Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Naaier View Post
    Dude, you are one seriously insane basher ...I can't believe that these photos are real...until you watch your video clips.

I haven't seen anyone else here bashing their truck like that...you guys in Australia are crazy .
    HaHaHa...that's funny mate ...Insane; just a little bit I think...crazy...no mate; just having a blast bashing my truck.

Thanks for the feedback tho...I can't take credit for everything in this thread as a lot of the info I found right here in the eRevo brushless forum. Many late nights searching through old posts and current before I rebuilt my truck. I just tried to document my build as best I could while reassembling my truck back together.

Quote Originally Posted by Naaier View Post
    Keep those videos coming...you must have loads of time on your hands with all these builds and videos you make .
    I've developed a passion for making videos lately...its a constant juggle between family and work wrenching trucks, play time and making videos...I suppose its the addiction of the hobby.

Their are a few other build threads floating around here that you could also look at...its good to see what others are doing with their trucks too .
    Rock n Rolla !

Not much happening with the eRevo at the moment. Since completing my eSlayer build my eRevo has been a little bit neglected.

It also needs to be repaired...I made the classic NOOB mistake of letting my mate have a go with my truck...he took a jump accidentally almost at full throttle (not even I would attempt what he did), which surprised me as he is not new to RC's...the carnage left in the wake is not too bad; right front stub axle broken and the rear bulkhead cracked in half.

I'll post some pics up later when I come to repair this, probably tomorrow night so that my beast is up and running for the weekend, I feel the need for some big air bashing .
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 12-19-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: 14026
    Rock n Rolla !

Here are the pics showing the damage from my mates mishap...its not too bad and was a quick easy fix .

The stub axles and diff output cv drive will need to be replaced all round in the near future as they have done their job well. They are showing signs of wear; I will probably get around to this task in March when I tear my truck down for a service.

The bulkhead was an easy fix...I have dremeled a few now so it didn't take long to do.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    that would hurt!

hpp got back the paypal didn't go through . while i get that straight i ordered some hubs too!

i geared mine 24/54 for a 2 cell speed run .ran 53.74 on 2 cell was trying to test the temp strip but with a few speed runs and driving back and forth the motor didn't get up to 100!
    Last edited by 50togo; 12-20-2012 at 04:05 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
    Not much happening with the eRevo at the moment. Since completing my eSlayer build my eRevo has been a little bit neglected.

It also needs to be repaired...I made the classic NOOB mistake of letting my mate have a go with my truck...he took a jump accidentally almost at full throttle (not even I would attempt what he did), which surprised me as he is not new to RC's...the carnage left in the wake is not too bad; right front stub axle broken and the rear bulkhead cracked in half.

I'll post some pics up later when I come to repair this, probably tomorrow night so that my beast is up and running for the weekend, I feel the need for some big air bashing .
    Yip, that is why it is Skill Level 5+. Even someone who may be used to RC could get caught out by the raw power of 6s
    Last edited by Mugs; 12-20-2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: spelling
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Mugs View Post
    Yip, that is why it is Skill Level 5+. Even someone who may be used to RC could get caught out by the raw power of 6s
    Ain't that true mate...but 6s is where the fun is at .

Not having much luck with the eRevo lately. Blew the gears in the transmission yesterday. I will post up pics later of the carnage...2 bearings gone; they must of been the culprit for the damage caused. Its OK, while I wait for spares I have the eSlayer and Summit to keep me busy
    Rock n Rolla !

Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    that would hurt!

hpp got back the paypal didn't go through . while i get that straight i ordered some hubs too!
    They are top class guys to deal with...they are both terrific products.

i geared mine 24/54 for a 2 cell speed run .ran 53.74 on 2 cell was trying to test the temp strip but with a few speed runs and driving back and forth the motor didn't get up to 100!
    Sounds like you got your gearing worked out...I like my motor temps to be between 60 and 70C. I am currently running 21/58 but then blew my transmission. Not sure of the impact of motor temps yet.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Have you thought of boca yellow seal bearings for your setup?
    The trick is (if you aren't in a hurry) order a few cheap boca bearings then with the order you get 15%off your next order!

Have you thought of boca yellow seal bearings for your setup?
    The trick is (if you aren't in a hurry) order a few cheap boca bearings then with the order you get 15%off your next order!
    Their bearings are pricey...was having a look. I might get some Acer Ceramics for now. I've blown transmission bearings before in the past but not like this.

