Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Converting to electric,

I hate haveing to allways tune my engine every time i run my slayer. So i am going to convert it to electric. I see that tekno has a conversion kit that seems every body who dose the conversion use. I am thinking about ordering this kit, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXZBF2 But i want to use the stock 2spd transmittion and disc break if i can. I want my slayer to be a nitro slayer just with out the engine. So dose any body know anything about this tekno kit? Can you still use the stock 2spd tranny and disc break?

Why would you want to convert it to electric? Once you get the tune down perfect, it is so much fun to drive and use. If you convert it to electric, it just becomes a short course e-revo. To me, nitro is what makes the Slayer so much fun to drive. I no expert on electric stuff, so I can't help with that... But, one thing I do know is, depending on what kind of electric motor you put in it, moslty brushless motors, could destroy the plastic gears... I not sure... It could hurt the 2nd gear change mechanisim too... Any one else know? Just my .2 cents! Hope this helps!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    another victim for converting nitro into an electric.....huh bud, you might wanna consider locking your 2nd gear cause your first gear will be a torque monster also locking your 2nd gear eliminate electrical brake which means less weight.
    there are few things you can do the 2nd gear lock out and this is one of them

this is my integy motor mount hate it or like it but its working great for me, LOL.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | 360mm XO-1 GT |

RC Qualifier
    I think the Slayer is the best SC truck out there. But where i bash my trucks people dont like the noise all day and i just cant stand all the keeping up you need to do. You gotta allways tune them, Clean them and all that crap. My engine only has 7 tanks through it and it still in like new condition so i will put it on ebay and take what i can get for it.

And i was kinda liiking forword to useing the 2nd gear, And disc break. I dont know if i need to upgrade to stronger gears but i will probably keep the disc break. I still want it to be just like the stock slayer just with an electric motor. But if it is best for the gears i will lock the 2nd gear. And by locking the 2nd gear i cant use the disc break? It's not that huge of a deal i guess. And do you get reverse with the 2nd gear locked? Or is that only on the revo with optidrive?
    Last edited by JohnnyT1992; 08-11-2012 at 10:55 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Oh and i bought this kit, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tekno-RC-Bru...06%26rk%3D1%26

I wish i knew integy made a motor mount. lol

with 2nd gear lock out you dont need the electrical brake, the motor will do all the braking and yes it will go reverse. yes you can still use your electrical brake if you want to you just have to disable your brake thru your ESC. take note that your motor mount is 42mm diameter so when you buy the motor its that size.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the info. I might take the disc break out if i dont need it. I just thought it would be better to use the disc break instead of the motor break. And i did not look into the spec's yet but i would like to use a CC momba monster motor and ESC. Would that fit in my tekno mount?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyT1992 View Post
    i would like to use a CC mamba monster motor and ESC. Would that fit in my tekno mount?
    yep, those are built for it. wish you luck and welcome to the dark side.

RC Qualifier
    Sweet, That is the motor i will for sure be useing. I will try to get my slayer engine and stuff on ebay tonight to help fund my motor. Hopefally i have it running soon.
    Last edited by JohnnyT1992; 08-12-2012 at 02:36 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Okay, If the mamba monster motor has a built in break for the truck i guess i will remove the disc break. I think an extra servo really is just a waist of power if the motor has a built in break. So how do i remove the disc break from the transmittion? And how do i lock my 2nd gear? What is the easyest way?
    Last edited by JohnnyT1992; 08-12-2012 at 02:45 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, The 2nd gear lock looks easy to do. I have so many screws around from my Slash and stampede i should not have a problem findeing 3 little ones. And should i remove the shift piont screw and spring? I seen this vid and the guy said to remove that too, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGpjmVqx2WI

And thank you for helping me out with all this info and stuff, I really do appreciate it.

you dont really have to, you can just screw it in more to were the lever sticking out to catch the other end it would also act a safety lock besides the 3 screws. if you look at the picture again you see it sticking out and engage.

RC Qualifier
    I dont really see what i am saposed to be looing at in the pic, But i will be takeing my tranny apart to lock the 2nd gear and i am sure i will see what you are talking about. Should i screw it all the way in? And what pinion gear should i use? Do i have to change the spur gear? Because i bash on grass and stuff so i would need to gear for that. I would think i need to just change the pinion

RC Qualifier
    Is it easy to remove the disc break? And how do i get the disc break off?

yes it is, once you got the tranny off theres 2 screws that holding the caliper, just unscrew it and for the disc brake unscrew the grub screw that is holding the axle, it should come off easy.

RC Qualifier
    I got my tekno kit today. It is veary nice and seems to be worth the cost. I will install it this saturday and i will also lock my 2nd gear while i am at it. It will be probably 2 weeks untill i get my motor though

thats good news man, soon you'll be running that beast.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah i am super excited. I have to wait to get it because i have stuff for sale on ebay and i am useing that $ for my motor and it will proabably be in my account by next friday or sooner. It sux waiting but it is okay. I still have my Slash 4x4 to bash.

What are some decent batterys i should get? I was thinking of 4000mah 11.1v 3s batts but i dont know.

are you going 6s right away or is is just one 3s your using? a single 3s is'nt going to last your run time. if your getting the MMM, a 4s is a good starting point. i know i'm satisfied with 4s for now,
    Yeah i am super excited. I have to wait to get it because i have stuff for sale on ebay and i am useing that $ for my motor and it will proabably be in my account by next friday or sooner. It sux waiting but it is okay. I still have my Slash 4x4 to bash.

What are some decent batterys i should get? I was thinking of 4000mah 11.1v 3s batts but i dont know.

