Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Exclamation Transnmitter binding to receiver (Tx to Rx)

I had to recently do this to link my new truck to my transmitter...for those who don't know this is how its done.

Note: the receiver must be connected to a 4.8-6.0v (nominal) power source for binding and the transmitter and receiver must be within 5 feet of each other.

1. Press and hold the transmitterís SET button as you switch transmitter on. The transmitterís LED will flash red slowly. Release the SET button
    2. Press and hold the receiverís LINK button as you switch on the speed control by pressing the EZ-Set button. Release the LINK button.
    3. When the transmitter and receiverís LEDs turn solid green, the system is bound and ready for use. Confirm that the steering and throttle operate properly before driving your model.

Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation Throttle Neutral Adjustment 50/50 or 70/30 setting

I haven't mentioned this before but I use the 70/30 setting on my Tx...you get a nice range of throttle control when big air bashing and I personally prefer the 70/30 setting over the 50/50. My eSlayer and my soon to be eSlayVo GT also use this setting.

I only use the 50/50 setting on my Summit which runs on a different Tx...this is how you set your throttle end points.

The throttle neutral adjustment is located on the transmitter face and controls the forward/reverse travel of the throttle trigger. Change the adjustment by pressing the button and sliding it to the desired position.

There are two settings available:
    50/50: Allows equal travel for both acceleration and reverse.
    70/30: Allows more throttle travel (70%) and less reverse travel (30%).

1. Install the batteries of your choice in the battery compartments and plug the batteries into the speed control.
    2. Switch on your transmitter.
    3. Hold full throttle while you switch on the Mamba Monster controller. After a few seconds, you will hear multiple tones and the RED LED will light.
    4. Hold full brake. After a few seconds, you will hear multiple tones and the YELLOW LED will light.
    5. Release the trigger to the neutral position. After a few seconds, you will hear multiple tones and ALL THE LEDs will light.
    6. Wait a few more seconds for the speed control to Ďarm,í indicated by a double-tone. You are now ready to drive.
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation 5608 Manual part 1/3

I had a go at cropping the manual for what I thought would be good reference material or quick reference:

Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation 5608 Manual part 2/3

Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation 5608 Manual part 3/3

Last edited by craig.mitch316; 01-16-2013 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Added Pg10
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hey craig you missed page ten!

Thanks mate...I over looked it in the beginning but looking at it again thought it is worth while to go in here...added to post #323 above .
    Rock n Rolla !

Thought I would re-post some of my favourite videos...I'm taking a break from making videos for a while...

Rock n Rolla !

Not much to add...I broke the front right hand side bulkhead and centre skid plate again yesterday...driver error tho. I'll post some pics up later of the carnage...I'm in no rush to fix this at the moment .
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 01-18-2013 at 04:46 AM.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Maybe try landing a little nose up? That may prolong the life of the bulk, but the way you bash something has to fail eventually HOW on EARTH did you break a center skid???
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Quote Originally Posted by Money pit View Post
    Maybe try landing a little nose up? That may prolong the life of the bulk, but the way you bash something has to fail eventually HOW on EARTH did you break a center skid???
    The front bulks crack down to the suspension pin...once this happens the bottom arm starts moving around putting unnecessary stress on the servo saver...I suppose transferring the stress to the centre skid.

I find it far easier replacing a bulkhead than a stripped diff tho .
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation RC Solutions roll cage

This is the RC Solutions roll cage for anyone who wants to know what they look like. I thought this was a godsend in the beginning when I first started using it but turned out to be a pain in my butt.

If like me, you are a tinkerer and like to work on your truck on a regular bases, then changing gearing, working on shocks, routine maintenance etc... you will find that these tasks will become difficult and long winded unless you have small hands unlike me.

I found it also get old very quick taking the cage on and off all the time. I ended up selling mine.

If you don't tinker much on your truck then this could be a solution for you!! The RC Solutions cage cost around $100 if I recall.

Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
    The front bulks crack down to the suspension pin...once this happens the bottom arm starts moving around putting unnecessary stress on the servo saver...I suppose transferring the stress to the centre skid.

I find it far easier replacing a bulkhead than a stripped diff tho .
    Hmmm, hope I don't have this problem. Hope you can find a way to prolong the life of them, but it sure will be nice having a diff last longer than a bulkhead

Here are some pics of the cracked bulkhead and skid plate. In the pic below you can see where my front right bulkhead is cracked through and the centre skid plate.

I also broke my wing...this one didn't last to long, about 3 months...it took its fair share of punishment.

Here all disassembled...I also broke three rod ends in this bail.

Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation Losi diff mod revisited

I have revisited the Losi mod for the front bulkhead...I have broken 1 bulkhead too many for my liking.

As seen below, this is how my front right bulkhead generally goes...it starts with a crack and then generally spreads until this happens. You can see on the left hand side of the bulkhead where I dremeled to accommodate the Losi diff. That slit on the left was made by me removing the hot glue with a screw driver but gives you an indication that the bulkhead is fairly thin there from been dremeled.

I measured the width of the diff case to be 27.35mm.

I then had a go at trying to remove some materiel from the sides of the diff case. I have seen some other members try this and have been unsuccessful with the diff case cracking from material been removed. My overall final measurement across the diff case is 27.15mm...I roughly tried to remove 0.1mm from each side as seen below.

I was very happy with my dremel work as this was done by hand...I tried to keep it as smooth and neat as possible.
    Left hand side if the pinion is in front of you with the top end of the diff facing up.

Opposite side.

You can see below where I removed materiel from the back end so the diff would sit better in the bulkhead. I removed a fair bit of material here but I think have left enough for the screw as seen below.

I also tried to profile the underside of the diff case similar to the stock diff; so as the diff would sit better in the bulkhead...no measurements were taken for this and was done with the eye. This bit concerns me as I think if the diff case fails it should be here as this is where the most material was removed from.

I also removed some material around the front screws of the diff as this is what requires the most removal of bulkhead material for the mod. This could be another point of failure on the diff case. Although not clearly visible in the photo their is still a good 1mm or so of material around the screw. I tried to keep it flush with the socket head cap.
    Top side.

Underside.

Time will tell if this was worth the effort or not...
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 01-21-2013 at 12:16 AM. Reason: I can't spell
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Looks good, hope it works.

Looks good, hope it works.
    Time will tell mate...if it works then this may be the way forward for me .
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation Front bulkhead dremeling revised

This is read in conjunction with post #335.

With the way I dremeled the diff case the bulkhead required little dremeling this time around. As seen below I only dremeled the bit of the bulkhead where the pinion rests. It was a relatively quick and easy job and a much better fit.

Rock n Rolla !

Here is the diff sitting in the bulkhead...this is the best fit for me so far on the front bulkhead...I am overall happy with my handy work.....

And again added hot glue to the diff...with the way the diff case has been dremeled the bulkheads closed nicely and their was not much gap on the underside like before.

Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Now you had the tin coated gears up front and standard out back. Is that right

Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Now you had the tin coated gears up front and standard out back. Is that right
    Yeah mate...that's right...I have the Ti-Nitride Ring and Pinion up front and stock in the rear. I ordered a complete Losi LST2 diff today just in case the diff case cracks from the mod...at least this way I have spares.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I had an almost complete set but since doing the flm mod on my e maxx I needed to rob them.
    I think one reason the front end takes more abuse is the lower skid plate transfers all the shock straight to the lower section of the bulkhead
    I don't know if you ever seen a T bone system on a merv but it ties the whole bottom together essentially making it one whole piece. We need something like that for ours.

Hopefully the FLM hybrid bulk works out for you...I have never really examined a merv up close, just the 1/10 eRevo.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    turns out the pinion bearings failed!

turns out the pinion bearings failed!
    Were those your Boca bearings that failed mate? I use advantage racing bearings in my trucks...I ordered some ceramics from them for my tranny, to replace the bearings around the idler gear only.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    No those were stock traxxas not very old though!
    Are those decent for the price?

I thought they were fairly reasonably priced...for the ceramics I bought worked out to $4.50 a bearing. Here's the link if you want to have a browse. I have been buying off these guys a long time now...I usually buy a bulk order of all sizes I need and last me through out the year...I don't have the money to buy a full set of Boca bearings for all my trucks.

Advantage racing products
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i have pretty much spent all my funds and a little more that i wanted to spend. i have had more then a few pinion bearing failures like to get around to better ones there

This is read in conjunction with post #316

This is the Hot Racing diff cup I am using in my eSlayer...I had a bearing go in my rear diff...this is the damage it caused to the diff cup. There was no sign that the bearing had gone and I just happened to pick this up because I was inspecting my drive shafts.

While I was at it I opened up the diff cup for inspection...as you can there is some where on the side wall from the spider gears.

I was surprised to see that the gears looked virtually as good as new.

Rock n Rolla !