I suppose there is always a first time for everything; I am only looking to replace 2 of the bearings in the transmission with ceramics...as in my case its always the same ones that go .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hope you have better luck with Acer than I did!

The problem I came across on the rear bulkhead is that because I used my old bulkheads I didn't realise at the time that the rear holes were stripped.

I fixed that with using Du-bro 6/32 brass inserts

& here they are installed into the bulkhead and epoxied in place.

They are a nice snug fit...I will need to test them now and see if they hold up to serious bashing.
    This is a continuation from post #25

Some feedback on using the brass inserts...they worked wonders and the BHC screw never worked itself loose once; the BHC screw was secured using blue loctite.

As seen above, they look as good as the day they were done...unfortunately my mate managed to break the rear bulkhead for me. I am going to try dremel the inserts out and keep for a rainy day if possible; they were epoxied in place tho .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like you need some new mates LOL
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

Exclamation Transmission carnage

Well, this is a first for me...this transmission is over a year old and has blown a good fed few bearings around the idler gear in the past...but never sustained any damage like this before .

I've managed to shred every gear in the tranny and the tranny housing. I am now looking to replace the 2 5x11 rubber sealed bearings around the idler gear with ceramics.

Idler gear #3996X - 2 teeth missing

Input shaft drive gear #3992 - totally shredded...9 1/2 teeth left after the carnage

Output gear #3984X - also totally shredded

Tranny housing - this will also need replacing as the carnage of the gears destroyed this half.

It was unbelievable...giving my eRevo a burn; trying out 21/58 gearing to see the impact of temps on the motor. Next thing I heard this explosion sound coming from my truck and loss of power. I thought it was a diff at first.

I didn't expect the carnage to be as bad as it was when I opened the transmission...I was planning on opening the tranny up for inspection over the festive season...maybe a week or 2 sooner and this may not of happened .

Fortunately for me I have a spare tranny on hand...it was for my road build, I'll replace it at a later date .
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 12-26-2012 at 08:39 PM.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's wild!
    Epoxy should break right off if the inserts don't get crushed. Maybe put the screw in it and take some wire cutters and it should chip off

Exclamation Motor Plate

I think its time to replace the motor plate...this is still the original one I got with my eRevo. It has served me well until now.

As you can see it is fairly indented from where the motor mount is fastened. In truth, this has made my pinion and spur mesh difficult as the 4x10 cap screw is no longer free moving through the slot...the indent has also made it hard to fasten without the motor mount wanting to move (follow the profile of the indent).

You can also see here where my pinion has been hitting the motor plate from landing on its nose while doing big air from bashing my truck around.

Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Have you tried putting the bulkheads in a pot of very hot water? that should be enough to break the epoxy off of the plastic, and get those things out, shouldn't hurt them at all. Or you can always overtighten them to rip the threads out of the plastic
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Epoxy should break right off if the inserts don't get crushed. Maybe put the screw in it and take some wire cutters and it should chip off
    Quote Originally Posted by Money pit View Post
    Have you tried putting the bulkheads in a pot of very hot water? that should be enough to break the epoxy off of the plastic, and get those things out, shouldn't hurt them at all. Or you can always overtighten them to rip the threads out of the plastic
    Thanks for the tips guys...I'll get around to this task sometime in the New Year.
    Rock n Rolla !

New trannsmission and motor plate

New transmission...I lightly greased the Idler gear, Input shaft drive gear and Output gear. I will open the tranny up in a month or so to replace the 2 idler gear bearings with something better.

All assembled (new tranny and motor plate) and ready to be installed into place.

When installing Spur remember the number must show to the outside, you can read the number when looking at the transmission.

Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation Centre driveshaft inspection

This is a continuation of post #27

Well, since I had the transmission out I thought I would inspect my centre driveshaft as some guys were asking how mine were holding up; as their had been a couple failures on this mod.

This is them here...they looking as good as the day they were done.

This is the front one pulled apart...the yolk is perfect and showing no signs of wear or the pin. There was a slight bit of play; I probably could of squeezed another washer in there. I ended up replacing the washers with new ones in the front. These are the washers used for the mod Du-Bro Flat Washer 2.5mm #DUB2108.

What I never mentioned before and what probably could of been the cause for some of the failures was the lack of grease to this area...its a mechanical moving part, causes a lot friction so it probably gets really hot. This is how I greased mine before assembling back together.

This is the rear one pulled apart...here you can see the yolk is perfect and showing no signs of wear either or the pin. There was no play in this one at all and reused all parts.

New heat shrink applied and the opposite end cleaned and regreased...ready to be installed.

All installed and ready to rock n roll...I am very pleased with this mod and how it is holding up to my abuse . It has been worth the $'s spent for this mod.

Keep on bashing .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sounds pretty good!

RC Racer
    What size is the heat shrink you use?

Quote Originally Posted by all_rice View Post
    What size is the heat shrink you use?
    I have a variety of sizes of heat shrink...but for this mod I used 14.5mm diameter heat shrink cut 20mm long.
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation Bearing Maintenance

I haven't really done much bearing maintenance on the wheel bearings before...but I have done so on this rebuild.

I've been running my truck in a lot more dirt and wet conditions than before; I found that after about 2 months of this rebuild that my rear wheel bearings were seizing up from the dirt I was running in. Even tho they were brand new bearings at the time of the rebuild I ended up re-greasing to see how we go...Although I have spare bearings I wanted to see the impact that this grease had on the wheel bearings and running in loose dirt and wet conditions.

To my surprise they didn't collect as much dirt as I thought they would of. Here is a pic of the bearings I re-greased in October; as you can see, dirt collected on the outside of the rubber shield but still had a nice smooth rotation and did not feel gritty at all. They probably didn't need a re-grease but since they were out I cleaned and re-greased both ineer and outer rear bearings anyway.

To remove the shield from the bearing I used a Pit Knife...a thin blade will do the job as well. I prefer to use the inside diameter of the rubber seal to remove from the bearing.

I then gently proceeded to push the knifes handle towards the ground...the blade slides under the seal with ease...gentle pressure.

This easily enabling the seal to pop off.

I use RP7 as my all purpose maintenance spray and also to clean the bearings...I spray a generous amount to make sure all the dirt gets removed from the bearing.

This is the Red Mobil grease I have been using lately...(it must be good stuff, it's endorsed by NASCAR )

Inspection of the front wheel bearings showed signs that they were seizing too...from the wet conditions I have been running my truck in...(wet grass, mud, puddles of water etc.). With the rubber seals popped off I could see evidence of surface rust in the internals of the bearing. As said before in the beginning of this post, the rear bearings were still in good nick from been greased in October.

I pack the bearings full of grease on both sides as shown.

Pop the seal back on (I use my thumb nail to push the seal on and squeeze excess grease from the bearing)...Clean the bearing and you good to go.
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 12-30-2012 at 06:30 AM. Reason: I can't spell
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation Grass speed runs

Today I had the eRevo out for a bit...I was doing some speed runs with 21/58 gearing on 2/3s to see what temps my motor would reach. I ran my truck fairly hard; also the grass is a bit long in some sections so I will wait for council to come cut and try again.

I only ran 1 set of batteries; it was a lot of fun...I must stop been so brazened with my truck as I've come close to having a few broken ankles in the past from been silly like today...but none the least it was fun .

I shot this video footage myself as I had no one to film me today...also the kids have manage to break my phone over the festive season; the recording volume seems to be gone...all I get is this loud hissing sound.

Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's cool! What do you use to edit your videos?

Well, there she is in all her GLORY...it was a beautiful 36C here today already at 09H30. Meet Snappy the not so friendly snake; I had her out for a bit so she decided the eRevo would be a good place to perch for a while.

I thought it was worth the pics and to post .

Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation RC Park bash

I had the eRevo out at the local RC park where I live...ran 2 sets of 2/3s through the beast. I decided to try jump the fence before leaving...I wanted to back flip it...I'll leave that for another day .

Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Well, there she is in all her GLORY...it was a beautiful 36C here today already at 09H30. Meet Snappy the not so friendly snake; I had her out for a bit so she decided the eRevo would be a good place to perch for a while.

I thought it was worth the pics and to post .

Have you found you Peggy the Piggy or (don't remember the dogs name...)? Jake the snake? Sammy Slithers? hahaha, You aussies have the strangest pets and wildlife

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I was thinking about the epoxy for the bulkheads and remember using this stuff. Sounds like this would work better http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...poxy-Adhesives

Quote Originally Posted by Money pit View Post
    Have you found you Peggy the Piggy or (don't remember the dogs name...)? Jake the snake? Sammy Slithers? hahaha, You aussies have the strangest pets and wildlife
    That's snappy the snake!! I have always had a love for snakes...I don't know why. At one stage I use to have too but all I have is her now...she is a centralian python; 4 yrs old and 2 1/2 meters long. She wont get much longer and will probably get as thick as my forearm in years to come.

