th scale buggies ****. haha.

RC Racer
    Will do...it sure would be fun to have 5-6 Slayers' in a race, if more companies made nitro versions I would bet it would be different.

RC Racer
    Silent...was thinking about weight. Is it too heavy to enter and exit corners, or just too heavy for speed? I wonder what a big, big motor would do?

RC Racer
    I think of weight as mass, and mass as weight + momentum. The additional weight surpasses a point that is beyond the grip of the tires, so a bigger motor wouldn't help. Fortunately, it weighs about the same as the 8th scale buggies, so its a good race for them. I'm happy with the Castle 2200 on 4S... it reminds me of watching the 900HP beasts on TV.

I have considered trying like a SCT long-can 5.5 on 2S. Not sure what that would do for the power-to-weight or if that would be enough to race the 8ths scales.

RC Racer
    Gotcha...I had same problem against 4wd electric's this weekend, They just rail around turns while I have to feather throttle. I can catch them on the straights, but lose it all over jumps and around the tight sections. I almost think a tire that didn't grip as well would be better. I rolled many times from what I believe was the excess tire grip. The enduros were soft and stuck like glue on the hardpack dirt. I have center diff, rear brake kit and sway bars installed...didn't help that much.
    I had a 4wd electric land on me and I just kept on going...the extra weight comes in handy pushing the lighter trucks aside..of course like you said at a price.

RC Qualifier
    You are right less grip in the back does help these things stay on the wheels. A rear sway bar also helps a little. I have found more negative camber in the back does lessen the traction. I run about -3 degrees w/ a rear sway bar. Finally make sure your ride height is nice and low, say no higher than 1" in the rear and even a little lower in the front.

RC Qualifier
    I have the first slayer can I buy a electric erevo chasis to convert will it work instead of the nitro revo chasis
    Yes Castle Creations is in KANSAS

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kansas-slash2009 View Post
    I have the first slayer can I buy a electric erevo chasis to convert will it work instead of the nitro revo chasis
    I think you would have the long wheelbase with the shorter arms. You would also need the longer SlayerPro arms and body. Check the exploded views w/part numbers under the "products" tab to see whats the same.
    Last edited by SilentWolv; 04-11-2011 at 08:23 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice! Could you please put a couple of pictures showing the body? I want to see how it looks. Is that a Slayer Pro body?

200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Racer
    Thanks. This is the only pic I have for now. Its the original Slayer Pro body that came with the car....

Be sure to watch the race vid too
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwqL3rIf_jY

RC Racer
    Hi all, I'm selling this Slayvo build on ebay....
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/130747506531...84.m1555.l2649
    Sorry the original thread build doesn't still have the pics (my internet provider deleted them), but there is
    a video of when I raced it with the 8th scales, and pics on the ebay page. Its already close to the reserve.

Have to say, I did enjoy this build!