RC Qualifier

Slipper clutch pads.

I finally bit the bullet and bought the 3.3 gray trans for my eBay built 4907. Today I fired her up for the first time, took a pass and stopped to check my gear mesh and such. Wouldn't you know 1 of my slipper pads is cracked and gone! Unbelievable! I put the spring washers in the correct way like this () slipper nut was set just right and I'm stumped as to what happend. What do you guys think I should do? Buy stock replacements and chock it up to a fluke? Buy the HD aluminum pads? Or do the 2.5 brake disc mod? Thanks in advance!

RC Qualifier
    I vote for the 2.5 brake disc mod. Whoever came up with this mod idea is genius.
    Thats my 2 cents, sir.
    Bash, Crash, Upgrade, Repeat..

RC Qualifier
    Ya I think I'll do the brake disc mod since I have some old pads around. I just can't believe the stock slipper pads are so fragile they can't even handle a break in then one rip up the street.

Does it happen? Yes. Not that frequently though. I am still on the same set of pads going on gallon five or six now. Though I did take the advise of someone when I started to put a dab of tire glue on the back and adhere it to the spur so that I don't lose it if the slipper is too loose.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    This happened to me on break-in, too. Traxxas sent me a new slipper clutch rebuild kit and been running fine since (2 gal so far).
    No Honey, I have had this one for a long time....

RC Qualifier
    HMM, thats Interesting, I think I would just drill out the 3 Holes through the back plate there (with the cooling fins) tap the holes and run long enough bolts to make it a Solid Non-Slipper J/K Actually I would do that but then again I cannot actually find a Use for the slipper at least for what I do anyway. Maybe after I break enough things and realize the slipper would stop the breakage I may understand the concept behind it but so far I have not broken anything and It annoys me to no end when the Slipper slips when I want all power to the ground or at least the tires.
    Then again I am running a 2.5 Engine maybe the 3.3 engine would make me rethink my entire outlook on the slipper Do Hickey.
    T-Maxx 3.3 :)

RC Qualifier
    BTW Maxx-O do you have reverse in the Grey Tranny? what is the Greyish thingy up on you Head or top of cylinder there?
    One last thing I see you have you Fuel input at 120 degree or 150 something like that do you find that routing works better then running teh fuel line between the Block and the Carb as is the stock setup?
    T-Maxx 3.3 :)

RC poster
    I had a pad come off during my break in period and just chalked it up to a fluke and replaced it a couple days later. I have not had any problems since I have done this probably about 1/2 gal of run time on it now. I even bought the HD aluminum kit to switch to just in case.