Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Exclamation Grass park speed bash session on 2/2s

You can find my video post for this thread here:

This is an old video before I rebuilt my truck...post #78 Skate park bash...and these are the videos I made to show what I put my upgrades and LST2 diff thru...post#146 LST2 Diff test 1; post #168 LST2 Diff Test 3 & post #185 LST2 Diff Test 4.

The video below was filmed sometime back (5 or 6 weeks ago)...I had got myself a new set batteries for my Summit; 2/2s and thought I would give them a try in my eRevo. This is one of the few times I have run 2/2s in my truck as I normally run 2/3s.

This is a little park at the start of the forest area where I live; its about a 5 minute walk from the house...Most of the time I like to bash my truck more like this and normally head out after work with my son to burn a set of batteries.

Generally I like to full throttle my truck from start to finish with not much resting in between; just going out and having a blast.

I have my truck temperatures under control and know what gearing works best for me and when to use it .

Last edited by craig.mitch316; 11-10-2012 at 05:21 PM. Reason: I can't spell
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    that is just so wrong...u made that little boy chase ur car all over the place...ha ha...

now that is how i run my truck...nice and safe...no big air...just chasing chickens all over the yard...(and was still able to break a diff)...

RC Competitor
    You can deffo tell that is AU, gum leaves all over the ground haha! Mad powerslide at 1:46 and that was almost loss of toenail at 1:58 haha!

Quote Originally Posted by IvVaum View Post
    that is just so wrong...u made that little boy chase ur car all over the place...ha ha...

now that is how i run my truck...nice and safe...no big air...just chasing chickens all over the yard...(and was still able to break a diff)...
    Yeah mate...that's my son; he goes crazy when he sees the trucks come out . I bash my truck probably 65% of the time like this and the rest doing crazy jumps .

Quote Originally Posted by Deisel View Post
    You can deffo tell that is AU, gum leaves all over the ground haha! Mad powerslide at 1:46 and that was almost loss of toenail at 1:58 haha!
    Thanks Diesel...I have had some gnarly bails of the truck slamming into me while bashing around on the dirt; its all good fun tho .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC poster
    Hi, Great thread by the way, very informative.
    My question is I saw that you were using the maximizer wheels with 3.8" tires. Are your wheels 3.2"? If so how did you mount the 3.8" wheels, was it hard? can I use any 3.8" tire? If your wheels are 3.8" where did you get them?

RC poster
    Hello, great thread by the way, very informative. My questions are for your maximizer wheels. I see that you have 3.8" tires on the maximizer wheel. Is your wheel a 3.2" or a 3.8" wheel? If it is a 3.2" how did you get a 3.8" tire on it? If it is a 3.8" wheel, where did you get it. I have the 3.2" and can't find a 3.8" wheel. And 3.2" tires are scarce.

Quote Originally Posted by knoxsville View Post
    Hi, Great thread by the way, very informative.
    My question is I saw that you were using the maximizer wheels with 3.8" tires. Are your wheels 3.2"? If so how did you mount the 3.8" wheels, was it hard? can I use any 3.8" tire? If your wheels are 3.8" where did you get them?
    Quote Originally Posted by knoxsville View Post
    Hello, great thread by the way, very informative. My questions are for your maximizer wheels. I see that you have 3.8" tires on the maximizer wheel. Is your wheel a 3.2" or a 3.8" wheel? If it is a 3.2" how did you get a 3.8" tire on it? If it is a 3.8" wheel, where did you get it. I have the 3.2" and can't find a 3.8" wheel. And 3.2" tires are scarce.
    Thanks mate...These are the Maximizers #1736 I am using...They are 3.2" meaning the outer diameter of the rim is 3.2" or 81mm which is almost the same as the internal diameter of a 3.8" tyre.

I have HPI Dirt Claws and HPI GT2's on Maximizer rims. I think you will find that quite a few 3.8's will fit these rims...just check the tyres specs and compare them to the Maximizer rims...Internal diameter and width. I hope that helps you out.
    Rock n Rolla !

I finally had a chance last night to mount my Badlland tyres on the black Desperado rims I got for my tuck...I taped them twice round with a 1/4" overlap. You can read post #91 for the method I use for gorilla taping tyres and post #97 for wheel balancing.

Here are some pics of my truck with the Badlands and Desperado rims.

As you can see the Desperado rims have a 1/2" offset...I personally prefer rims with an offset in them.

I took my truck out for a burn today, I ran 2 sets of 2/3s...what can I say; this tyre and rim combo is awesome, I wish I had got these sooner.

I have not yet balanced these wheels but will do so during the course of the week .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    Have to agree with you those wheels with half inch offset really fit the look of the revo. Just got 2 sets of those wheels myself, one for pro line trenches and one for proline road rage.

Taking it out on the road tyres tomorrow.

This is a re-make of all my LST2 diff test videos in my thread...I took out my favourite bits and made into 1 video...Enjoy guys .

Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Badlands looking good. Keen to see how they will perform on some dirt.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

Exclamation LST2 front diff gear replacement

This is a continuation from post #155

While out bashing my truck yesterday I heard the tale tell signs of a stripped diff...I knew it was the front diff from the recent inspection I had done on my diffs.

I am using this ring and pinion in the front diff...we will see how much life I get out of it this time.

The new LOSB3535 Ti-Nitride Ring and Pinion gear set

This is the front diff pinion gear at the time of inspection.

And here is a comparison of the new pinion to the old one...as you can see the tales on the pinion gear are almost non-existent.

This is the front diff ring gear at the time of inspection.

And here is a comparison of the new ring gear to the old one.

Diff is shimmed correctly and closed up...ready for the next bashing session .
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 11-19-2012 at 03:11 PM.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    Can you let me know how these gears hold up?

Quote Originally Posted by phsycophantsy View Post
    Can you let me know how these gears hold up?
    No worries mate...I am rather impressed with the Losi mod and the standard hardened gears you get...they lasted a lot longer than I thought.

I tried my best to strip a diff to see if all the hype was worth the effort. The wear and tear to the front diff is due to my driving style...hopefully the new gear will give me a lot longer use.

I am no longer driving my truck the way I was while doing those tests...hard acceleration and braking.

I am very happy so far with the Losi mod .
    Rock n Rolla !

I have broken a couple front bulk heads since doing the Losi mod...it seems to be the weakness in the whole diff conversion.

I dremeled out a new front bulk...my dremmeling skills are getting pretty good now. This took me about 30min to do and was done a lot better than before.

Right side.

Left side.

I also inspected the centre drive shaft mod when I replaced the front diff ring and pinion. For the mod read post #27

The mod looks exactly like the day I did it and still holding up strong and showing no signs of wear.
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 11-24-2012 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Added info.
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation Broken parts list

Just to give some feedback...I thought I would share this info for those who followed my build thread...what I originally set out to do I achieved...not to strip a diff or break an A-Arm every time I went a bit crazy with my truck .

The diffs are probably the best upgrade I have done...I have only replaced the front pinion and ring gear...this is because of my driving style during the testing stages; I tried really hard to see how long it would take to strip or break a diff.

My bashing sessions aren't always glorious and sometimes end in disaster...I have had a couple of those of late. Bashing like I do will eventually break some parts on your truck.

Here is my broken parts from the past few months:
    • 2 x Front bulkheads
    • Front skid plate
    • Front left P2 rocker
    • Rear right P2 rocker
    • Old slipper worn resulting in spur gear melt down
    • 2 x wings
    • A few drive shafts

Amongst all these broken parts the diffs and A-Arms are holding up fine .

I am happy to pay for playing the way I do...
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Competitor
    WOW.....what do you do to that truck :O hahaha, how'd you end up doing all that?

Around June this year the council bulldozed our local track...they ended up building a new track and drag strip. I call the new track freestyle mayhem as their is no particular course laid out and looks more like a freestyle dirt track now.

Here are some photos.

Rock n Rolla !

Quote Originally Posted by crashproff View Post
    WOW.....what do you do to that truck :O hahaha, how'd you end up doing all that?
    Not all of that was done in one go...its been over the past few months. I suppose nothing is bulletproof when you trying to jump over 20ft high ...as said, a few of my bash sessions have ended in disaster lately .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Competitor
    nahh, i just upgraded my arms to rpm and a integy (holding up really well, that's a first for integy)rear bulk modded to fit an lst diffs
    and for the front i used sellys liquid nails and smeared it all over the front bulk and now it hasn't broken since and i've crash this thing into poles at near full throttle nothing apart from maybe a broken bumper and front body mount broke. Oh alomost forgot front chassis brace.

RC Enthusiast
    I put some epoxy inside the bulkhead and while it was still pliable I put the lst's in and clamped the bulks together. I put some shink wrap around the diffs to keep from sticking. When it was dry I took em apart and the end result was a nice tight diff in the bulk as well as making the bulk a bit stronger, haven't broke one yet! oops just jinked myself. LOL

RC Enthusiast
    Another note: I've broken 3-4 LST rear diffs but have yet to break the front one. That was when I was Mashing it on pavement with street tires and a super tight slipper. Curious how you break the front diffs? Hard on brakes? Landing big jumps? Jinked again!

nahh, i just upgraded my arms to rpm and a integy (holding up really well, that's a first for integy)rear bulk modded to fit an lst diffs
    and for the front i used sellys liquid nails and smeared it all over the front bulk and now it hasn't broken since and i've crash this thing into poles at near full throttle nothing apart from maybe a broken bumper and front body mount broke. Oh alomost forgot front chassis brace.
    I saw you went integy bulkheads...I'm glad they working out for you mate .
    Rock n Rolla !

