RC Champion

Pull start or starter box for racing?

I had a sour experience with my pull starter last weekend so I'm
    Trying to decide if I should just buy a new pull starter or start saving for a starter box and back plate??

RC Competitor
    I removed my EZ Start because I am used to a starter box from when I raced 1/8 buggies. I got the Ofna T-Start made for the Revo http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Ofna-T-S...item5ae56adce3 and the Maximizer Back Plate so I did not have to change or grind my shaft http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Maximize...item4cfdac4da1 I am VERY happy with this set up, quick starts and off you go! . You DO NOT need to change your flyweel for this box which is real nice. I hope this helps you out. Heck, my EZ Start weighed almost as much as my engine...lol!
    "Don't hesitate...Accelerate!"

RC Racer
    have you had any problems with the flywheel or the wheel on the box going smooth dont know what its made of
    Man if i could fly..........

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TunerEX View Post
    have you had any problems with the flywheel or the wheel on the box going smooth dont know what its made of
    No problems at all with either one. I am VERY happy with it. It is real easy to line the starter box wheel and flywheel up perfectly. The Starter Box wheel is made of rubber and can easily be replaced when worn down which will take a good while. You will get MANY starts out of a wheel if it is set up properly. A Main Hobbies has the replacement wheel and they are only $5.49. I bought one just to have when the time comes instead of needing it and not having it.

RC Champion
    I seen that box on eBay would it work with a Buku clutch that's what I'm wanting to run

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx1991 View Post
    I seen that box on eBay would it work with a Buku clutch that's what I'm wanting to run
    Yes it will....I have the Buku aluminum composite shoe speed tune clutch on mine and the box works perfectly with it.

RC Champion
    Awesome thanks for the help man...on a side note what springs and oil do u race with. Right now I'm running green front and tan rear.....truck is setting level
    and fluid us stock

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx1991 View Post
    Awesome thanks for the help man...on a side note what springs and oil do u race with. Right now I'm running green front and tan rear.....truck is setting level
    and fluid us stock
    You are welcome glad I could be of help. I run green front, silver rear, 50wt oil all around, stock pistons, and have the Tekno Sway bar set up front and rear. Works real well for me. Not too stiff or too soft and tracks real nice.

RC Champion
    Ok I will follow suite and get some silvers and see how it works

RC Competitor
    i love starter boxes
    Could you go and flip my truck back over?

RC Racer
    Roto start for me! I would rather carry around my Roto rather than a large box lol...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

RC poster
    I will also suggest you to start with starter Box. I just love it.

car finance calculator

RC poster
    Just got a starter box for my revo and had a question. Can I leave the pull start on?

RC Champion
    Yes, you can leave the pull start on.

BUT, eliminating the one-way bearing is the primary advantage of using a starter box (for multiple reasons). You still risk the chance of the one-way bearing seizing up on you, even though you are not using the pull start. Another reason to remove it is weight reduction. Your engine will spool up a little easier/faster by eliminating the reciprocating weight of the bearing. It creates drag on the engine.
    Believe 1/2 of what you see,and 0 of what you hear

Quote Originally Posted by Oomp View Post
    Yes, you can leave the pull start on.

BUT, eliminating the one-way bearing is the primary advantage of using a starter box (for multiple reasons). You still risk the chance of the one-way bearing seizing up on you, even though you are not using the pull start. Another reason to remove it is weight reduction. Your engine will spool up a little easier/faster by eliminating the reciprocating weight of the bearing. It creates drag on the engine.
    +1 on the reciprocating weight,,, A bump start motor has less drag on it, no starter shaft and OWB to spin...

But,,, I can tell you I have my Truggy wich is bump start and my other RC which is pull start... I kind of like having the pull start, saves lugging the starter box around from my area to the pit area and back... Enough to carry , fuel, timer, ignitor, temp guage.... I like simple....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC poster
    Thanks for the answer. Got a good deal on the box and really wanted to use it for the first start.