Here's my latest bashing video...I was trying to jump 60ft again, I think if I had mt GT2's on I probably have got the distance. I was jumping between 50 and 55 ft when the ran came down and cut the bash session short.

Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    It looks like its trying to fly! Another sick bash vid!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice jump!
    Jumps are like speed runs. On my merv takes almost twice the power to break 60mph (easy to get to 60)
    In the mountains where I ride I have hit 35ft but only have about 15ft leading up to the ramp. To break 60 ft would take take way more speed then a shorter jump.
    We will be waiting for the next video

RC Competitor
    Reminds me of how my rc8be jumps... Just seems to like float/fly. Haven't got to hit anything big with my revo yet. An onboard camera of you bashing would be sweet

Quote Originally Posted by all_rice View Post
    It looks like its trying to fly! Another sick bash vid!
    Cheers mate...thanks for the feedback .

Nice jump!
    Jumps are like speed runs. On my merv takes almost twice the power to break 60mph (easy to get to 60)
    In the mountains where I ride I have hit 35ft but only have about 15ft leading up to the ramp. To break 60 ft would take take way more speed then a shorter jump.
    We will be waiting for the next video

Thanks mate...Yeah, I know what you mean...I'll give it a bash with the GT2's on again. With those small launch ramps I am using I am really pushing my truck to its limit with big speed jumps.

Quote Originally Posted by racerkilla View Post
    Reminds me of how my rc8be jumps... Just seems to like float/fly. Haven't got to hit anything big with my revo yet. An onboard camera of you bashing would be sweet
    I have been thinking of doing a few on board camera shots. I'll try get it filmed in the next couple vids or so...the eRevo is really an awesome jumping truck; it's always a lot of fun to bash.
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 01-28-2013 at 04:44 AM. Reason: 20156
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hey craig. What weight diff oil are you using? You know 1/8 scale diffs normally take 5000wt oil not thick like the revo's

Hey craig. What weight diff oil are you using? You know 1/8 scale diffs normally take 5000wt oil not thick like the revo's
    G'day mate...I am using a mixture of Traxxas 100k and 50k diff lube front and rear...my front is thicker than the rear. Before the Losi mod I use to use 50k F and 30k R in the stock diffs.

5k seems to thin for the eRevo and is way to thin for the way I use my truck...when I rebuild my truck in a few months I am thinking of going 100K F and R...I only use my truck for bashing now these days and hardly ever used on the road anymore.
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 01-29-2013 at 03:51 PM.
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation Axles shims

This is read in conjunction with post #45

I had a go at making some shims for my axles that fit between the RPM axle carriers (knuckles) and the 17mm HPP Hex Adapters. I noticed that a small gap had developed that I didn't like, this was more likely caused from wear and tear...I probably didn't need to make these shims as there was no wheel slop whatsoever.

This is what I did...I took a stainless steel M6 washer and sanded down on a belt sander and smoothed off with some fine course sandpaper.

The original washer was 1.6mm thick.

The finished product 0.8mm thick.

For the front axle carriers (knuckle) it required 1 shim that I made.

For the rear axle carriers (knuckles) I put 1 shim I made and 2 shims that I got with the HPP Hex Adapters...it is probably an overkill but I will test and see how it goes. I may end up putting 1 made shim and 1 HPP shim in the future but for now this is how I am running my truck.

In the video from post #350 above I am already using these shims I made...so far they are working out well for me.
    Rock n Rolla !

Not much too add...I finally stripped my rear diff. User error tho; it shouldn't of happened...due to an over anxious throttle finger. My replacement parts came in the mail today so I will end up fixing this in the next few days .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
    Not much too add...I finally stripped my rear diff. User error tho; it shouldn't of happened...due to an over anxious throttle finger. My replacement parts came in the mail today so I will end up fixing this in the next few days .
    do'h I hope that translates.

What did you break?

do'h I hope that translates.
    Sorry mate, not really but I think I get the jist of it.

What did you break?
    I broke one tooth of the pinion gear...surprisingly the truck still went well with heaps of power with the classic sound of a stripped diff.

How is your rig going mate?? Mine also seamed to go better with the Losi mod.

I pulled the trigger and bought a Mamba Monster 2 today along with another 2200kv Castle motor...this is for another street build project that I have started.

By the way, nice Quad bike mate...I use to ride dirt bike; I'm a Kawa fan...I rode a KX250 but unfortunately as luck would have it...I cased a jump and hurt myself badly ...now I bash my eRevo for my thrill .
    Rock n Rolla !