Hybrid View

RC poster

Traxxas #2843 5800MAH 2S Charging Questions

hello, i just bought my son the traxxas 30th anniversary grave digger for his birthday and decided to pick up the traxxas #2843 battery as it is showing it as the best battery for this truck in the book i got with it. i also picked up the EX Peak Plus #2933 Charger. the electric r/c world has changed a lot since i've ran electric vehicles and i am completely in the dark when it comes to dealing with the lipo batteries.

first off i know to set the ESC to green for the LVD, to charge & store the batteries in a lipo bag but i do have a lot of questions. i have read over the forums and couldn't find specific answers for a lot of them or too many different answers so here goes.
    1. what charge settings should i set my #2933 charger for as far as amps? i am guessing it would 5.8 amps?
    2. would i have to divide that in half if i were to balance charge the battery?
    3. should i always balance charge the battery or should i do it every few cycles??

the info that came with the battery mentioned charging and discharging the battery for 5 or more cycles to get maximum life and performance from the battery so......
    4. should i put this battery on the charge/discharge setting and let it run through a few cycles before using it??
    5. what should my settings be for the charge/discharge cycle as for amps etc. ??

it mentions not letting the battery discharge below 70% of the batteries C rate which would be 145 amps if i am correct?
    6. will the charger prevent it from discharging below 70% of the C rate or must i do something in the settings? if so what should those settings be?
    7. when my son is running the truck, how will i know when it is time to stop running it and charge the battery? my concern is when he would be running the truck when i am not home. is there a specific sign that i could tell my wife to look for?? i've read threads that say as soon as you notice the truck starting to slow down?
    8. how long can i keep the battery fully charged?
    9. what should my settings be for the storage mode on the charger and how long can i store the battery after using this setting??
    10. is there anything else i should know or do when delaing with the lipo batteries?? if so please let me know.
    thanks all in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by crday06 View Post
    hello, i just bought my son the traxxas 30th anniversary grave digger for his birthday and decided to pick up the traxxas #2843 battery as it is showing it as the best battery for this truck in the book i got with it. i also picked up the EX Peak Plus #2933 Charger. the electric r/c world has changed a lot since i've ran electric vehicles and i am completely in the dark when it comes to dealing with the lipo batteries.

first off i know to set the ESC to green for the LVD, to charge & store the batteries in a lipo bag but i do have a lot of questions. i have read over the forums and couldn't find specific answers for a lot of them or too many different answers so here goes.
    1. what charge settings should i set my #2933 charger for as far as amps? i am guessing it would 5.8 amps? All Traxxas LiPos can be charged at 1C (5.8A in your case) with a maximum charge rate of 2C (11.6A in your case.) Charging @ 6A will be fine.
    2. would i have to divide that in half if i were to balance charge the battery? No, balancing happens during the charge with small amounts of current bled off from higher-voltage cells.
    3. should i always balance charge the battery or should i do it every few cycles?? Always, per the Traxxas recommendation.

the info that came with the battery mentioned charging and discharging the battery for 5 or more cycles to get maximum life and performance from the battery so......
    4. should i put this battery on the charge/discharge setting and let it run through a few cycles before using it?? That is one way to do it, but it wastes time and battery cycles. Another way is to run it for 20 minutes or so each time (I think that will be well short of LVD) and then charge it back up. The Digger's motor system should not stress the pack in the least, so no worries about running it hard.
    5. what should my settings be for the charge/discharge cycle as for amps etc. ?? 6A charge, 2A discharge (though limited to 10W.) Discharge will go MUCH faster if you just drive the thing and have fun.

it mentions not letting the battery discharge below 70% of the batteries C rate which would be 145 amps if i am correct? Are you sure the instructions are referring to C-rating and not CAPACITY? Where are those instructions found?
    6. will the charger prevent it from discharging below 70% of the C rate or must i do something in the settings? if so what should those settings be? Same answer as above. However, the Easy Peak Plus discharges to a level of 3.0v/cell. I don't like to discharge that low.
    7. when my son is running the truck, how will i know when it is time to stop running it and charge the battery? my concern is when he would be running the truck when i am not home. is there a specific sign that i could tell my wife to look for?? i've read threads that say as soon as you notice the truck starting to slow down? If you have the LVD enabled (green light on ESC) then the power will be cut well before the battery is in any danger of damage.
    8. how long can i keep the battery fully charged? ksb (me) says 48 hours @ most.
    9. what should my settings be for the storage mode on the charger and how long can i store the battery after using this setting?? @ Settings: can't tell w/o a charger in hand. @ storage length: I'd recommend cycling them every 4-6 weeks to decrease the chance of the chemicals becoming inactive.
    10. is there anything else i should know or do when dealing with the lipo batteries?? if so please let me know.
    thanks all in advance.
    That battery will likely allow you to run long enough that your motor will be more in danger of overheating than any other damage (crashed aside) happening. Keep your motor cool enough to be able to leave your finger on it for three seconds without pain/extreme discomfort. This applies to brushed motors like the Titan 12T. Brushless motors will get hotter, necessitating use of a IR temp gun.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =