Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Exclamation Losi LST2 diff drive axial MOD

I have been getting a lot of PM's lately about this mod and how it works and fits together; I thought I would post the details here for everyone as I recently rebuilt my diffs after inspecting them.

This should be read in conjunction with Post #26...a lot of the questions have been what happens from here and how does it fit together.

Traxxas Part #5454

I hack sawed the threaded end off and then grinded down so that the drive axial was a length of 22.25mm. I also chamfered the sharp edge so it was nice and smooth fit in the diff cup.

When installing in the diff, this is what I did.

I fitted the pin which I took from LOSI LOSB3540 Differential Outdrive Set...(I only needed the pin for the traxxas drive axle); I then put 1 x 6mm shim and the o-ring.

This is how it fits to the spider gear. Their is a recess in the back of the spider gear to accommodate the pin.

In the view below you can see the stub axial protruding slightly out of the spider gear...this is the side I cut the tread off and chamfered to remove the sharp edge. If you insert the Losi drive cup it protrudes something similar.

The end result...this is what it looks like when the spider gears and internal crossbars and spacers; diff cup and ring gear are assembled together .

Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation Losi LST diffs part list

Some of the questions that have been asked in the PM's I have received are the parts I used to build the diffs.

I created a part list for your info:

• 2 x Losi LOSB3532 Blue Aluminum Differential Case
    • 2 x Losi LOSB3528 Heavy Duty Differential Cup
    • 2 x Losi LOSB3534 Differential Ring & Pinion
    • 2 x Losi LOSB3538 Differential Bevel Gears
    • 2 x Losi LOSB3541 Differential Drive Yoke because I used the traxxas centre CVD
    • 2 x Losi LOSB3523 CV Driveshaft Rebuild Set for the yoke
    • 2 x Losi LOSB3540 Differential Outdrive Set I only needed the pin for the traxxas stub axle
    • 2 x Losi LOSA6942 Sealed Ball-Bearings 4/diff
    • 1 x Dub2108 Du-Bro Flat Washer 2.5mm for the yoke to attach to centre cvd conversion
    • 1 x KYO96644 Kyosho 8 X 10mm Shim Set you need 8mm shims for this diff and 6mm
    • 2 x Traxxas 5454 Steel Stub Axles if you using traxxas cvd's
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
    Still waiting on parts to arrive...I thought I would include this in my new build thread.

Where I live it rains quite a bit and have sweltering humid summers. I am not a big fan of the outwears shroud so I went the Plasti Dip route. Note* Doing this mod to your ESC will void your warranty.

First of all I cut the switch off...I kept having problems with it. This way I am forced to unplug my batteries when finished using my truck. I just soldered the 2 wires together to bypass the switch.

I then went and used electrical tape to cover the heat sink and plugs to protect while coating with Plasti Dip:

My advice is don't coat to thick or you will have issues trying to fit the ESC back into the cover.

This has proven to be very successful in running in wet conditions with no issues what so ever. I knowingly can go drive my truck with confidence now and not worry about killing my ESC.

I have been running this mod for about 5 months now with no heat issues or any issues with my ESC
    Doing this mod tomorrow bro. I got my hands on a cheap Mamba monster ESC , so I will use that to build my weather proof erbe. I bought black plastic dip, but I am tempted to take it back and exchange it for the red, since it will reveal the spots that need to be coated better than black. What do you think ?

Quote Originally Posted by Revoroller View Post
    Doing this mod tomorrow bro. I got my hands on a cheap Mamba monster ESC , so I will use that to build my weather proof erbe. I bought black plastic dip, but I am tempted to take it back and exchange it for the red, since it will reveal the spots that need to be coated better than black. What do you think ?
    You wont regret the mod bro...I've never submerged my ESC totally in water but have played in wet conditions with no issues whatsoever (It can rain for days on end here in Brisbane sometimes and a lot in summer); playing in wet grass or mud has never been an issue. Red was the only colour I could get at the time of the mod. Red you will probably see easier when doing.

My advice is coat it thin or you wont get your ESC back in its case...I need to do my new servo as its not waterproof...I think its splash resistant.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    i'll second that! great work buds...
    Quote Originally Posted by BAD RC View Post
    This thread should be in a magazine! I don't own a ERBE, but your tech write up is AWESOME!!!
    if you're not fast, you're last.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
    You wont regret the mod bro...I've never submerged my ESC totally in water but have played in wet conditions with no issues whatsoever (It can rain for days on end here in Brisbane sometimes and a lot in summer); playing in wet grass or mud has never been an issue. Red was the only colour I could get at the time of the mod. Red you will probably see easier when doing.

My advice is coat it thin or you wont get your ESC back in its case...I need to do my new servo as its not waterproof...I think its splash resistant.
    Thanks bro!

Quote Originally Posted by kevfrostbite View Post
    i'll second that! great work buds...
    Cheers mate...I'm glad you find the info provided useful .
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation D-Day LST2 diff test 3

This is a continuation of post #146

This is video footage from 24/09/2012 which is what I called test 3.