We do have some fairly strange and deadly wildlife here .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    Looks like to me the dealdliest wildlife there is the Erevo driver tempting the fate of the family jewels!

I was thinking about the epoxy for the bulkheads and remember using this stuff. Sounds like this would work better http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...poxy-Adhesives
    I tried to get that exact 3m epoxy when I first did this mod...A few of the places where you can buy from only sell in a minimum of 100 quantities. I tried to get work to purchase a box and buy 1 from them but they don't have a need for it, that's why I bought the other epoxy.

I don't use anything on the bulkheads anymore besides the hot glue in the bulk around the diff for added support of the diff. My bulks are holding up OK but the front one is cracked again. It happens within the first few speed runs and I haven't even been jumping my truck.

I found that in my experience the front diff does not sit in the bulkhead as well as the rear does and requires a lot more removal of material for the pinion to sit right. Each time I've replaced a bulkhead I have removed less material than before.

So far I have only replaced 2 front and 1 rear bulkhead. It's a lot better than replacing stripped gears all the time .
    Rock n Rolla !

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Looks like to me the dealdliest wildlife there is the Erevo driver tempting the fate of the family jewels!
    Edit: sorry mate...misunderstood you in the beginning, I think I know what you mean't...family jewels
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 01-04-2013 at 05:27 PM.
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation Single servo saver mod revisited

This washer mod method failed on me...single servo washer mod post #56

I know some guys are using it with no issues (or no reported issues with the mod). For the mod I choose to use an M10 washer in the cap end of the servo saver. I used a belt sander to shape so it would fit...I think others use an M6 washer on top of the servo arm then the spring.

Here is a short vid showing the play my steering servo had developed...it was driving me crazy as my truck was all over the place and would not steer straight under hard acceleration.

I ended up replacing the stock servo saver with the STRC aluminium servo saver...it comes with a dual arm which I did not need as I had the single steering arm already.

Complete Steering Servo Saver Assembly # ST5344S

I ended up re-using the washer and heavy duty spring # 5344X in this servo saver. It was a nice tight fit...I swopped this over about a month back and is still going strong. I should of done this method in the beginning ...my truck is steering better than ever now .

Nice and shinny...ready to be installed and I do like the look of the silver.

While I was at it I re-greased the bearings too.

All in place...I've been one happy basher again for some time now .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    On mine I used the 5344x spring and single arm great steering response. Been looking for the aluminum 5344s
    Always like your posts and ideas!

RC Qualifier
    hey craig i was working on this guys car down coomera way last week when i turned up one day and he had a erevo
    his friend had one too so i said hey i got one of those
    so after i worked for a day on his car i went and picked up mine and three of us went to the bmx / skate parkin coomera near the lost city
    heaps of jumps and some are huge and the other guys were getting huge air and flips
    bit run down but its good for our revos
    pity i stuffed a servo pretty quickly and that played up my esc
    will fix my erevo soona nd get back out there in afew weeks

RC Qualifier
    That's snappy the snake!! I have always had a love for snakes...I don't know why. At one stage I use to have too but all I have is her now...she is a centralian python; 4 yrs old and 2 1/2 meters long. She wont get much longer and will probably get as thick as my forearm in years to come.

We do have some fairly strange and deadly wildlife here .
    I beleive my brother in law had something similar to that, now he has a rosey boa and it is older than me!

RC Champion
    Edit: sorry mate...misunderstood you in the beginning, I think I know what you mean't...family jewels
    Closest I could come without getting an infraction! LOL
    Lets just say it would really stink if the truck decided to wheelie about the time it was passing between your legs!

RC Racer
    Hey Craig,
    I recently bought a set of the Titanium Nitride Ring and Pinion set for the LST2 diff and they stripped in my second run of using my ERBE
    I noticed that there was a lot of play and movement within the bulkhead which was also broken, would this have any effect on the diffs being able to strip so easily?

RC poster
    Hi my mate's and I have all just brought e revos, 4 of them. I was just seeing if you could let me know the cheapest place for parts that you buy from. We are in Newcastle Australia and our local hobby shop is quiet expensive. We have ordered some parts from phils hobby shop in the state's but are always after good deals. Any help would be appreciated.