Quote Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
    I put some epoxy inside the bulkhead and while it was still pliable I put the lst's in and clamped the bulks together. I put some shink wrap around the diffs to keep from sticking. When it was dry I took em apart and the end result was a nice tight diff in the bulk as well as making the bulk a bit stronger, haven't broke one yet! oops just jinked myself. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
    Another note: I've broken 3-4 LST rear diffs but have yet to break the front one. That was when I was Mashing it on pavement with street tires and a super tight slipper. Curious how you break the front diffs? Hard on brakes? Landing big jumps? Jinked again!
    With regards to the LST diff, I work with a guy who has a lathe at home...I'm looking at machining the diff case slightly to fit in the bulkhead better. Not remove to much material, it will require less dremeling of the bulk.

In all honesty...I don't think it really matters what I do; when you bash like I do and jumping your truck over 20ft high it is inevitable that things are going to eventually fail...I drop hot glue in my bulks around my diff once in place to fill up the gaps.

The front diff wore because of heavy breaking at full throttle...as said in previous post I tried my best to strip these diffs...I wanted to see if all the hype about the mod was true.

I can confidently say that from my experience is that if you are stripping diffs the losi LST mod is the way to go. I now have more hours of fun than wrenching .

The broken parts list was to show the people that were following my thread and who watched my videos...they were able to see what I am doing with my truck and how the upgrade held up. As we say seeing is believing .

I am happy with how long the bulks held up considering what I put them under .
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation Freestyle mayhem bashing

This is a continuation of post #218. Here's a short video I made of me bashing my truck at what I now call the freestyle mayhem track. There is no course laid out and is a free for all when busy.

Council kindly bulldozed the old one down and built this instead. Its a clay track; its been raining here a fair bit so was really muddy and sloppy in some bits.

Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    ^ LOL at :41!!! You haven't lived if you haven't had a 12 lb truck flying at your face!!!

I don't feel nearly as guilty abusing my truck after watching a good bashing like the one above.

Mitch im glad those LST diffs are working for you. These diffs are indeed the real deal. Since running these Losi diffs, I have stripped 1 set of diff gears and got 1 leaky cup. Im not complaining though since it was from a hard crash with a cement ditch culvert, and i reuse'd the parts for a good 3 months until stripping.

Great Thread!
    Its All relative to your perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by anr2442 View Post
    ^ LOL at :41!!! You haven't lived if you haven't had a 12 lb truck flying at your face!!!

I don't feel nearly as guilty abusing my truck after watching a good bashing like the one above.

Mitch im glad those LST diffs are working for you. These diffs are indeed the real deal. Since running these Losi diffs, I have stripped 1 set of diff gears and got 1 leaky cup. Im not complaining though since it was from a hard crash with a cement ditch culvert, and i reuse'd the parts for a good 3 months until stripping.

Great Thread!
    Cheers mate...thanks for the feedback. The Losi mod has held up well to my abuse I put my truck under...I enjoy bashing my eRevo so much more now .

That scene at 41s in the video was the first time we have caught the truck almost smashing into me on camera...I have had a few unlucky mishaps in the past, the worst been a smashed ankle...I thought the eRevo kindly broke it for me . Its true what you say; "You haven't lived if you haven't had a 12 lb truck flying at your face!!!"...ain't that the truth.

I will keep my thread updated as I make more vids .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
    So I have decided to try RPM Axle Carriers. I found that there is nothing wrong with stock carriers, except for me the bearings never seemed to last.

Here is a comparison of stock bearings to RPM.
    RPM left / Stock right

As you can see the RPM bearings have a lot more surface area...in theory these bearings should be able to take more forces that they are subjected to over stock. Greater surface area = less stress on the bearing.

Here is a comparison of stock axle carriers to RPM.

RPM left / Stock right

I have heard that the pivot balls pull out of the RPM axles, it is a weak point of theirs. Thanks to danielhr77 for this bit of info...I took the stock axle carriers and removed the retainer ring with a xacto knife.

I then pressed the retainer ring onto the RPM axle carrier (knuckle)...it fitted no problem and is a press fit.

I then fitted the stock pivot ball dust boots and rings along with the rubber caps that fit into the pivot ball cap onto the RPM axle carriers.

I haven't tested these axles yet but will give some feed back after a few hard bashing sessions
    I did this trick on my revo but took apart my e maxx and they don't have the ring!

RC poster
    I keep breaking the pin in the losi drive cup part number losb3541. Do you know something else that will work or how to reinforce them and how well did the ti nitride gears work after? I am thinking about getting a set but don't know if they are worth the extra cash.

RC Racer
    craig.mitch316,

sunday i took my revo out for a spin not any jumps just concrete and short grass. well it broke on me and i was curious if you had ever seen anything like this but sadly i didnt take any pics before hand. anyway ive done the lst diffs in mine and use the traxxas center cvd shafts just like yours. losi yoke, small washer on each side with heat shink to hold the pin in. well after a few end over end tumbles i noticed i wasnt getting power to the rear diff so it was fwd. when i got home and tore it down i noticed the one of my summit drive shaft cv joint had broken also. so my guess was cv broke put a bind on the drive line and snapped the pin in the yoke. i got the center shaft out and the heat shrink around the yoke is fine except for a small little hole where it looks like the pin came out. it literaly looks the the pin ate its way out or burned a hole through it. and i havent found any remains of the pin.

Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    I did this trick on my revo but took apart my e maxx and they don't have the ring!
    We noticed that on my mates eMaxx...his pivot balls kept popping out on the front axle carriers (knuckles)...on closer inspection we noticed it didn't have the steel ring.

The eMaxx axle carriers part #5334 and the eRevo #5334R...the other thing we noticed is that the eMaxx outer bearing is a 6x12mm whereas the eRevo is a 6x13mm.

We ended up putting the eRevo axle carriers on all 4's...his never had a problem since.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by hickbran View Post
    I keep breaking the pin in the losi drive cup part number losb3541. Do you know something else that will work or how to reinforce them and how well did the ti nitride gears work after? I am thinking about getting a set but don't know if they are worth the extra cash.
    i had that same problem, i just used hpi part 86054 for the driveline and hpi part 86277 much more durable.

I keep breaking the pin in the losi drive cup part number losb3541. Do you know something else that will work or how to reinforce them
    Quote Originally Posted by black67stang View Post
    anyway ive done the lst diffs in mine and use the traxxas center cvd shafts just like yours. losi yoke, small washer on each side with heat shink to hold the pin in. well after a few end over end tumbles i noticed i wasnt getting power to the rear diff so it was fwd. when i got home and tore it down i noticed the one of my summit drive shaft cv joint had broken also. so my guess was cv broke put a bind on the drive line and snapped the pin in the yoke. i got the center shaft out and the heat shrink around the yoke is fine except for a small little hole where it looks like the pin came out. it literaly looks the the pin ate its way out or burned a hole through it. and i havent found any remains of the pin.
    I haven't had any issues with mine...I recently inspected front and rear centre drive shafts and they look as good as the day they were modded. I will open up the centre skid plate again and have a look but on examination last week my centre drive shafts were showing no signs of wear. Their is no slop either in the Losi yolk.

Did you guys grease that area?? It could be a possibility for failure...what else comes to mind is that maybe your diff is not sitting right in the bulk causing the centre drive shaft to be at a slight angle and putting stress on the Losi yolk...IDK; I'm thinking out loud.

i had that same problem, i just used hpi part 86054 for the driveline and hpi part 86277 much more durable.
    Once again, thanks for the info mate...this may be the solution to the above problem ...I may explore this avenue if my centre drive shafts fail .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC poster
    That might have been the problem. I never greased the yoke or pin when i installed it but it could also be how my diff is sitting in the bulkhead. would you be able to upload a few pictures of how the diff is suppose to sit in the bulkhead. It would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks for the info.

RC Racer
    im sure i got a few more of the losi pins i bought some spares lol. ill grease them this go around since i havent before. if it goes again ill look into the hpi route.

RC poster
    what is the hpi way of doing it?

RC poster
    here is a picture of the cup that keeps on cracking. the pin isn't cracked though so i have no clue how it happened.

RC poster
    i was wondering how would the cup connect to the end of the losi diff because on the diff there is no hole for a screw to go through but instead a grub screw to hold it in place and would it be the same length?

what is the hpi way of doing it?
    here is a picture of the cup that keeps on cracking. the pin isn't cracked though so i have no clue how it happened.
    i was wondering how would the cup connect to the end of the losi diff because on the diff there is no hole for a screw to go through but instead a grub screw to hold it in place and would it be the same length?
    I am not sure of this MOD...I have never explored the option...I have PM'd crashproff for details .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post

Dude, you are one seriously insane basher ...I can't believe that these photos are real...until you watch your video clips.

I haven't seen anyone else here bashing their truck like that...you guys in Australia are crazy .

This is a very well documented and detailed thread on the Losi mod and rebuild of your truck...How is this mod and upgrades holding up? as I am thinking of rebuilding my rig similar to yours.

Keep those videos coming...you must have loads of time on your hands with all these builds and videos you make .