At the end of the video I show you the race temp strip so you can get an idea of temps reached with 19/58 gearing.

I did a solid set of battery run with 2/3s from start to finish; the truck never had a break until the end...I was testing the impact the 19 pinion had with motor temps.

Esc settings were changed from original settings from the first test.

Punch set @ 30% and toque control set @ 7.5.

This is some skate park bashing and grass speed runs.
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 10-22-2012 at 02:42 AM.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    Where did the heatsink come from?
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    Where did the heatsink come from?
    G'day mate...I got the heatsink off eBay from ToadzRC
    X Spede Red Clip-on Motor Heat Sink EMX103802
    Rock n Rolla !

Just to give some feed back from the video in post #168.

I bashed my eRevo unbelievably hard that day...I pushed its limits harder than I ever have before; its unfortunate that I never had more footage of some of the big air and huge back flips that I pulled off.

So far my truck has held up well to the demands I have put on it...I feel the mods have been a very worthy upgrade for my style of bashing.
    Rock n Rolla !

This is my next project on the go...I got inspired by all the eSlayer builds in the eRevo brushed section a few months back when they caught my attention...especially Cameron's build.

Thanks to Cameron for the few PM's we exchanged a couple months back and for pointing me in the right direction.

I have now been sitting on these parts for the last couple months; I was going to build this back then but decided to give my eRevo a much needed overhaul. Now that my eRevo is finally strong enough for the way I like to bash it, and its fantastic to be able to pack it away after a good bashing session; and not have to wrench it because something gave in.

I hope you guys have enjoyed the videos I have made; this shows you what us guys in Australia get up to...As their is a lot of time in editing these videos to get the end result, I do appreciate the time you have taken out to watch.

Please note that this is not how I bash my truck all the time...its just every now and then I get the urge to bash big air and back flips at BMX tracks and skate parks as I do miss riding my KX250; sometimes these sessions do not end very well although they are exhilarating.

A lot of the times I am bashing on dirt trails in the Forest or open grass fields to doing speed runs on the road.

I still have a few comments and thought I am going to post; plus 1 more video which I called test 4. These test videos were purely made to give you an indication of what I put this build through before I gave you my final verdict on these upgrades.

Now that my eRevo is finally at a stage that I am happy with it, I feel its now time to move onto my next project as I get bored very quickly...I will call this project: MITCH316 eSlay-Revo build. I dyed this chassis black the same time I did my eRevo chassis back in mid August...

Last edited by craig.mitch316; 10-23-2012 at 05:21 PM. Reason: I can't spell
    Rock n Rolla !

I'm pretty stocked...just received this in the mail. I have decided to give Badlands a try as lately I have been bashing on a lot more dirt than ever before.

I don't know why I didn't try these earlier as they look pretty good. I will mount them on black Desperados with 1/2" offset...still waiting on the rims to arrive; as always shipping to Australia takes forever at times.

I am really looking forward to trying these Badlands out...as usual I will give some feed back once I have tested them out .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    love the video...u bash ur truck pretty hard...those are some monstrous jumps...

will patiently await your progress on this new build...hopefully it stays in this thread?...if u do move it to another thread i'll look out for it...(hopefully not another section of the forum?)

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    mate your not the only one that have not tried that tires atleast you got some now lol. i might get a set of those and mount it on geode wheels, i like the 1/2 offset gives it a wider stand.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |_________________ |

RC Qualifier
    Hey mate, greetings from Phuket. See the slayer build starting, sweet! Should be ready just in time for when I am back
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    mate your not the only one that have not tried that tires atleast you got some now lol. i might get a set of those and mount it on geode wheels, i like the 1/2 offset gives it a wider stand.
    I thought I would post Geode rims for the folks that don't know what they look like. I have had these lying around for ages and have never used them. I often use them to initially set up my camber when servicing my truck.

This is what they would look like on Geode rims...as you can see the 1/2" offset in the rim.

I think if you removed the chrome finish off the rim with some oven cleaner or good de-greasing agent that these rims would look pretty sweet.

I plan on mounting these to black Desperado's with 1/2" offset as I do like the look of the Desperado rim .
    Rock n Rolla !

it takes two ppl, you and 87 GN to realy want me to buy them lol. putting this on my to buy list.

Quote Originally Posted by IvVaum View Post
    love the video...u bash ur truck pretty hard...those are some monstrous jumps...

will patiently await your progress on this new build...hopefully it stays in this thread?...if u do move it to another thread i'll look out for it...(hopefully not another section of the forum?)
    Thanks IvVaum...I appreciate it mate; I'm glad you liked it .
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation Bashing Pics

I just wanted to share some pictures of me bashing my truck at my local spots

All these photos are snap shots taken from my 3 LST2 Diff Test videos I made...I really enjoyed making these videos for all to see .
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation Back Flip

I love doing back flips with my truck...I'm always trying to back flip just about every jump I try. Here are some snap shots from my LST2 Diff Test #4 video the I will be posting in the next week or so; doing a back flip over a grass mound.