RC Qualifier
    I can do 4s, 6s what ever. Is there a adapter you can buy that allows me to plug 2 batts into my esc? I really hate makeing plugs and would rather just buy them. And what kind of run time will i get with 4S? 6S would not be too expencive though. I cant use the nurf bars anymore though.

RC Qualifier
    Okay i removed my disc break but i cant get the 2 pins out on the driveshaft that held the disc in. Is it okay to leave them in? Because i dont see a way to get them out

RC Qualifier
    Well i guess i am not getting my momba system for a while. I have my slayer all done, All of the conversion is like 98% done and i have my tranny locked into 2nd gear. I have a VXL system in my slash 4x4 with a 7cell nimh battery. Van i put that in my slayer to drive around on the street and test untill i get my Momba system?

Is there a adapter you can buy that allows me to plug 2 batts into my esc? I really hate making plugs and would rather just buy them.
    And what kind of run time will i get with 4S?.
    on my REVO-E with my 4s i get a good 35 mins run conservatively or if i run it constantly i get 25 mins.
    you can check out ebay, thats where i bought mine. you need to buy the parallel plug for your vxl3s. parallel will double your mah while your voltz stays the same. series plug on the other hand will double your voltz but the mah stays the same.
    you dont want serries for your vlx3s cause its only rated at 3s. so let say you have 2x 3s or 2x 2s on series it will burn up your ESC instantly.

Okay i removed my disc break but i cant get the 2 pins out on the driveshaft that held the disc in. Is it okay to leave them in? Because i dont see a way to get them out
    LOL they dont come off, just leave it alone.

RC Qualifier
    Lol yeah they are in there really good. I had a little issue with sombody on ebay but that is solved so i will still be getting my motor soon. I have finished the conversion on my slayer. My tekno kit is all installed and all it needs is the motor and ESC. I will probably go 4s if you are getting atleast 25min runtimes. I bash alot on grass and stuff so my runtimes will proabably be lower. Can you post a link to the battery adapter i eill need for my momba max esc? I would like to use traxxas plugs.

And if i use the actual disc break i can still use the 2 speeds? And i have to turn the motor break off? I locked my 2nd gear but i dont like doing that and i would like to keep my transmittion stock and still use my disc break. Can i do that?

yes you can still use your 2 speed tranny but i warn you that fisrt gear is a torque monster and can literally shread your gears easily if your on throttle all the time, with 2nd gear locked you can get away with it. yes you have to disable your ESC brake if you want to keep the disk brake.

RC Qualifier
    Man i forgot about the gears getting messed up. So the only real way to go electric on the slayer/revo is to lock the 2nd gear? I wish there was a pre built gear that was locked to the 2nd gear. Because i dont have the right size screws and i dont have a dremel so it is hard for me to do the 2nd gear lock.

i'm going to try to fit my e-revo tranny onto my REVO-E conversion and see what i can do with it. if i can get it to fit right i'll buy a 2nd e-revo tranny for back-up.

RC Qualifier
    I was thinking of getting a e-revo roller and changeing over the slayer parts. Because it allready has a bl transmittion and all that. But it is too expencive. but that is just way too expencive. I wish there was another way to lock the 2nd gear though. Now i have to take my tranny back out. It is such a PITA.

RC Racer
    Hi Guys, i have two EREVOs and was thinking of turning one into a E Slayer. After reading your thread and looking at the conversion kit and parts diagrams, why dont you get a tranny, chassis and centre shafts off ebay. Everything else on the slayer will fit directly. I have also seen a couple of guys run SC8 shells to get the scale look

RC Qualifier
    That is probably a good idea. I am not gonna get an e-revo though. I like the cnc chassis slayer/revo have.

sometimes you just gotta experiment with the nitro platform and turn it into even more mean machine. i completed my conversion revo 3.3 into a REVO-E.

one guy did his with the plastic chassis and it look like this.

RC Qualifier
    humayrayakongkinaon, Do you think it would be a good idea to put ca glue on the screws before i screw them into the 2nd gear to lock it? Do you think it would help keep it more secure?

And your revo is bad *****. I might convert my slayer into a revo over winter maybe. I just love the SC trucks though. lol I have a slash 4x4 too but i am probably just going to use that for parts and bolts when i need them i have a slayer and i dont want another SC truck unless it's a 5ive T. lol
    Last edited by JohnnyT1992; 08-19-2012 at 09:50 PM.

no need to glue it, its in there tight. someone did (Oomps build) a 2nd gear lockout, he machine mill a aluminum almost similar to the stock look but with a larger diameter then he cut out the part where those 2 pins burried on the gear.

RC Qualifier
    Oh i dont want to go overboard. I only ask because i dont have a dremel and heads on my screws are not as large as yours are in your pic. But they are in tight and my 2nd gear seems to be locked. I just dont want the 2nd gear to become unlocked for what ever reasion in the future. I am gonna put some washers on my screws so it ads more surface area to metal part on the 2nd gear.

And how did you get that RX box to fit? The teknow rx bog is huge. It can hold 2 TQi RX's. lol

I am gonna put some washers on my screws so it ads more surface area to metal part on the 2nd gear.

And how did you get that RX box to fit? The teknow rx bog is huge. It can hold 2 TQi RX's. lol
    that might not be a bad idea. you just give me a tip to open mine up and work on it, LOL.
    my RX box were from a stampede 4x4 its holding on double sided tape.

RC Qualifier
    i have the same rxbox laying around. I would rather use that one them the tekno one. The tekno battery trey is veary nice though. And i though your screws had enough contact with the metal part in your 2nd gear as it is. lol If you are gonna add washers.

it does have enough contact but like you said for whatever reason, its better to be safe than sorry and my mind is always set to safe than sorry, LOL. my plan is to cut a piece of aluminum then shape it circle with the diameter enough to cover then drill 3 holes.