HAPPY BASHING!!!
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    this is a wicked image...i can't even imagine my truck going that high and surviving...

I agree^^^ that is some serious height, almost like a kite flying lol.

Quote Originally Posted by IvVaum View Post
    this is a wicked image...i can't even imagine my truck going that high and surviving...
    I agree^^^ that is some serious height, almost like a kite flying lol.
    Thanks guys...making these videos and the tests I performed on the upgrades made me push my truck harder than ever before; the end result is that this is the most monstrous and gnarliest I have ever bashed my truck. I think every upgrade I did was worth the time and effort spent on this build

I appreciate the feedback and the time taken to read through my thread...
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation D-Day LST2 diff test 4

This is a continuation of post #146 & post #168

This is video footage from 27/09/2012 which is what I called test 4. This is the final video I made of the so called tests I put this build through...And I have been enjoying my truck ever since .

This is shot at Rock Lea Skate Park...Its an old abandoned BMX jumps; grass has grown over just about all the jumps.

I went through 2 sets of 2/3s battery packs over a 2 hour period of bashing. I am still running 19/58 gearing with my Punch set @ 30% and toque control set @ 7.5 in this video.

This is some of the bashing I got up to...

Rock n Rolla !

i have to say, you sure know how to torture your rig to the extreme and still come home in one piece

RC Racer
    Very nice pics/ video

i have to say, you sure know how to torture your rig to the extreme and still come home in one piece
    Thanks mate...its taken months of trial and error to get too where my truck is now. I am really happy with the way it is handling and performing right now.

I have changed a few things from what I have originally posted but those details I will post later on; a bit more fine tuning and tweaking and I think I am there. All these videos so far are as per the settings in my thread.

My mind keeps racing through my eSlayer build and what needs to be done at the moment.

Heading to the North Coast for my Bday with the famdam this weekend; I also have to keep my wife happy ...I will get around to the eSlayer in the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by rcdude4051 View Post
    Very nice pics/ video
    Cheers mate .
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 10-31-2012 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Rock n Rolla !

Just to give some feed back from the video in post #182.

Making these test videos to show you how well the upgrades are holding up has made ME bash my eRevo unbelievably hard ; which is a good thing!!...As I have said in my previous posts about these videos, the limits of my truck have been pushed to the extreme; as always you don't get all the video footage of what you set out to do. This is just some of the bashing we got up to that day at Rock Lea.

Again...my truck has held up well to the demands I have put on it and certainly feel the mods have been a very worthy upgrade for my style of bashing .

I appreciate the time you have taken to read through my build thread and feedback received...I hope you have enjoyed the videos so far .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Enthusiast
    Brother you are one serious builder
    IF IT AINT BROKE
    YOU AINT BASHIN

RC poster
    would it be possible for you to create a lst2 diff conversion kit and sell them and ship them to all of us e revo owners that would like that. That would be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by nitroroosta View Post
    Brother you are one serious builder
    Cheers mate...I have always been a tinkerer from small .
    Rock n Rolla !

Quote Originally Posted by easyeatlanta View Post
    would it be possible for you to create a lst2 diff conversion kit and sell them and ship them to all of us e revo owners that would like that. That would be awesome
    Thanks for your feedback mate but I cant take all the credit; a lot of the info for the conversion came from other members on the forum...but the thought has crossed my mind.

I have been toying with the idea of modelling the traxxas bulkheads to fit the Losi diff in SolidWorks; the only mod necessary would be trimming back the chassis to fit the diff.

That's a topic for another day .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    i'd buy a set of already modded working lst2 diff if u do it...name ur price and i'm there...

RC poster
    since posting that i have completely destroyed both of my diffs so Im really looking for a solution, might have to give the diff conversion a whirl myself, but already built ones would be awesome

RC Qualifier
    Hey Mate, nice to see the vid's up. As we know talk is cheap and sometimes those that cannot do try to teach. At least you basing your teach on actual practical experience.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

looks like you can open a store for modding ls2 diffs now mate. i know pictures speaks for itself on how 2 fit ls2 on revo bulks but, video speaks clearly

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I like threads like this where you pick up some great ideas and give some much due complements!

Quote Originally Posted by Mugs View Post
    Hey Mate, nice to see the vid's up. As we know talk is cheap and sometimes those that cannot do try to teach. At least you basing your teach on actual practical experience.
    looks like you can open a store for modding ls2 diffs now mate. i know pictures speaks for itself on how 2 fit ls2 on revo bulks but, video speaks clearly
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    I like threads like this where you pick up some great ideas and give some much due complements!
    Thanks guys .
    Rock n Rolla !

Here are some of the trucks I have been wrenching this year between my mates & myself...eRevo; eMaxx; Summit and Slash 4x4.

That's my son in the picture...I often get the impression that he thinks these are his trucks; I caught him wrenching in the act .

Last edited by craig.mitch316; 11-10-2012 at 04:32 AM.
    Rock n Rolla !